My Update (Two Years Later)

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by coffee_girl, Aug 2, 2018.

1. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      My first acoustic trauma was far worse than my second one. I think the fact that I had a compromised audio system made it far easier to have the second trauma.
      Don't give up, I still think you will see improvement

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I agree with the poster above, I also had a 2nd exposure where a car tire blew up about a block from where i was walking...it was so loud that people 2 blocks away were jerking around to see where it came from. My ears shrieked for months afterwards. Eventually it lowered and (weirdly) my ears are better now than before the 2nd exposure. Your ears take time to heal, if you are too stressed out or over anxious you are not giving your body the resources it needs to maintain the healing process. I also meditate regularly, and never allow myself to get too stress over something...focus on hobbies, things you enjoy...anything to take you as far away from T as possible (I know it sounds ridiculous)...but the less your mind is on it the easier it will be for you both mentally and physically to overcome.

• Like Like x 4
    3. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I am in 11 months and in and saw 0 improvement, well 0 improvement since the worsening in January. I am dealing with black eye floaters and visual snow which is so bad. My T is always a 8/10 (blasting high pitched dentist drill) that competes with peoples voices when talking. I hope I reach where you and @coffee_girl are but I seriously doubt that.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Coffeebean

Coffeebean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @coffee_girl

Thank you for your very positive messages! I am so grateful for people like you who come back after they have gotten their life back together. A lot of people, understandingly, move on and don't return to the forums. This leads to a distorted picture of these conditions, as all you read are the posts of people who have just gotten T or H and are in a depressed and anxious state, or a small minority who struggles with it longer than usually due to the severity or other factors in their life. But indeed, it is possible to move on and to have a happy life, and your posts confirm that once again. Thank you!

P.s. As my name implies, I also love coffee :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      stay strong and relaxed, don't give up bro, we only live once.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We only live once? We sure do but now with blasting tinnitus, visual snow, etc

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      i know how you feel, just take some meds and stay positive.

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. blablabla

blablabla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music festival
      I got black eye floaters from the last solar eclipse, august 2017. Was pretty bad, and I was quite depressed when I was outside in the sun, or looking at screens (which is all day). Then in may 2018 I got T from music festival (followed by a club a month later, then 2 ambulances at an intersection), along with ETD issues and blocked ears. As soon as that, I forgot all about the floaters. They are still there when I want to find them but I can't concentrate on them for more than 3 seconds maximum with full effort.

I think T is very similar to floaters. I think that is what habituation would feel like.

Sometimes I pretend the tinnitus is the sound of my brain running, like a machine. This thought helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is my favorite success story :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Low 20 years high sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      You are a very brave girl. Wish I was too.

• Funny Funny x 2
    11. Jack886

Jack886 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This thread gives me so much hope. My T started shortly after my first professional job out of college.

My T started out mild then cranked up to 8-9/10 loudness with intense anxiety. I am on a benzo med for now and it’s like 2/10. 8-9/10 was something out of a nightmare. Took a med when I saw a real need for it.

@coffee_girl did literally nothing but protect her hearing and got amazing fading over a year. I hope that happens for me.

I got other stuff in my care arsenal just in case....

As a huge coffee lover myself I do half decaf now soon full decaf. Gonna try and get into a clinical trial for neuromodulation. No more headphones! Avoiding loud environments. Sound therapy and sound enrichment.

I hope I can get to the point you got to where you hardly ever hear it within 1-1.5 years.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I can relate to that. After about 8 months in that got old.

I feel like I've paid my dues and I'm ready to make it. :)

I saw two ent's initially and while the hearing test was good info they couldn't do a thing either. I had a one year checkup scheduled last month and I cancelled because I don't see anything coming from the meeting besides a bill. Don't get me wrong, if something seems wrong with my ears I'll have them looked at. I'll still be very careful of tests.

I've come to that realization too. I'm a lot easier on myself than I used to be.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I wish more people that disappear would come back and let us know how they made out.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. ageoflove

ageoflove Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      this is a wonderful success story. thank you for coming back and sharing this.

in some replysreplys are a few things which a can't understand on tinnitus forums...

i think it's good when you have earplugs with you, especially when you go out and visit a concert or loud clubs/pubs.

however protecting hearing in all louder common situations is a bit alien to me. for example if you are on a small childrens birthday party. you will for sure have sound spikes of 100dB or sometimes more. i don't think life can be beautiful if you worry about possible further damage all the time. if you do you should lock yourself up in a room and never go out again.

also this kind of headphone panic....
      if you don't use headphones at very loud levels for extended times they won't harm your ears.

it doesn't matter if 60dB hit your eardrum coming from headphones or from somewhere else outside. dB is dB. thats a scientific fact.

i didn't find any ent who told me to don't use headphones anymore...
      all ents told me there is absolutely no evidence that reasonable used headphones or random louder everyday noises will have impact on tinnitus or hearing function.

if headphones, or louder music events are - sooo bad - than ents would already know! they for sure don't know about art of state science like "hidden hearing loss" etc. but they observe that in real life tinnitus (excluding the professional djs, musicians,...., with already relevant hearing loss) doesn't make you more vulnerable to everyday life louder sounds. maybe psychologically more vulnerable.

in fact they tell you to avoid tinnitus forums because they make you crazy and are filled with people whi dont get over their tinnitus and worry about it multiple hours per day.

and if i see people with xxx thousands of posts i don't think those guys are the best role models for fresh tinnitus sufferers.

but back on topic, thank you for a wonderful habituation story!

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. nimx

nimx Member

It is non sense.
      I don't ever protect my ears, the fear that it will raise in volume is the very thing that makes it worse. At night it is sometimes loud but it doesn't bother me. I don't mean I do things that will damage my hearing like listening to music at insane volume, that would be stupid, I mean I just don't avoid headphones at all, I don't avoid noisy places or partying or concerts, as far as the volume is not insane (too near to speakers), I never use ear plugs. If it gets worse, I've already been there when I was in fear with multiple tones and hearing it even in noisy places, so I don't care. Now it's quieter, It's just like if it is gone. The only thing that lowered it is leaving that state of fear. If it will go away it's OK, if it doesn't go away it's OK. When you reach this awareness you stop looking for a cure because nothing has to be cured. And don't worry about science not putting effort in it, because there will still be, unfortunately, many people who won't reach this awareness. But if you can, do it because you have saved yourself a lot of suffering and money.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. Ken219
      No Mood

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @nimx Just read your post. That is amazing. Your attitude is so positive! I wish you can bottle it and offer it to me.

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. nimx

nimx Member

To be positive can sometimes be good attitude, but too often in my opinion is like faking it, pretending everything will be fine, but no amount of positivity can always make thing the way you want. And if things don't change the way you want you could fall back to a state of despair (happened to me several times years ago). Instead it's realist and took years of working at an emotional level to learn to surrender and let go. Hope to be of any help for anyone trying to walk this path.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

18. nimx

nimx Member

@Bill Bauer
      Don't get me wrong. I'm not encouraging to do bad things for your T. Be cautious but not avoidant. Also because at a biologic level, fear and stress and preoccupation has its own reaction in the brain leading to over excitability and this leads to sensitization. So just get slowly back to your old habits only when you are out of the state of fear. Otherwise even otherwise neutral stimuli can be detrimental. You can notice it by yourself with any other issue you have, not only T.

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Here is why I think the advice above is wrong:
      I agree that stress can cause a T spike. However, for many of the horror stories, the person exposed him or herself to moderate noise and was not worried. After all, the noise is not even that loud. Then one gets a spike and that is when one gets stressed out. In those cases, the spike was what has caused stressed and not the other way around.

• Agree Agree x 3
    20. GSC
      Volatile

GSC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I really don't get why some people don't protect their ears.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Not sure I agree with you, Bill. I have had very few spikes in the last 14 months and each one was absolutely brought about by emotional stress, not noise of any kind.

We are all different, of course.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wasn't saying that spikes due to stress are impossible. I was just pointing out that not all spikes are due to stress. Whenever someone gets a spike as a result of moderate noise that couldn't have possibly harmed their hearing (e.g., a spike due to being in a restaurant with many people talking, but no music), Ed likes to say that it had to be the result of stress. I am just saying that the person was at that restaurant because they were not worried about the noise. They thought that the noise couldn't possibly harm them. This means that stress was not the reason for their spike.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    23. nimx

nimx Member

I don't agree, I'm sorry. Not being worried about exposing themselves to loud noises doesn't mean they are not worried in general, we don't know their nervous system health at that given moment. There is a research I've read two years ago on veterans, they found out hearing loss alone (due to hearing damage) was not sufficient to bring on T and if it did it was not so distressing unless there was also severe stress at the moment or just after the exposure to loud noises (I. E. explosions). And they were not worried about the loud noise for sure. Anyway I don't like to report researches to support my thesis, because what I'm personally reporting is a different story. A different paradigm, that other people reported too. But it strongly depends upon emotional regulation, not positivity nor that this makes T vanish(though there are greater chances). And I get some out there can't accept or believe it(I was that way for three years) , it's not their fault, but this very attitude of non acceptance is a byproduct of the dysfunctional regulation of the deepest brain structures, that are fortunately moldable to a sufficient extent.

• Funny Funny x 1
    24. Ken219
      No Mood

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I can say this. I went to an ENT when my tinnitus was mild. The ENT did not mention exposure to loud noise. I thought it was an aging process. A year later after a few events, bang loud noise. I don't know if I avoided the events would my tinnitus have stayed the same, but I never had the chance. This was before the 'internet'.

25. nimx

nimx Member

I don't think so. There is people who protect their ears and still have a worsening t. Noise induced damage is usually not sufficient alone. It could be for hearing loss though, that's why protecting your own ears when necessary is good habit.

26. ringinghours

ringinghours Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      This post has so many false statements. For most people it does get better over time. If it doesn't go away in 1 month that doesn't mean it will be permanent, chronic tinnitus is considered 6 months and more and even then there are stories of people whose tinnitus disappeared after years. It sounds like you were able to habituate to your tinnitus, that happens to a lot of people who have the condition long-term.

27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Well, it has happened to me, and I know what it was that has happened. Likewise, those people are the best judges (as they have the most information about their own case) about what was the cause of their spike. They are aware of the "stress hypothesis" and they say it wasn't the stress, but the actual sound.
      What?! Where is this coming from?
      Most people on this site have no measurable hearing loss.

28. nimx

nimx Member

I won't bet it, most people is largely unaware of their emotional state, let alone their nervous system state, also chronic stress is seen as normal nowadays. If everyone was aware of these non conscious states I doubt we would see so many people suffering mental struggles, it's an epidemic in the last years and still raising, add also all stress related issues which have a physical expression. Even well recognized stress related issues like chronic pain, back pain, gerd, are still treated just with pills or even worse surgery, and if for some minority of cases this approach works, for most don't, even if a growing part of the medical community is saying that it has some strong correlation with emotions and stress, people still can't believe it for some reason. And if you were right I probably won't be here writing anything at all.
      About hearing loss and noise induced damage, I was just reporting some research. Not that it needs any research to find out that not everyone with hearing loss or who is often exposed to extremely loud noises gets T, and even in these cases there are reports of it fading away, BUT I want to point out again I'm not here to talk about the various causes or why it sometimes goes away and other times don't, my point is NOT this.

29. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      We will have to agree to disagree. One thing that does makes sense to me is that everyone who believes that he or she can't distinguish between being stressed and not being stressed should adopt your suggestion of assuming that whatever happens to them is due to stress (despite there being other possible causes, and despite the fact that the spike happened right after the possible cause, and hasn't happened in the past or future, despite one being stressed throughout all of that time). By the way, your text that I quoted above is another way of saying that your hypothesis is not falsifiable (so can't be tested, and that makes it a belief).

30. nimx

nimx Member

Are, perhaps, the other possible causes testable? Why my hypothesis, that has been taken under examination in various research papers as a possible cause, just a belief, and your possible causes, which yield to inconsistent findings at the moment, a proof? Stress is a general term, by the way, I'm referring to brain areas dysfunction, the ones which control emotions and, just as your possible causes, have been under research and has been proved their influence on nervous system and immunity and several symptoms, gaining importance lately. I agree that we have to disagree,i just find it curious that people is willing to find a magic cure and spend money on things largely not understood while having a possible solution under their nose. And if the problem lies in the brain as is thought in the last years, well no pill can reorganize the brain, and I guess it will never come soon , but the brain reorganizes itself with stimuli and experience so we have the chance. Mine was just the last report among the others about its feasibility.

It's been a pleasure to talk to you, Bill.

Have a nice day

• Funny Funny x 1