My Wasted Tinnitus Life

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ian Aldred, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Ian Aldred

Ian Aldred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      At age 15 I noticed a blocked up feeling in my left ear that caused me significant high pitch hearing loss accompanied with an intense high pitch ring in my ear. I went to several doctors including audiologist and ENT's, all of them have no clue what causing it. Apparently I'll just have to cope with it. Will I did for 4 years successfully. However, recently about twin months ago it got even worse for no reason. I mean it is unbearable, I have insomnia because of it and severe anxiety. At times I've even been contemplating ending it all just to stop the noise.

All the regular coping methods have failed me.

Again I went to the doctors and the said the hearing did get worse but they gave me NO damn solutions. I can't keep going like this. I need a solution, if not, I'm almost certain my quality of life will keep decreasing. Also I hate how doctors are so not understanding of my suffering, it's like it's no big deal. But to me this is the worst thing that could happen, I need quite, I can't study for college as well anymore, my girlfriend is becoming worried of my depression and anxiety as well.

If anyone is reading this please help me with some ideas of what I can do. I'm growing more desperate by the day. It is slowly ruining my mental health day by day. I was happy before it got worse a few months ago. I just don't know what to do anymore.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ian Aldred
      Hi Ian,
      Sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with tinnitus at the moment. I know how loud and intrusive tinnitus can be and what it can do to a person. If there is no underlining medical problem that has made your tinnitus increase think back to what you have been doing as this might give a clue. Do you listen to music through headphones? If you do then I advise you to stop and don’t even listen to them at low volume. Do you play computer games wearing headphones?

Have you been attending clubs, concerts or other venues where loud music is played and not wearing ear protection? Even with noise reducing earplugs you still need to be careful of loud sounds. Do you go to the cinema regularly and if so do you wear earplugs? As I’ve previously mentioned, if there is no medical reason for the increase in your tinnitus, the usual cause is exposure to loud sounds. At the time they might not seem loud to you but can cause trauma to your auditory system so try and be careful.

If you are able to see a hearing therapist for some tinnitus counselling it would be a good idea. Hopefully, your tinnitus will calm down. Try to avoid quiet rooms during the day and especially at night as this will make you focus on the tinnitus more and it will seem louder and more intrusive. Use a sound machine that plays nature sounds by your bedside and set the volume slightly below your tinnitus. Try not to mask the tinnitus so that it can’t be heard.

Please click on the link below for more information on tinnitus and coping techniques.
      All the best

Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/an-introduction-to-tinnitus.12100/

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi,
      Maybe trying a relaxation therapist could help. Especially if you can find one who already has experience with T sufferers.
      Hang in there Ian.

• Genius Genius x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk Ian.
      Don't suffer with depression and anxiety as their is help.
      Reach out for help from the Mental Health as they will give you great support in your home.

Make sure you are getting enough sleep and medication to help short term if needed.

Get out for a daily walk in the fresh air
      Let your tutour know you have tinnitus and extra support in place for you with studying.
      We are here for you anytime....lots of love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Can you describe how loud this new noise is? Does shower mask it??

6. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Ian,

It sounds like you are in the midst of a spike. Have you been involved in any traumatic or stressful event as of late? Has your diet changed, ie. more sodium/sugar/caffeine? Not waking up refreshed every morning?

Do you have a history of high blood pressure in your family? Did the doctor check it for you and give you a script for blood work? Perhaps an MRI could also be helpful. You'll want to explore the medical route thoroughly to rule out any underlying causes, IMHO.

Have you listened to "masking music" on Youtube? There are many tracks on their with countless hours of soothing sounds. You can try that.

Also, as stated earlier, avoid any and all exposure to loud sounds as that could be the trigger to aggravating your tinnitus.

Hang in there and best of luck. You are really young so do not under estimate your recuperative powers!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ian Aldred

Ian Aldred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Michael Leigh
      First thank you to everyone who responded to my thread so rapidly, I really appreciate it being a new member to this site and all.

But in response to Michael, I rarely listen to headphones and if I do it's not to loud. I have gone to a couple rock concerts but I never notice it effecting the tinnitus, in fact my tinnitus started even before I went to loud shows. Believe me I'm doing my absolute best to preserve what hearing I have left. Unfortunately, I have no hearing therapists anywhere near my home town. :( and I do try those nature sounds, it used to work, but since it recently got worse all it does is bug me more you know? Hearing two different sounds in my head almost makes it worse for me honestly.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ian Aldred

Ian Aldred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Julien87
      That's a good idea !I'll see if I can find any that have treated T patients before. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ian Aldred
      If louds sounds hasn't caused your tinnitus to increase Ian, and you are sure of that, then something else is causing it. Try and get a second opinion at ENT.
      Best of luck
      Michael

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ian Aldred

Ian Aldred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I actually already set myself up an appointment with a psychiatrist, my appointment is Nov 8. Hopefully they will take me seriously unlike my general Doctor. Hopefully with the medication I'll be able to get more sleep for the short term. It's just been so much harder to cope with lately... My gf also agrees walks outside are a good idea. I try to do them when I can.

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Hi mate, sorry to hear you are struggling, I find walks in nature-rich places really peaceful. Past day and a half my T has been a little more noticeable, so i know how it feels to have it on the backburner then suddenly spike up.

Tinnitus Masking noise / Tinnitus Remedy - 3...

Try these sounds..

Raise volume to only just below your T sound.
      Hopefully you get some help soon!

12. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hang in there Ian!! seeing a therapist will definitely help you relax more and maybe talking about it your T would be good. Let us know how it goes! Wishing you the very best :)

• Like Like x 1