Nasal Endoscopy — Licking the Scope?!

Discussion in 'Support' started by MarmadukeFan, Aug 28, 2015.

1. MarmadukeFan

MarmadukeFan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      n/a
      I'm new to this forum, so please pardon me if I am not posting this in the correct place.

Today I had my second nasal endoscopy. (The first was four years ago.) The doc who did the first endoscopy has since retired, so today I got a young, new doctor and he asked me to do something odd before the nasal endoscopy: He asked me to put the scope in my mouth, and lick it!

That just seems...well...weird. He wasn't the most pleasant fellow to begin with, so I didn't want to upset him by asking why. Plus, the thought did cross my mind that maybe this is some new technique that they're teaching the young 'uns in school these days. But, as I am touching the scope to my tongue, I am thinking, "Great. Now all that bacteria that is on my tongue (everyone has it on their tongue) will now be in my nasal cavity. Disgusting!"

Plus, I specificially remember the doc from five years ago disinfecting the scope IN FRONT OF ME (this guy did not), and he NEVER asked me to lick the scope.

Anyone else have their doc ask them to do that before their nasal endoscopy? Or, if there are any docs reading this forum, is there a reason to have the patient lick the scope prior to it going into your nasal cavity?

Either way, I'm not going back to this doc. First, he was moody and rude and not a good listener. Second, after telling him how I have had severe sinus headaches, tinnitus nasal congestion and DAILY bloody noses for the past six years, then telling him what I do to self treat (neti pot, daily and frequent use of saline solution, bought two industrial air purifiers and replaced all carpeting in the house with hardwood floors) he told me to just "keep doing what you're doing. You're doing everything right."

Well, um, EXCUSE ME...but daily bloody noses and congestion headaches and tinnitus so bad that I have to occasionally miss work (and rarely, if ever, get a good night's sleep) because of it is NOT doing everything right. Something is amiss.

He did admit that the endoscopy showed "severe swelling" and "a lot of bloody crusting." Yet, as I said, he tells me to just keep doing what I am doing.

And I paid for an office call for this?!

Sorry for the added rant. My main question is whether anyone has had to "lick" the scope.

Many thanks for any responses.

2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      You talking about that nasty test where they run a tube up your nose and then down your throat? I have had it a few times. Answer to your question is: no.
      My question: Did you ask the doc why the heck he wanted you to do this? I can't imagine why saliva would be used on a sterile instrument.

Oh, and welcome to Tinnitus Talk @MarmadukeFan

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MarmadukeFan

MarmadukeFan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      n/a
      Yes, LadyDi; that is the test I am referring to.

I didn't ask him but, now that I think back on it, I think he's just a sicko. I recall he had this smirk on his face when he asked me to do it, and sort of half laughed when I did.

Saliva would be very dangerous, I would think, to the nasal cavity. Bacteria on the tongue that is harmless (because of the acid in our mouths which can kill many of those little critters) would easily survive and grow in the nasal cavity, which does not have the acid to counteract bacteria.

Now I am worrying that he may not have even sterilized the instrument after the previous patient. Yuk! I seriously hope he wouldn't do that, but now I just don't trust this guy at all. I think this guy is just off his rocker. Or a jerk. Or both.

I should have caught on when the office was empty for 90 minutes. (Yes, I waited 90 minutes in an empty waiting room, and was only called back after I went to the front desk to ask if I would be called back soon, as it was over an hour past my appointment time.) An empty doctors office is like an empty restaurant; you don't want to go there.

Anyway, thanks so much for your fast reply. I was just wondering if anyone else had had this strange approach during a nasal endoscopy.

4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Sounds like a gawdawful experience, @MarmadukeFan, sorry. As if that test isn't bad enuf...
      Anyway, not sure what country you are from but assuming most have a way for people to report bad doctors. This guy sounds like a prime candidate for reporting.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MarmadukeFan

MarmadukeFan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      n/a
      I agree, LadiDi. I'm in the US, in Illinois. I am definitely thinking of reporting him the more I think about it. The whole experience was just very strange.

And, worse, I not solution to the tinnitus, sinus issues, headaches, etc.

Oh well...onward and upward. Time to search for a new doc.

6. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Licking the endoscope!!?? Wth I've never heard that although I've done that procedure few times , report that guy it's a useless procedure anyways , he charges for that only to get more money , did you get tinnitus cause of it ? @MarmadukeFan

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MarmadukeFan

MarmadukeFan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      n/a
      Yeah. I agree. Sadly, no I did not get to the cause of the tinnitus.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea what the medical justification for licking would be, but, you definitely don't need to worry about this. There shouldn't be any acid in your mouth -- healthy saliva pH is slightly alkaline, around 7.4 -- and small amounts of saliva almost certainly end up in the sinuses and nasal cavity as a result of normal breathing / sleeping on your back / etc. Any time you cough or sneeze you are pushing saliva through that whole area.

• Like Like x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MarmadukeFan

MarmadukeFan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      n/a
      Thanks linearb!

10. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Well, I haven't had this procedure before so I wouldn't know, but that sounds quite odd. I would definitely write this individual up on yelp, zocdoc, heathgrades etc. to warn others out there about the poor bedside manner if nothing else.

I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience, that's awful. I agree, something is definitely amiss there if you're having so many issues and experiencing swelling etc. Clearly things could be better.

Have you tried a humidifier? I cannot say I have issues like yours, and I don't mean to say yours are simple enough to be fixed by more humid air, but I know that things getting dry is normally what causes my nose to bleed if it does, so maybe it would make things more comfortable.

Don't give up though, seek a second opinion with someone better, I feel there must be more help out there for you with a better physician.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MarmadukeFan

MarmadukeFan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      n/a
      Thanks, awbw8, for your encouragement. It is frustrating when issues like this go on so long. I do use a humidifier in the winter, but not in the summer.

12. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I think this calls for more than yelping, although get it out on social media always is good. You need to complain to the people who licensed this guy, and who have the right to revoke that license.

I do agree with @linearb, you probably aren't at risk for infection due to this. But it's a disgusting (and unnecessary) thing to make a patient do.

@MarmadukeFan: In Illinois (each state is different), the physician licensing agency is the Dept. of Financial and Professional Regulation.
      Here is the online link to file a complaint: http://www.idfpr.com/Admin/Complaints.asp

You want the first complaint form, the one under "Division of Professional Regulation" (it is in a blue copy block). The form seems pretty user friendly.

BTW: Some ENTs do the endoscopy test when looking for the case of tinnitus, some don't. It basically is looking for abnormalities, tumors, problems that might be relatled to tinnitus can be visually detected in the nasal cavity, throat and larynx. I had my multiple scopes done due to larynx problems, not tinnitus.

Good luck. PLEASE report this guy. State regulators are far more likely to take action if they start to see multiple reports on a physician. So adding yours could help future patients.

• Like Like x 2
    13. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Hi LadyDi, I agree, I should have added a little more to my post. I said he should use social media/public channels because if you file a report officially, it often takes a very long time (if ever) to get anything done to/about the doctor. In the meantime, that doctor is still seeing patients and those patients have no way to know that he has been officially reported. Healthgrades/yelp/zoc doc etc. are the only public way for people to know about doctors who aren't maybe doing a very good job prior to action actually being taken at a higher level.

But I completely agree with you, he should do both and thank you so much for providing all of those links and information!

• Like Like x 1
    14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it would be worth at least asking the practitioner what the reason was before escalating to a twitter war. While this seems unconventional and therefore a bit suspect, I personally would want to give the doctor some small benefit of the doubt before assuming that they're some kind of sociopath.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey, @awbw8, I thought your post was great. Social media definitely is good, helpful to consumers and much more immediate.

I just always encourage consumers to file complaints with regulatory agencies (its kind of part of my job) that, even though it takes some time, hopefully can and will lead to serious consequences for bad providers of all sorts. One problem is that people are understandably skeptical about doing this: takes time, isn't effective, action takes too long. But while much of that is true, its also true that regulators are much more likely to take action if they see multiple complaints.

Anyway, as always, appreciate our posts -- and you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I think it would be worth at least asking the practitioner what the reason was before escalating to a twitter war. While this seems unconventional and therefore a bit suspect, I personally would want to give the doctor some small benefit of the doubt before assuming that they're some kind of sociopath.

Good point, @linearb. I agree and should have thought of that. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    17. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      @LadyDi, ah that makes sense as you why you were so wonderfully prepared with all of the right links! We're so lucky to have such diversely skilled members around here.

Agree with everything you said and ditto on the appreciation :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MarmadukeFan

MarmadukeFan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      n/a
      Wow! Thanks @LadyDi! You just saved me a lot of time hunting around for the right link! FANTASTIC information!

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1