Neck Pain and Ringing Related?

Discussion in 'Support' started by HollowZer0, Mar 6, 2018.

1. HollowZer0
      Vegged out

HollowZer0 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure from power tool
      Hey guys, I’m just wondering if my tinnitus could be at least partially related to this dull neck pain that I am experiencing?

My T started about 6 months ago from loud noise exposure, but since then the constant-tone, high-pitched hum has reduced a lot. (I believe this tone was due to the noise damage.) This is not what this thread is about though.

I have had a stiff, painful neck for a long time now, even from before I got the T from the noise, but nowadays I feel like it might be worse. It’s mainly a dull, “hot” feeling pain in my left side of neck, and the right doesn’t hurt but is very stiff. I have less range of motion on the right side.

Since the sound exposure, I have had another high pitched, oscillating tone in my right ear only, in addition to the constant hum. The best way I can describe the oscillating tone is like a high pitched squeaky hinge repeatedly.

One weird feature of this oscillating tone, which makes me believe it might be caused by more than just the noise damage, is that when I push on my ear(right on the tragus) the noise intensifies a lot. This oscillating sound is only in my right ear, and is more bothersome than the PT and the constant tone.

For the past two months or so I’ve noticed I have pulsatile T as well, but only during certain situations. For example, my PT shows up when: getting up from bed, laying on stomach with head turned to the side, reaching down to lace my shoes, and while exercising. It usually only lasts a few seconds before going away, with the exception of exercise. While biking, it will start pulsating after about 20 minutes in the saddle and continue like that until I stop.

Basically my question is: could the neck tightness/pain be contributing to the oscillating tone and the PT? I can’t see why PT would start 4 months after noise damage, and I’m wondering if there’s more to it. As for the oscillating tone, I’m not sure if that counts as PT but I decided to include it anyway. The oscillating tone is like a pulsating squeak that pulses randomly, whereas what I call PT is a definite heartbeat/blood flow sound.

P.S. I’d like to give many, many thanks to all the helpful people that take time out of their days to help others on this website. The comments I’ve read through since this all started have been invaluable to me during my recovery process. Thank you.

• Like Like x 4
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @HollowZer0 To connect your oscillating pulsating tone to your neck tightness pain could be from forward head bending or head down on a pillow. An arteriovenous malformation (AVM) which isn't in the ear, but could be in the neck would be perceived as an oscillating whooshing sound in the ear, but I don't think that's one of your concerns.

Your tones with relation to noise exposure may be more somatic, a problem with your neck that strained bundles of nerves within your dorsal nuclear network, thus causing damage from sound. If you had ever fallen off your bike would be a possible reason for your T. You could have straighten your c spine from that, but it's more likely that you could have repetitive stress or injury per your upper trapezius by forward head bending. There's exercises to help this with a doctor's approval if he agrees that this is a problem.

Just some thoughts - somatic T can be related to muscle tension, but T is complex.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Liscbj

Liscbj Member

Tinnitus Since:
      lifetime
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I posted this when I introduced myself in another section. My experience: had my neck adjusted by a chiropractor recently and two of my four tones dissipated for several days. I'm back up to three tones this morning, but it was a nice partial reprieve.

• Like Like x 2
    4. ADM

ADM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuromuscular instability
      I've been seeing a physical therapists now for about 4.5 months. We are currently working to unlock my atlanto-occipital joint and increase strength in the neck. Simultaneously, we are using functional dry needling to alleviate any/all trigger points we can find that could be associated with tinnitus. These regions include the SCM muscle, suboccipital, levator, trapezius, masseter, and a few others. We have not yet discovered the epicenter of what we believe to be an auricular nerve constriction.

My ring increases with head tilting and jaw movement. Anyone else have experience with these symptoms and therapies that include strength training, dry needling, and neck mobility?

• Like Like x 1
    5. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      @ADM - I have relatively new experience with is. If I'm sleeping on my back, head tilted to the left, I wake up with barely noticeable cricket sounds in my left ear. But, if I sleep with my head to the right, I wake up either a tone or the sound of power line in my left ear. I'm also in therapy for my jaw and neck to include many stretches and trigger point therapy, along with a mouth/jaw orthotic for TMD that I wear 24/7. Truthfully, I'm struggling to measure success the past 2 weeks and it's driving my anxiety through the roof...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. ADM

ADM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuromuscular instability
      Yes, anxiety is no fun. An 8-count breath is critical. This was my training tool: .
      Melatonin for sleep when necessary. I am told by my PT that the body takes 6-8 weeks minimum to achieve worthwhile changes. I'm afraid 2 weeks might not show much success. Give it time. Relax into the process for long term. I'd love to hear what changes you might experience.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I had terrible neck pain and headaches that aggravated the hum / drone a bit. I was prescribed 5mg Flexeril and it helped with pain and lower the noise to base. I'm still recovering from whatever I did to my neck ( I was only gently streching the neck when I felt pain shoot up to my head)

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. fran dana
      No Mood

fran dana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      origin unknow.2016 get worse because of work in armament lab
      interesting thread

9. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      Hi folks,

I think my T may in part be neck/jaw related. Who can I see to get this checked out correctly. The ENT i have seen reckons my ear pain may be due to muscular tension to. Im in the uk.

Thanks.

10. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Would all of that show up on an x-ray?? Also I have tinnitus due to neck problems, why would the tinnitus be fine some days and worse the next?? It's not like my neck is improving.

11. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      @Greg Sacramento Yeah this seems to be me. First night I slept on my side I woke up the next day and my tinnitus was the lowest it's been in the 11 months I had it. Now I have to sleep on my side, instead of on my stomach with my head cocked to the left.

12. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mathew Gould Hi Mathew. Do you have the results of your neck X Rays yet from our PM discussions? It's good that you changed from sleeping on your stomach to your sides.

13. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trainingandrehabilitation. com is an excellent guide site for tinnitus that includes excellent pictures of the ear and excellent therapy videos.
      Another series is the Chapter series. One is Chapter 4 Trauma of the Cervical Spine. This site also includes therapy.

@Hazel

• Like Like x 2
    14. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Nope going to my general doctor Fri to get a RX for XRAYS for neck and upper back

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you work with computers a lot? :(

16. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I once posted the following on a different forum, but thought it would be good to post it here. I do this reflexology exercise 2x/day, and it helps me a lot. I am however, going to be starting PT therapy soon for my chronically challenged neck (originally injured in car accident).
      -
      In reflexology, where the big toe connects to the foot corresponds to where the head connects to the neck and torso. Here's an exercise to help send extra nerve energy to the neck, which "may" improve neck issues of various kinds:

Hold your left foot steady with your left hand, take hold of your left big toe with the fingers of your right hand, and then begin to twirl it, slowly and methodically. You will likely hear and feel various kinds of cracking as tension begins to release in the area. I would do it for at least 2-3 minutes, then do the same with the other foot.

I did this once for an ongoing VERY stiff neck that showed no signs of letting up, and was continuing to get worse, even after ten days. After twirling each big toe for 10-15 minutes one night, my stiff neck was 90% improved when I woke up the next morning! ""

To make this exercise even more effective, while you're twirling with one hand, use the thumb of your other hand to apply pressure on the arch of your foot (that's having the toe twirled). Start just below the ball of the foot, and press as firmly as is comfortable. Then slowly and methodically, start bringing your thumb applying the pressure down the arch of the foot.​

The arch corresponds to the spine, so the ball of the foot area corresponds to the upper back (which is almost always tight when there are ungoing neck problems). By the time you get to the middle of the arch, you're at the middle of the back area, etc.

The points along the arch will likely be tender in the beginning, but will decrease in tenderness substantially if you do this on a daily basis, and will likely be mostly gone within a week. I do this exercise about 1-2 minutes every day, and the difference it has made in my neck would be almost unbelievable for most people to even consider. But it DOES work for me.
      -
      I use a DMSO mixture on my neck as well. I don't consider it a drug, but some people may. DMSO's safety profile and effectiveness for a wide variety of ailments is almost unbelievable. DMSO is almost miraculous in its ability to improve circulation and reduce inflammation.​

• Helpful Helpful x 1