Need Advice! Difficult Choice of Antibiotic (Doxycycline vs. Ceftriaxone)

Discussion in 'Support' started by IvanRus, Jul 27, 2018.

1. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Hello friends!

I need to take antibiotics.
      I'm confused. The choice between doxycycline and ceftriaxone. In doxycycline, there is a side effect - noise in the ears in the instructions.

There is no side effect in ceftriaxone, but it should be used intramuscularly, mixed with lidocaine, which has side effects in the ears.

What is your advice? Did you have any experience with lidocaine, doxycycline?

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Ivan,

I am in the same boat as you.

Why are you needing antibiotics first?

I started with doxy. The first time I took it, I thought it had spiked my tinnitus badly, so discontinued it. However, a few months later, I was forced to take it again, and that time, I remained on it for about 5 months with no noticeable worsening of my tinnitus. (but was taking nicotinamide riboside, and was being given IV glutathione, magnesium, zinc 3 times a week alongside this).

Ironically, it didnt fix my problem. So here I am again, having to reconsider taking more antibiotics.

Recently, I tried amoxicillin. Probably like you, had read fairly extensively before taking the plunge. 3 days into the course, my tinnitus became intrusive all of a sudden, and remained this way for about a week after stopping 1500mg/day. It did help my infection though, so now I face a conundrum. Yet, you will find many people here referencing amoxicillin (myself included) as being a safer option (not even sure if it was the amoxil or just normal fluctuation of my t as I was nervous to take it in the first place).

Anyway, my tinnitus is largely background noise now, but obviously, like you, dont want to go backwards again.

In spite of the above, my opinion is that penicillins and cephalosporins are probably your safest option, but you want to be sure you are taking the correct antibiotic to begin with (hence why i am asking why you are taking it in the first place)

I have NEVER administered ceftriaxone (a cephalosporin) intramuscularly. The most common route is IV. Another consideration is dosage, and length of time you will be required to be on the antibiotics? do you know?

I have received lignocaine as a local agent during dental work many times. My t seems quieter for a day afterwards. I have also received massive doses of lignocaine, again as a local, during a liposuction procedure last year, in preparation for stem cell harvesting, with no adverse reactions (other than some heart stuff, which i wont bore you with).

Are oral antibiotics appropriate in your situation?

If so, alternatives to ceftriaxone are:

. Ceftin (ceuroxime) which I have taken with no adverse reactions

and

. Keflex (cephalexin) which I have taken many times, again with no side effects

Are you open to natural therapy?

You have many alternatives outside Western medicine that you might not have considered.

If you end up on a broad spectrum antibiotic, take a probiotic that contains saccromyces to prevent candida.

I hope this helps
      Let me know how you get on

Deb

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I need to take an antibiotic because of urogenital infection.

Penicillins do not suit me. Germs are resistant to them.

I stopped on doxycycline (in the form of doxycycline hiclate). This is a more rigid form for the stomach, but it is cheaper.

Tell me, in what dosage did you take doxycycline? 100 mg / 200 mg per day?
      What brand was doxycycline?

I'm thinking of changing my doxycycline to a more expensive one in the form of Japanese-made doxycycline monohydrate (trade name - Unidox solute).

Yesterday I had a slight nausea after taking, and today my head aches a bit. Is this normal?

Doxycycline should not be ototoxic, as I understand it.
      Of the tetracycline group of antibiotics, the most ototoxic, or rather even vestibulotoxic, is minocycline. But it is practically not used, and then, its toxicity is more evident in dizziness, rather than noise in the ears.

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Ivan,

Sorry to be personal, but which microbes are you dealing with?

If you are needing to take doxy, then I suspect you have a ureaplasma/mycoplasma related infection?

And if that is the case, then you are right in saying penicillins arent helpful. Then again, either would ceftriaxone, or any of the other cephalosporins because mycos lack a cell wall.

I was on 200mg doxycyline per day. I used a generic brand (doxylin) by alphapharm, containing doxycycline hydrochloride.

It is a possible side effect of the drug. You may be experiencing a herx (related to toxins released as you are killing bugs). Your liver might be struggling with it too. When my liver detox pathways were unhappy, i regularly experienced nausea and headaches. If this is the case for you, then take tumeric with piperine, which should help support your liver and relieve your symptoms. I was told to sit upright for an hour after taking the doxy too as it can cause gastric upsets. So, avoid taking it on an empty stomach if you can. The other thing is, if you do have an active infection, then that in itself would be sufficient reason to feel crap.

The reason why i asked you which infection you have is because i can also share information with you regarding altenatives to doxy. Stephen Buhner has written extensively about treating stealth infections with herbs. His books are available in kindle format on amazon.

I will say I tested positive with a ureaplasma urealyticum bladder infection years ago. I treated it back then with doxy. Made no difference to the uti. If it is a myco, there is controversy around treating it as some drs believe it is a normal part of the urogenital microbiome,

Id also take saccromyces to avoid candida. I didnt have issues with doxy as it is a narrow spectrum antibiotic.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I'm fighting staphylococcus.

Yesterday I drank half a liter of kvass (this is a drink in Eastern Europe with a low alcohol content of 1.2%, not considered alcoholic). Then I thought about the possible risks of concurrent intake of alcohol and doxycycline.

Tell me, did you drink a little alcohol while taking doxycycline?

It seems to me that now the tinnitus has worsened a bit ..

6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

Then why don't you do a second generation cephalosporin like Keflex (cephalexin) or IV ceftriaxone?

No. I don't drink alcohol. Havent since April last year, around the time I fell ill.

Why your perceived increased with tinnitus is beyond me. Noone can really tell you with certainty if it is the doxy or other ….I know Glenys cant take doxy because it affects her ears...I know of one other person who has made similar observations...…...I can only tell you that I took doxy for 5 months with no demonstrable worsening in my t or hearing thresholds.