Need Advice on a Benzo (Ativan): Potential Withdrawal Feelings?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Florida John, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, and possible head trauma
      Hello, I have had tinnitus over 20 years, at a level I learned to live with ok, until 2 months ago when I had a bad with drawl from coming off high dose of gabapentin way too fast, went to ER feeling bad not realizing yet it was gabapentin, the ER doctor ran blood work said I had bacteria infection, so i thought thats why i felt so bad, took antibiotic (bad move) I now realize it was a bad withdrawal,,,,,

In the ER they gave me drugs to calm down as i was in full panic mode, anyways here i am 2 months later and starting to get hooked on Ativan.

It was prescribed as needed, I started taking .50 ativan about 7 weeks ago,,at first it was a couple a week, then 3 pills a week, this last week it was 5, usually late day to calm down and then it helps with sleep, I am coming to depend on this stuff, as I am not functioning well at all, staying home,thoughts of I dont want to live a life like this, racing thoughts, Ativan calms (sedates me) and can deal better, however I dont want the future problems it can bring.

QUESTION: can i have withdrawal feelings from it taking it off and on during the week? If I take it 4 or 5 times a week, will i have withdrawals the days i dont take it? what are the symptoms of withdrawal?

Thanks
      John

2. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      What might help you at night is taking melatonin. I did that for a while when I reduced my klonopin dosage and it seemed to help. Also the past few days I have been taking lithium orotate. So far it has helped calmed me down. It is a different feeling than klonopin though at least for me.