Need Dental Work — Is Carbocaine Without Epinephrine Safe to Take for Someone with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Never, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Never

Never Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,

I'm new here and just signed up because I need dental work and am unsure if it is safe to take carbocaine with no epinephrine.

I saw a dentist and asked if it could cause tinnitus and was told it couldn't. However, I looked it up in a medical book I have, used by pharmacists where I live, and it does list tinnitus as an effect.

Does anyone know if carbocaine without epinephrine is safe to take? I can't figure out in this book if they are talking about carbocaine with epinephrine or not, it's not clear.

Also, I had not considered the issue of drills making tinnitus worse. Last time I needed dental work
      I had a number of cavities. My tinnitus is not that bad, so didn't even think about what the procedures could do...since then I've had exposure to loud noises which caused a spike (two day) and because of that I'm extremely concerned about anymore spikes.

I looked back in notes I made about the dentist visit and for about a week or so around the time I had dental work, (starting before I had it done) I had my ears blocking and unblocking, they would feel plugged up. After the dental work, the following day I noted I could barely hear out of one ear.

I am now concerned about what the sound of drills may do given it seems my hearing is now more sensitive to noise than it was then. I don't know if the temporary loss of hearing in one ear was from the drill noises, the anesthetic, or ,a coincidence given it seems my hearing was bothering me on and off anyway. To make matters that much more confusing, I also had topical benzocaine given to me.

I will be getting some teeth done with lasers which I've never tried before. I don't know if those are louder or quieter than drills?

Is there any help to be had for noise wearing ear plugs or ear protectors (like air traffic controllers wear)? Someone here noted it could make the situation worse?

2. Manex

Manex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced 1995, Azithromycin 2018
      I just had dental work today with lidocaine with epinephrine. My research said that was the better bet, but it wasn't that much of a difference. The drill was loud in my head, I wore ear plugs, but that didn't help too much. I don't know if it would make it worse - they are thinking it traps the sound in? Not sure.

Right now the Tinnitus is increased, but that doesn't mean it will be increased forever. I'm hoping that it's just reacting to the volume level and will come down.

The drill was loud but nothing like an MRI I had once.

I'm curious about the lasers that would be quiet, right?

I'll try to updae in a few days when things have had a chance to calm down.

3. Clint Azzopardi
      Woot

Clint Azzopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, Gentamicin or allaergy or both !
      Hi there, I did read a good number of threads here around dental work as I need dental work as well and I'm a bit paranoid about the whole thing. I need 4 extractions and denture or bridge.

From what I have read here wearing ear plugs isn't a really good idea due to the occlusion effect. Regarding lasers that is for sure much less noisy than the other type of drills.

Please let me know how your dental work goes.