Need Encouragement (Does This Get Better? Do People Habituate to Loud Tinnitus?)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sparkle92, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Sparkle92

Sparkle92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16, constant since 3/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus, Allergies, TMJ, Stress
      hey everyone, I am pretty new to the forums but would like to tell my story. I am 25 and getting married this year. I developed intermittent tinnitus after a bad virus and had at least 4 more colds after that. In March I developed constant, high pitched tinnitus. I just had an allergy test done and found out I'm allergic to every grass, weed and tree. I am taking turmeric, arches tinnitus formula and b vitamins. I am also going to try steaming for my nasal passenges. I also started nasonex. My ENT thinks I have etd and post viral tinnitus that may or may not go away. It's been almost two months of constant ringing and I'm trying to remain hopeful but it's hard.i just keep thinking that I am supposed to be enjoying my wedding year yet I'm not. I'll admit I have always had anxiety as well and this past year has been particularly bad since I think getting married is a big life event although it is a happy one too. I guess what I'm asking is does this get better? Do people habituate with loud t? I'm just afraid for my future so anything encouraging can help. Thank you.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Sparkle92.
      I also have multi allergies and tree and grass etc and find a good antihistamine helps keep the mucous down in my nose but my lungs really suffer .
      Steam inhalation is reall good.
      Most people get use to their tinnitus sounds over time and what triggers spikes for them.
      If your tinnitus gets unbareable then I would see audiology to see if Maskers or hearing aids can help mask it for you.
      Lots of love glynis

3. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Plus, as far as stress goes, planning a wedding! That's a joyful kind of stress (sometimes :) ) and a stress, nonetheless! Soooo ... be sure to get enough sleep, which is very restorative and helps with coping. And be sure to take a few moments for yourself, whenever you can - even a nice ten-minute walk outdoors, or sitting outside with a cup of tea, or anything that gives you a mini-relaxathon! Sending good vibes!

4. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      @Sparkle92 my T is also a high pitched sound. Nothing maskes it but after 2o+ years I am completely habituated to it. I do hope yours is temporary or will decrease in intensity...

5. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hey Sparkle:)Yes you can habituated to loud T!My uncle Seamus has intense T for 30 plus years and is completely habituated to it!He doesn't even notice it half the time even though he hears it over pretty much everything!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sparkle92

Sparkle92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you everyone for your replies! It makes me feel better that people get used to the sounds. I realize there are worse things in life as well and I should be grateful for everything I have. @zeroday and @bill 112 it's very good to know one can habituate with unmaskable T. I too hope mine goes down a bit. I think I need to lower my stress level and get more sleep. @glynis i am going to begin steam inhalation and take antihistamines too. A masker is a good idea too. @Path Maker I agree it's important to get adequate rest and do things for yourself that you enjoy. I can't let this be my only focus in life. Thanks again to all of you, it helps talking to others with experience and I wish all of you the best too! :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not to hijack your thread, but I was wondering if anyone has habituated to loud ultra high pitched (well above 10kHz) head tinnitus? This type just seems impossible to mask, it tries to compete with other sounds, and it's exacerbated by loud noises. I just don't see how one can habituate to that. It seems most success stories are from people that have mild tinnitus unfortunately.

Sorry, maybe I'm feeling a bit pessimistic today, but this is really wearing on me.

@Sparkle92
      Don't let what I say discourage you, your tinnitus doesn't seem to have been caused by trauma (hearing / nerve damage). That seems to increase your chances of it getting better.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sparkle92

Sparkle92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine is also head noise, it's pretty high too so I am wondering how this happened all from a virus. I may have high frequency hearing loss but am not sure yet. Also, stress makes the noise appear louder so I am trying to keep my stress level down. To answer your question @Alue , it seems like a lot of people habituate to high pitched T. I know someone personally who has had T for as long as he can remember. He has high frequency hearing loss and he is in his 60s or 70s now. He stays distracted and is involved in his work so it doesn't bother him.

9. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Define high pitched. 8kHz? or 16kHz?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sparkle92

Sparkle92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not sure, he didn't say unfortunately. I'm assuming since he had it for most of his life though that it is loud.

11. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      My left ear is 10 kHz and right ear 11 kHz with an additional tone in my mind that seems to modulate slightly...

12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I recall reading some of your posts about it. I hope I can get to that point if it doesn't go away or diminish.

How long did it take you to habituate to it?
      Did it ever increase in volume or was it ever reactive?
      Do you have hyperacusis?

It does give some of us hope, but this has just been 3.5 months of torture for me. This forum has a bias for the unfortunate ones that don't get better because they are generally the ones that stick around.

13. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      It's kind of difficult to say how long it took to habituate...I had severe hyperacusis for the first 6-8 months then it decreased in intensity to its present level and has not changed...I know the torture, the physical pain I went thru was almost unbearable to the point I thought I was going mad. I didn't even know it had a name or how it would progress...

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sparkle92

Sparkle92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have high frequency hearing loss. I had tinnitus for 5 months and it's only getting worse. I am stressed out from planning a wedding and buying a house/moving and other things. This new T tone today is ultra high pitched and is louder than everything. I don't know how to cope with this. Does it get better?