Need Help About Additional Tests

Discussion in 'Support' started by light rain, Jun 13, 2017.

1. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm going back to the ENT and will have another audiogram.

MRI is rescheduled yet again and he had previously mentioned a CAT scan which I'm not thrilled about either.

I was wondering about any other testing like an EEG with sound to check for vestibular hyperacusis.

I've seen other scans mentioned - like temporal bone or ultrasound for blood vessels.

Am I missing anything else I should consider mentioning. I know some of them loathe patients making suggestions but I'm wondering specifically what are some other options.

I have high-frequency hearing loss w/ tinnitus in one ear and balance nerve damage in other ear. I've done balance testing and blood work and previous audiogram.

Just wonder if anything else could be done in the meantime.

Also anyone else had CAT scan. Is it worth it as far as radiation exposure.

Thanks

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I am not sure, but what about an MRA/MRV to look at arteries and veins. I'm not sure when that test is warranted in relation to tinnitus.

3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Dr is looking for something pressing on the nerve so technically not for the T. Possibly a blood vessel can do that. Don't know if that's good or bad. Thanks.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I am afraid of the MRI because of the magnet and loud noise has such a physical reaction for me. I feel it strongly not just that it bothers my ears. Loud noise, small space :(

Do you think rad exposure in cat scan is worth it. Just your opinion. Thanks for the link - I appreciate it.

6. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The radiation from a cat scan can differ by 10% - age and weight factors and if dye injections are used.
      The radiation for a head scan is less than for any other part of the body.
      Guidelines for cat scans/CT in Federal Joint Commissions considers 30 tests safe within a lifetime.

7. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The hospital medical center where I worked had 2 MRI machines at 110 decimals. At times they would exceed 120 decimals. Many complaints with noise levels, almost daily. Each machine cost 3,500,200 dollars. The costs of upkeep, tech support operators, inspections, maintenance, quality assurance, supplies, insurance, radiologists, coders, medical records and billing was 2,700,000 a year. So hospitals wants those MRI machines working. Very seldom were they useful for those with tinnitus. I would find a private imaging center with 3D and 4D CTs.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks for the info. Dr is looking for an AN or some thing pressing on the nerve. He mentioned a scan when I first balked at MRI.
      I know MRI has its uses but I don't trust them implicitly either. Dr said its safe - I have a different definition of safe. I at least wanted to rule out the vestibular H before I have some sort of episode in that machine. My son whacked a bug the other day I reacted like I'd been hit with the swiffer. So not really comfortable with several minutes of loud banging ear plugs or not.
      Thanks again.

9. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would go with a 3D CT scan over a MRI for any problems relating the to jaw, mouth, neck or ears. These scans are best for nerve examination.. You will sit in a chair and the noise level is a hum @ 10 decimals.

• Useful Useful x 1
    10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Nobody can answer that question because nobody can predict the future: if the CAT scan was to reveal something useful, then it'd be radiation "well spent", but if the CAT scan doesn't reveal anything, then it'd be "wasted".
      My CT scan was useful in providing a critical clue to diagnose my disease (otosclerosis), but in many cases imaging tech is used to rule out specific problems (that occur in a minority of the cases, but are serious enough that you want to know early if you are affected).
      I also did an MRI that didn't show anything abnormal, but was meant to rule out an acoustic neuroma.

As you can see from the chart below, a CT scan of the head is roughly equivalent to 50 flights from LA to NewYork.

radiation.png

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Its being used as a rule out for AN too and to see if anything is happening to the nerve to cause it to not function properly. I wouldn't consider it wasted though regardless - just wasn't sure if the exposure is worth it for the pictures they get. I wouldn't want it done if they couldn't get a good view. I know MRI is best for AN but some people are prohibited from that anyway and this is the next best thing. I like the idea of silence, dislike radiation of course. I've heard of quiet MRIs but I think they might be like unicorns - no one has ever seen one. Thanks for the chart and sharing your experience.

12. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, the chart is accurate - CT scan for head is 2 to 3 times lower than to most other parts of the body. Federal guidelines suggest 30 CT scans because of the effects of intravenous contrast allergy or infections which are rare. Also because of specific cross-reactivity between iodinated radiographic contrast and iodine. Which is a lot of bull.

Our cat had hyperthyroidism and we had her given the i-131 radioactive treatment. She had to stay in a closed room at UCD vet, where she was seen and feed under strict guidelines after treatment for 7 days. We were told with written instructions on her discharge to only spend ten minutes a day with her for the next 14 days - radiation exposure. Her urine had to be flushed in the toilet and not placed in the trash. Many guidelines from the federal government. Her radiation levels were nothing more than spending a sun full day at the beach.

13. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Wow they can get that loud? I had an MRI my perception with ear plugs in didn't sound too loud. Nothing changed with my T but dang that's loud.

14. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      GE has new MRI machines that are quoted to be at normal voice levels in decimals, but I can't find out on the net if their talking 65 decimals or less/more.

I had a MRI done at this hospital because I ruptured my C5 in my back. With headphones I was fine, but I didn't have tinnitus or hyperacusis then either.

15. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Are you prohibited from doing an MRI? If I recall your previous posts, you were scheduled for one, so you are probably a good candidate for it, right?
      In terms of radiation, the MRI doesn't generate any ionizing radiation, unlike CT.

16. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    17. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Avoid old pre 2013 GE t1.5 machines, it was fairly loud despite wearing muff + plugs of highest NRR. It was only 30 mins scan for me yet it left me with two new tones and an increase in the high pitch ringing, it has been a month now and it not settled back to baseline and I can hardly sleep without medication and very much full of regret.

18. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Eric N
      I was thinking about you and many others who had the same experience.
      Because MRI machines are so expensive and the trade in value or sale value is so small, hospitals don't buy new machines when the technology changes. They do with portable x-ray machines, because the film doesn't have be developed in a dark room anymore. It's all digital and images are sent directly to the doctor by computer.

19. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine was in a private clinic and I paid 600$ for it, I had a brain MRI before this one in the hospital with a Siemens Avanto and suffered no issues. Anyhow I still can't understand what happened I was probably experiencing 85-90 dba with the hearing protection not sure why that would cause all these issues, that noise level should be ok for that amount of time. I also had no detectable change in hearing from 125-16k from previous tests so I can only it will settle with time.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Not prohibited but I've had 3 cancelled on me by 2 different places all at the last minute. One while I was signing in, the other the day before and the last one they called at 7am right before I left the house. Its been rescheduled for July now so the rollar coaster of stress is unpleasant. I get all worked up and make plans and I've been trying for months now.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    22. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eric: As I mentioned to you on your original thread, I said that it would probably settle down. We heard the same problem from those with T & H and the hospital kept in touch with them. Just about all were fine within several months. The banging is what we called it - does not have a continuous value over two seconds with the GE 1.5 models. I had calculated the Db with your protection back when you first posted about this and came up with 76 or 74?

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've read your posts and it is a fear with both T and H. Sometimes I wonder if drs take that into consideration or consider it acceptable collateral damage (for them not us). I'm in a rural area so another fear about how "new" the new machine is.

24. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @light rain

Same here on what caused it. The radiologists believe it could had first started when I had my ear syringing 7 years ago, but they think the nerves crossed during my dental implant procedure.

25. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      76 but surely it was more hearing protection does not work as well with low frequencies and MRIs generate most of their sound under 2k, I hope you are right I will update in a few more months.

26. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @light rain
      If you decide to get the MRI, called the place first and ask for make and model number and send it to me by conversation and I will tell you how loud the machine is.

27. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Just a couple more questions "The banging" is that when the loudest sound produced ?
      Is there a part of an MRI where the noise is worst? My head was mostly out of the tube as it was a hand MRI

28. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Informative Informative x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks Greg. I just got back from the ENT and will just put the MRI on hold. My appt is in July so I'll think about it and try to find out about the machine in case.

I'm depressed right now it was such a letdown. The Dr is nice but I guess I must keep hoping on some level that they can make this go away. B12 shots now rather than pills, lipoflavanoid(?), and he suggested a steroid injection in the ear. Also a referral to a clinic for the H. So its not like he isn't doing anything but like he said the guy who finds a cure for this will be extremely popular. The nerve stuff is maintenance therapy until I have some sort of scan. Last time he mentioned cscan as an option not this time.

So I do thank you for all your help. (And the audiogram hurt my ear and made me feel dizzy again). Maybe the clinic for the H will do something but I'm sure it will take forever to get in and I don't think this other stuff will help.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks GregCA and ErikN for your input too along with GregSacremento. I do appreciate it.