Need Help for 2. Habituation

Discussion in 'Support' started by Megatron, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Megatron

Megatron Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, Stress
      Hi all,

Have had T for 10 years and 1 month ago it went crazy due to stress, having a cold etc...
      I am really back to square one I seems - panic, anxiety ans no sleep without pills.
      I seems louder than last - maybe just higher pitch.
      Will it go back or do I need to habituate again???
      Please advice.
      Troels

2. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Relax. Do not panic. Annoying when people say that to you isn't it? Sorry. But worrying, panicking and stressing will only escalate the problem. Remember although this is the most annoying problem, it's not life threatening or dangerous. You will see that this increase in T happens to a lot of people so it's not unusual. I myself have these "spikes" and they don't last. I do not know why but I think it's because I pay them hardly any mind. I do get a little worried but just the kind of: "Oh, my T has got louder. I wonder what's caused this and if it will go away?" Type of thoughts for a minute or two. I do not allow myself to keep thinking on it. That said I have two young children and not much time so there's plenty of distractions for me. Remember when you first had T ten yrs back? You probably were like this. And then you settled down and it didn't bother you so much. So it's perfectly plausible that you will do the same. Don't try to force it. Don't get impatient because you aren't doing it fast enough. Give yourself time to rest and relax from the stresses that caused the spike and don't replace those with the new stress of T worry. I'm sure others here will be able to give examples of their T spikes and how they managed them effectively.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      What breed is your dog in your pic? Very cute.

4. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      She is an Australian cobber dog. Google them. They are super easy to train. Specially bred as service and therapy dogs. Great for allergies. Super neat dogs. No good for guarding or protection though. She's much bigger now. About knee height at shoulder.
      Yours is French bulldog? Seen them at dog parks. Real cute and friendly too.
      http://www.australian-cobberdog-club.com

5. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I believe that it's just a prolonged spike that will eventually pass. Your acute anxiety in addition to the stress that originally triggered it is making it worse. Was the stress caused by a temporary situation? If so, that's good. Once your stress and anxiety levels are reduced, more than likely your T level will ramp back down.

I experienced the same thing for a few months last year due to two simultaneous very stressful situations. I got a taste of what many describe as debilitating or catastrophic T. In addition, I experienced H for the first time. What a joy that shit is! Anyway, I feared that it would become my new and permanent base because it lasted so long. Well, it turned out to be only a prolonged spike that lasted about five months. Once my stressful situations were resolved my anxiety subsided and T level went back to it's previous base.

Hang in there. I think you'll be OK....(y)

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Megatron

Megatron Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, Stress
      Hi JimH,
      Thanks a lot for your kind words - it helps in a very stressfull time.
      I had/have a lot of stress since january because I moved my family to another part of the country and changed job. So It has been very stressfull 5 month.

I really hope it will settle down. One of my main concerns is that it has changed pitch (and still does during the day and week) and that is not my "familliar" sounds that I know... More hard to mask.

Did you sound change during your last spike?

Best Troels

7. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Well, that combination makes for some big-time stress and anxiety for a person that has the responsibilities of a husband and father! The good news is that it's probably just temporary if things work out ok. The bad news is that it will probably continue for a while longer. You can really help yourself right now by reminding yourself (often) that it's most likely just temporary. That in itself should reduce your anxiety somewhat.

Not as far as tone. Only a significant increase in volume with the addition of H for the first time. Don't add to your anxiety by focusing on that fact too much. If there's one thing I've learned since 1978, it's that Tinnitus can be very unpredictable. In my case, I'm referring to the volume and also which side is louder at a given time.