Q&A: Tinnitus Hub Meets Neuromod (Lenire)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tinnitus Talk, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Who said it is only effective for 2/3rds? Must have missed that bit.

2. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Thanks so much for doing this Q&A. A very professional job.

Some promising testimonials from Irish trial patients here...

Would love to have a try and try and tone it down.

https://vimeo.com/neuromoddevices

• Like Like x 4
    3. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Will watch this later today. But I read the comments to know what to expect. I'm so delighted to see that first impressions are good and this thing appears to be legit. We might be on the cusp of a historic moment here, akin to the release of the first antibiotic or the first antidepressant.

• Like Like x 6
    4. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Thanks for the work. Is the price of the device unknown? I assume they do not intend to sell it in Latin America.

I'm fried if they sell it at 3,000 USD. The ticket for the concert that damaged me cost about 25/30 USD.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      All I will say is watch the throat clearing and squirming in his chair when @Steve asked about percentage improvements in patients. We are still a long way from silence I fear.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      Great work! Will definitely go to Ireland and get one when it becomes available.

One thing I thought was a bit weird though was the treatment session duration. He kept saying 30 to 60 minutes. Well, 60 min is 100% more than 30, that’s a lot. That’s double the amount of hours over the 12 week period if you go with 60 rather than 30.

That seems like an odd, arbitrary factor in a trial like this, doesn’t it?

How does one know what is ideal for oneself?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Thanks TC, from the way he explained it sounded like it may be rented. I’ll wait for more info, am just overly curious about this and trying to keep a level head haha.

8. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Clearly a lot of hard work has gone into producing this Q & A - well done!

Now all that needs to happen is a new thread be set up when the device launches so that those members of Tinnitus Talk who have purchased the device can give feedback on how helpful (or not) they have found it.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      As I recall it was effective for most tinnitus + hyperacusis patients and 2/3 of the only tinnitus patients. My memory could serve me wrong here.

10. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I'm just confused about the part where it helps so much those who have tinnitus + hyperacusis.

How can a patient with tinnitus + hyperacusis have even better results on their tinnitus than someone who has only tinnitus, yet, it can't help the hyperacusis itself?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I thought his body language was consistent all the way through tbh.

• Agree Agree x 7
    12. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I'm assuming as they worked together with Berthold Langguth and had trials in Regensburg that Germany will be one of the first countries to offer this device after Ireland (but I'm only speculating here).
      He said the device helped over 80% and showed a clinically significant improvement in two thirds of patients.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 6
      • Informative Informative x 2
    13. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      80% got a reduction.
      67% got a clinically significant reduction.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. zoid
      Curious

zoid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It's been a while since I last logged in on Tinnitus Talk. When I got my tinnitus 4 years ago I thought my life ended but I'm glad I can say that I can manage my tinnitus and hyperacusis and live a happy live again despite the tinnitus some days screaming on top of all the sounds.

However, I'm very very exited about this development and I really hope it benefits a lot of people. Also hope it becomes available in the Netherlands soon, a little bit more silence is welcome.

Thanks to @Markku and @Steve and all the best to all the people on this forum!

• Like Like x 3
    15. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Let's also not forget that this happened when people used it only for the 12 weeks of the trial. The device exercises its effect through neuroplasticity - "teaching" the brain. So there's an excellent chance that if the "teaching period" is longer, the changes are even larger. Maybe a share of the 20% who didn't respond in 12 weeks will respond to longer periods. Maybe a share of the 13% who got a reduction but not a significant one will get a significant reduction with a longer period. This is something that literally only time will tell - but the initial signs are very promising.

Longer usage periods will also help provide the researchers with more data on who is not responding, and why. Once we have thousands of people using this for months, patterns should become much clearer. I can even imagine software updates, additional settings etc being released by Neuromod as they learn from usage data.

The fact that this is a device and not a chemical works greatly in our favor - it can be brought to market quicker, it can be updated, and there's much less risk of tolerance/dependence.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    16. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Looks like I am headed to Ireland next year for a vacation.

Really appreciate the folks that put this together for us.

• Like Like x 3
    17. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Yes, they said they are aiming for January.

Yes, the customs thing would be an issue. It is a medical device and as it doesn't yet have FDA approval then you technically couldn't bring it in (technically :)). I imagine a convertor would work fine for charging it.

It's in the video. Also your other comment, that was the first thing we discussed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      What's really good about Tinnitus Talk is that it provides tinnitus sufferers with a forum where they can openly exchange experiences - good and bad - without the marketing cr**. So if this device is as good as they say - and given the high level of interest in it - within around six months or so of launching there'll be plenty of members posting on here about how great it is. And if it isn't, well the opposite really...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      No pricing yet but come the Ireland launch you probably work from there on an anticipated price.

That's a finding that surprised the researchers. We need to understand what it was, what the mechanism behind it could have been. That understanding could potentially open up some new knowledge on the processes underlying tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Absolutely agree. Neuromod can only say what their clinical trials have shown them, the data is from a specific dosing regime over a specific time period with a specific follow up period. There could be scope outside of this to increase efficacy and experiment further.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 2
    20. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      Hi Manny,

Indeed there were 3 arms and there were improvements in all 3. However, compared to the other groups, the group that used high frequency synchronized stimulation had better sustained effects after they stopped using the device.

This was an exploratory study, so really the purpose was to choose the best frequency and timing of the stimuli to program into the device and carry that forward in additional studies.

Coming up with a true placebo for a device study can be extremely difficult. Ideally, all the subjects entering a study should have the same level of expectation for efficacy of the treatment they receive. If there were to be a group that simply put the headphones on and put the tongue tip in but never heard any sound or felt no pulses on their tongue it's doubtful they would have any expectation for efficacy at all and so they would be unblinded.

Also, in situations like tinnitus where the condition and treatment is unique to an individual, analyzing change from baseline as the statistic can be appropriate. In that situation the patient is serving as his or her own control. Better still in this type of situation is having a objective measure, which tinnitus doesn't have.

IMHO, addressing the topic of negative control and proper statistical analysis is something Neuromod probably struggled with while setting up their clinical program. This is one of the reasons peer review is important. No doubt Neuromod bashed things out among themselves including with some well known tinnitus researchers and key opinion leaders and made some decisions. Next they may have to go back and forth during peer review to defend and educate about their choices. Further complicating matters is the fact that clinical research for tinnitus treatments is pretty much in its infancy, so Neuromod are doing some real trail blazing here.

So in addition to proving their device, one has to appreciate the value of the Neuromod clinical program and looking at the subtypes that respond and those that don't respond to treatment. If you watched David Stockdale and Steve talk about the year in research you would have heard David talk about how studies of psychological treatments inform the study of tinnitus subtypes. The same thing is going on here.

TC

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. jmasterj
      No Mood

jmasterj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic?
      I just wonder if after visiting Ireland and consulting with an audiologist there they could just ship it to the US or another country for use. You could avoid customs that way I would think.

22. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      They want to have the patients under the care of a physician or audiologist during all parts of the trial.

23. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Enjoyed the Q & A video @Markku and @Steve. Well done!
      Time will tell. I pray it will work for all of us.

• Like Like x 1
    24. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Wonder when the release date is going to be announced... Guess not until after Xmas.

25. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Here is my optimistic take from this video.

I believe this product will help a lot of people. It will definitely get better with time. The first release of the "MuteButton" was clearly not ready for prime time. This new device is essentially a first generation product. Neuromod has heaps of data they haven't even finished going through yet.

As they go through this data and other scientists get involved with their own similar devices these products will get more effective.

I envision a time where they can really dial these things into specific patients tinnitus profiles and achieve better treatment.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    26. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Does that mean my family doctor has to send them a request? Under the care is very vague term, what are they expecting the physician or audiologist to do. is it just for reporting the side effects?

Bottom line I need to try this ASAP. I'm not doing well at all. I don't think I can wait another year or so. I wonder if living in Canada will complicate matters more or not.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      The next question I would have for them is, after the first treatment what is the next step? Does the treatment repeat after a year? Would it have a compounding effect over time?

28. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      28 mins in. He looked very uncomfortable. Throat clearing. Shuffling in chair. Lots of umming and repeating himself. I cannot be the only one who sees this? Watch it yourself........It’s a clear lack of confidence in the results and if you don’t believe me ask a body language expert.

29. hitachi

hitachi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm feeling skeptical when @Steve asked Ross if he has any brain imaging data to measure the improvement (Question 28). His answer didn't convince me at all.

30. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I cannot watch the video without subtitles because of my hyperacusis. I apologize.

Does this work on hyperacusis?
      Does it work on reactive tinnitus?
      Can a Trigeminal Neuralgia patient use this device?