Neuromodulation DIY Dangers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by raimundo2015, Dec 21, 2015.

1. raimundo2015
      Brooding

raimundo2015 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000
      Hi.

I have had low level tinnitus for years in my left ear and managed to live with it.

Last week I started messing with some of the supposed healing DIY sounds on YouTube etc. and am now regretting it big time.

It has gone much worse-volume increased by double and affecting every waking minute as well as night-time sleeping problems.

These things need to come with major warnings... can worsen as well as improve your tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Dave111
      Transparent

Dave111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Makeing music in band and headphone on to long.
      I tried the same with constant tone same results. from 1/10 to 4/10 in a few minutes.

3. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Sorry to hear about those bad results @raimundo2015 & @Dave111. So long as you didn't use too high a volume when you played the sounds I am very confident that your tinnitus will return to its usual level. It may take a few days - possibly even a few weeks if you are unlucky. But try not to lose heart. I've done a fair bit of experimenting with neuromodulation and also had spikes as a result, but they never lasted. Obviously this is no guarantee, but try not to worry. :)

4. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      Is there any reason why neuromodulation diy can do damage ?
      Can you get this kjnd of damage from stuff like crickets chirping sound tracks? Or there is something about neuromodulation that makes it unique and dangerous.

5. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      My own understanding is that it involves neuroplastic changes to the tonotopic map. You could try some googling if that doesn't make much sense, 'cos I'm no expert unfortunately.

If the exercise is successful then these changes will be to your benefit and the t will seem quieter. If you get it wrong (as I always seem to do) then your t will seem louder. But for good or bad, I believe these changes reverse over time - for the same reason that they happen in the first place... brain plasticity. If the changes are good then you keep doing it to preserve and consolidate the benefit (you may be able to reduce the time you spend on it though). If the changes are bad then you stop and give it time to reverse itself.

I'll tag @Steve. 'cos he is knowledgeable about neuromodulation and may be able to give more info or correct me if I am wrong. I'm pretty sure you don't need to worry though, beyond the fact that it is frustrating and unpleasant for a bit until things calm down.

6. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I tend to agree - if one can cope with T, 'better not to fix it, if it ain't broken' as the saying goes and risk it...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      raimundo2015
      Brooding

raimundo2015 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000
      Thanks for your optimism . I have been getting some temp. relief from www.generalfuzz
      ACRN Tinnitus Protocol set at around 5000hz . This always gives a residual period of quiet , if only for a minute or so.
      :)

• Like Like x 1
    8. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I always find it's a mixed bag with audio therapies, you never can say that something just works for people. We can all be reactive to certain types of sounds or have something irritate us in some way that doesn't do it for the majority. I do agree though that it will settle down just as a spike from any brief irritating noise will.

Hi @raimundo2015 sorry to hear you got a spike from trying this technique. When I do any of these sound files I say that you should feel your tinnitus go lower and flatter after listening for a short period, otherwise maybe it isn't going to do anything for you. It's difficult with things you find on YouTube as they could be made for a specific frequency which won't do you any good but could irritate your ears depending on what the sound is.

Probably the best advice I could give right now is to understand that it will settle back down again and in the mean time distract yourself from it. Use some relaxing music and sounds that are pleasing to your ears and try to fade it away into the background.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      raimundo2015
      Brooding

raimundo2015 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000
      Thanks for your support. The trend has been a gradual quietening with a few spikes. Christmas proved a good distraction ! So thankfully , you were right about the likely improvement. I will certainy be very cautious from now on.
      Just to add , I have on occasions experienced the temporary disappearance of my T after really loud rock gigs as reported by others on this site. Strange but true.

10. Jorge Lopez

Jorge Lopez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1980
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Raimund,

Changes in your tinnitus are to be expected in the beginning! I am undergoing hypersensitivity treatment. Long story but I began to sleep with earplugs and my brain latched on to the closest sound it could find - the tinnitus. It happened slowly (over a decade) so when I finally went to an ENT it took many tests to determine that I had both tinnitus and hypersensitivity. Trust me - hypersensitivity is worse than tinnitus.

The first step was to treat the hypersensitivity. After about 2 months I noticed times I would not be clenching my jaw so bad. I slept better but the ringing was not only becoming louder; it was changing.

My doctor said that was normal. By month 4 my tinnitus kind of took the forefront. My hearing was now able to handle normal sounds and I wasn't in pain when I walked into a StarBucks. The tinnitus was now becoming the harder part to cope with for the first time since I was a kid.

We are 8 months into therapy and I am going back soon to begin easing off the hypersensitivity treatment and begin the tinnitus treatment. Unfortunately, it's only masking treatment. Not relief treatment.

As long as the decibels are not too loud you will discover changes. It's normal. Keep noise going at all times. Rain, white noise, fans, etc. When doing therapy, limit the volume and try not to think about it. I always stay within 20db-50db and only go 50db when I am outside.

Do whatever you can not to focus on the tinnitus hz. As hard as it is, ignore it. Once you find an ACRN, set it and go. No playing with hz or frequencies. Jot the frequencies down so you don't spend time trying to program the app. The more you can just set it and go, the better you will be. Trying to match your tinnitus with settings actually causes your brain to tune in more. That will be counterproductive. Set and go. Remember that.

You're in this for the long haul. There is no quick fix but you have hope and hope is powerful.

j