New Bose SleepBuds: Do They Work with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dan-in-MD, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Dan-in-MD

Dan-in-MD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    2. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I for one will welcome my new Bose overlords!

• Funny Funny x 4
    3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Hi all. I decided to log in after a loooong break to see if these have been already discussed. Seems they have.

4. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am buying a set of Bose SleepBuds today with an in-store demo and 30 day money back guarantee.
      Wish me luck.

@Michael Leigh My tinnitus is stress induced and so far I have used other earbuds with great success.

These are supposed to be sleep worthy so I am going to try them.

5. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did purchase Bose SleepBuds and after using them I returned them as they aggravated my tinnitus.

• Useful Useful x 1
    6. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bummer! Did you have them play all night or just long enough to fall asleep?

7. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

8. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not surprised. They only play sounds which are random and not music or speech, right? And we are learning that random white noise is pretty toxic to the brain actually.

• Useful Useful x 1
    9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That was quite a revelation actually, as it puts many sound therapies back in perspective (including TRT). Perhaps the sheer amount of energy of white (or generally broadband) noise is the issue: it does feel like my ears get a bit sore after listening to such sounds. That's one of the reasons I never really used these types of masking sounds.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Interesting. White noise bothers me, too. It’s difficult to explain, but my ears feel tired after listening to it.

11. Ryzen

Ryzen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bose Sleepbuds
      I find it ironic how these are being recommended to tinnitus sufferers. Bose's SleepBuds are what GAVE ME tinnitus. I was perfectly fine and healthy before I decided to try these one night (morning, actually, since I had pulled an all-nighter). I woke up about six hours later with a tone in my head and my hearing has never been the same.

Maybe it was just an incredible coincidence, but I can't help but think the SleepBuds are to blame, being what they are. I did not even have the volume all the way up, only to the notch in the app's volume bar.

I did see a movie at the theater two days prior that seemed uncomfortably loud during some of the ending scenes, but I had no ringing nor experienced any changes in my hearing before using the SleepBuds.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. MartinH
      Angry

MartinH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows?
      I'll throw my 2 cents in on these. I saw them initially in a vending machine in London Heathrow mid 11/2018 and, being fairly new to tinnitus I was at the point, I did some research on them. I didn't buy them there because they were well over $300USD, but just this weekend I noticed them at a store near me for $250USD.

Still fairly expensive, but I decided to give them a shot. Quite glad I did. My biggest problem with tinnitus is not getting enough sleep. Being a bit over a year into this buzzing into my head, it's improved a lot, I'd say 60% overall, but still I can't sleep more than 2-4 hours per night. I can bump it up to 6 or 7 with 5mg of Valium. After three nights of using the Sleepbuds I've got 7-8 hours sleep with no meds. They're very comfortable, much more so than regular earbuds IMHO. They only fell out once, but I don't have any soreness in my ears at all from having them in. There are only a couple sounds I like but there are some options to download a few more. Two is enough for me though so I haven't done any additions yet.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally loud Music and was worsened by Micro-suction
      Pretty sure Bose SleepBuds are the reason my ears are so messed up at the moment, so I would encourage people to be very cautious.

14. Capsman

Capsman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long term noise or stress
      I wanted to say that the Bose SleepBuds pretty much saved my life. I got tinnitus approximately two month ago in my left ear. It’s very reactive to sounds. Loud sounds don’t bother me. It’s of moderate level and I had an incredible problem sleeping before trying them. The volume is at a very low level. Nothing else including any sound machines has worked. I had numerous days of not sleeping before trying the SleepBuds.

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. Joanne Philps
      Alienated

Joanne Philps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flight
      Has anybody tried the new second edition Bose SleepBuds, please?

Bose said they withdrew the original ones because of the batteries. The new edition's batteries they say hold a 10 hour charge, the original ones were longer.

They are expensive but I’m happy to pay if they work?

I have extremely loud bilateral tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus in right ear.

16. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I strongly advise you not to use the Bose SleepBuds, headphones, earbuds or headset even at low volume. Although it's not mentioned on your profile what caused your tinnitus, the most common cause is exposure to loud noise. Even if your tinnitus wasn't noise induced. The fact that you already have loud tinnitus, you risk making it worse using any type of headphone. Should it get worse using these devices, it's unlikely your tinnitus will reduce to its previous level.

Michael

17. Joanne Philps
      Alienated

Joanne Philps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flight
      Thank you Michael, I understand what you are saying. I do not use headphones, in ear or over, but am unable to sleep, I have a white noise machine but it doesn’t cut it. For my cause of tinnitus I entered "Flight", because I was fine before the flight, got on the plane as fit as a flea, got off wobbly and then the tinnitus started.

I haven’t been lucky with ENT, they just diagnosed whatever was next on their list, Labyrinthitis, then Mènière's, then vestibular migraine, then MdDS, then PPPD! The latter is one size fits all.

All I was offered was antidepressants and maskers. I refused the antidepressants but the maskers are a lifesaver for me, but you aren’t supposed to sleep in them.

I’m 4 years in and lack of sleep is killing me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Joanne Philps

I do understand and sympathize with what you're going through Joanne. Treatment for tinnitus fits three categories and sometimes a a combination of them are used: Medication, sound therapy and counselling. If you find white noise generators/maskers helpful for sleeping then wear them.

Best of luck and hope you start to feel better soon.
      Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 1