New Here, 10 Days w/ Noise-Induced Tinnitus. What I'm Doing... What Else Can I Do?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Zinnia, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Hello all,

Ten days ago someone in a bar whistled very loudly in my right ear about 4-5 times 12 feet away. The tinnitus started immediately and hasn't let up since. I've been reading a lot and I can see that the chances are it may be sticking around. I'm so distressed and anxious, sleeping little but trying to educate myself and start habituating now by having background noise that doesn't totally mask the tinnitus. (But to sleep I need to drown out the ringing.)

I saw an ENT 4 days after the event and he prescribed prednisone 50 mgs per day, but it had made me very anxious so I cut it down to 30mgs. I'm really not sure what the consensus is for efficacy of pred for noise trauma? Do you think there is a chance it will/could lessen the tinnitus?

I'm also taking a lot of supplements: NAC, magnesium, zinc, vit c, vit e, vit a, Gaba, l-theanine, b vitamins, and others. Just doing anything that I think may help...

I have a another Dr's appoint tomorrow w/ a different doctor. Is there any specific treatment I should ask from her?

Any advice or recommendations would be so appreciated. I'm scared. So scared for what is going to happen to me and feel like I'm in a nightmare. Should I be doing anything else at this point? HBO therapy since the onset was recent??
      Do you think the tinnitus even has a chance of letting up (actual healing, not from habituating though) after 10 days?

Since lurking here the past week, I've seen how friendly and supportive people are here. It makes me feel better to know I can communicate with people who understand the reality of this and share experiences. :)

Sorry this is so long w/ so many questions. Thanks for any help you can throw my way.
      I wish you all well.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Zinnia
      It is far too early for you to be seeing ENT doctors in my opinion if you just have noise induced tinnitus. Although prednisone can help some people in the early stages. The best treatment for noise induced tinnitus is to leave everything alone. The only person I'd recommend you see is your GP if you're feeling stressed due to the tinnitus which is quite common. Below please click on links and read my articles: Tinnitus, A Personal View and Hyperacusis, as I see it.

I advise you not to use any form of headphones even at low volume. If you have a printer I suggest you print Tinnitus, A Personal View as it's quite long and you'll absorb the information better (I believe) if you print it. Try not to skim through it. Take your time and read it in full.

Best of luck
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Michael,

Thank you for your response and the links to your writings. I will take the time to read through them. You have so much knowledge and your optimism is inspiring. Thank you for sharing such a wealth of information.

I think I'll keep on with the prednisone if there is a chance it can help (and I'll try to increase the dosage again.)

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      prednisone will help
      stick to the recomened dosage 30mg is too low

are you diabetic or with blood pressure, infections issues currently ?

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Zinnia
      Thank you for your kind comments. I have never taken prednisone but have heard that it can help with the onset of tinnitus caused by noise trauma. However, I advise you to be cautious as this medication is a steroid and can raise blood sugar levels, meaning there could be a risk of becoming diabetic if taken long term. I advise that you get your blood sugar levels checked.

Give your auditory system time to settle down and try not to worry too much.
      All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Bobby, for some reason I missed your response before...
      Anyway, did you have luck with prednisone? From what I've read it seems iffy as to whether it will help but you sound confident about it. I don't have any medical issues you mentioned but I did end up stopping it after about 8 days. It was causing tremors and anxiety.

What do you think is the appropriate dose and for what duration?