New Here but Not New to the Big "T"

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gemstonian, Dec 29, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Gemstonian
      Stressed

Gemstonian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency hearing loss??
      New member here but suffering from T for about 3 years. It's an ON and OFF thing for me. I can have good days followed by bad days. My T is more of a hissing noise, usually one side of my head, sometimes the right and sometimes the left. I also notice that it quite often gets turned on or off after a sleep or a nap. Anyone else notice that?

2. Robin mounter

Robin mounter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 6th 2015
      I'm 11 and have tinntius, to get it old is better to have it young. I'm new to tinnitus aswell, my mum told me to make an account for tinnitus support :)

3. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      What you have is called cycling tinnitus, and it's very common.

I absolutely cannot take a nap, the noise is off the chart when I wake up. I learned that the hard way. Even if I nod off for only two or three seconds, the tinnitus becomes very shrill and jumps in volume to about a 9 out of 10. After an hour it settles down to a 7 out of 10, and stays there until I go to sleep.

Other people experience what you do, that the tinnitus resets itself the opposite of where it was before you took the nap. Tinnitus jumps all over people's heads, too. Mine is usually in the right upper quadrant, but sometimes moves to the lower back of my head (which I prefer). The worst is when it's centrally located and runs from temple to temple. Drives me batty, because that's also when it's the loudest.

Anyhoo, welcome to the forum :)

4. Gemstonian
      Stressed

Gemstonian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency hearing loss??
      Your reply is very helpful to me... Being afraid to take a nap because it triggers the tinnitus is not much fun... I also notice that the acoustics of certain rooms make it better or worse... I have also found that my TV audio is bad for my tinnitus... Maybe that's caused by my bad high frequency hearing loss?... I have found that a lower TV volume with the sub-titles turned on is better than a louder volume...

5. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      I am lucky in the sense that just moments before I go to sleep the T fades. When I wake up in the middle of the night or in the morning, for an instance there is no T.
      Then after a few seconds the T fades in again to accompany me until I go to sleep again in the evening. Really weird sensation.

6. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I am the same. When i am sub conscious, my T will start to fade. When i awake, the T is always very low. After i am fully awake, the screaming begins.