New Here. Nice to Meet You. I Have Some Questions (myNoise.net Especially)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dana Lynn, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Dana Lynn

Dana Lynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early in 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (but most likely years of loud music at the gym)
      Hi Everyone,

It's nice to meet you.

I've had tinnitus since early 2016. It has been pretty benign, starting out as white noise in my right ear and even now, most of the time I don't really notice it.

I went to a concert a couple of months ago in a small venue and was seated literally right next to the speaker - close enough to where you can "feel" the music course through your body. (I'll never do that again.) Since then, I have been super-paranoid about loud noises. I turn my radio in my car down, my TV down, my headphones down, and I've been wearing earplugs at the gym.

I haven't spoken to anyone with tinnitus and have some questions for anyone who can/will answer:

*Is it normal to have sounds change - to have things get better, then worse, then better? It's been changing as of late, or maybe its because of my paranoia after that darn concert. Not just the sounds that I hear, but the severity of them.

*I saw MyNoise chatted about a bit here. I've downloaded the app and have played with the modulator a bit. What am I looking for when modulating? The best way to drown out the noise? Today I have a high-pitch noise mixed in, and I can't really find anything to completely drown it out.

*With the MyNoise app, is there a protocol on how to use it? A little bit every day?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

2. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Welcome to the forum!

There is no need to be "super paranoid" about noise if you have T. It is very important to protect your hearing against loud noise but don't overprotect, this might make your ears more sensitive. You could download a decibel app which should give you some comfort over the level of noise you are exposed to. I'd recommend to protect your hearing for constant noise above 85 db's.

* Yes, some of the people here including me experience "fluctuating Tinnitus" in which the volume, pitch etc tends to change during the day or over night. There is nothing abnormal about this. Just enjoy when you experience a moment of low T.

* That really depends on the tones you are hearing. For me, the sound of a shower tends to mask my T. Also the crickets are doing a decent job.

* It is recommend to set the volume slightly below your T. If you completely mask your T, the brain will not be able to habituate to your T sound and you will also perceive it as louder once you stop masking.