New Here & to Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MissSam, Dec 30, 2017.

1. MissSam

MissSam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello All,
      I’ve had Tinnitus in my right ear, 25/7, for a month & noticed it after landing from a recent business trip. Prior to this, a month earlier, I experienced a week of unexplainable vertigo that arrived a day after recovering from a 24hr complete loss of hearing in my left ear. Ironically, the vertigo coincided with my menstrual cycle. When the Tinnitus occurred, it was preceded by a very brief and mild bit of imbalance which I wasn’t even certain of having just landed.

Here I am, a month later, with a high-pitched signal ringing continuously in my right ear & awaiting my appointment with an ENT. I was told this could also be Manieres. So, I’m left confused. I haven’t been to any loud concert or club, nor do I even listen to loud music or wear earbuds with loud tunes. Though, I may have, though inconsistently, in the past.

Is anyone’s experience similar? I’m baffled. It’s manageable; there are certainly far worse issues in life, including bills! But, I’m left truly perplexed.

Wishing you all well in health.
      MissSam

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Welcome to the forum :)

Tinnitus can come for many reasons. The thing to remember is to try to remain calm and not over-stress yourself out. For many, when they get tinnitus at first, they will constantly think about it and try to listen for it. By doing this they simply amplify the situation and possibly make their tinnitus louder. Remain calm and do know that you are not alone, all of us on this site deal with tinnitus.

Distraction is very important, when it comes to dealing and coping with tinnitus. Do something that you love that is safe and not loud and distract yourself from the ringing.

Take care

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @MissSam

Welcome to the forum.

Many things can cause tinnitus and the most common is exposure to loud noise. You have said that you don't listen to loud music or wear headphones, so for now I'll put loud noise to one side. It is best to try and remain calm as Fishbone says and wait for your appointment at ENT. Your symptoms could be related to Meniere's, which isn't caused by loud noise, but it is a disorder in the inner ear. It can cause episodes of vertigo and make one feel as though they are "spinning". Some hearing loss is often associated with the condition and various treatments are available.

Your symptoms could be associated with a number of medical conditions that affect the ear. Then again they can go way all by themselves with time since the ear is a very delicate organ. The best treatment in the early stages of tinnitus, is to leave it alone and wait for your appointment at ENT. Please click on the link below and read my post that you might find helpful.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MissSam

MissSam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @fishbone @Michael Leigh @Bill Bauer , thank you all, very much, for your kind welcome and additional inputs which I've reviewed already. They're all very informative and invaluable; obviously, with your experience and research of years and effort, I have tremendous resources to help manage the expectations. C'est la vie, Friends; might as well learn to manage it because, in many cases, there really are worse experiences in life. To your health :)

• Like Like x 1