New Member. Scared!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lovethesea, May 2, 2018.

1. Lovethesea

Lovethesea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm going a little out of my mind tonight. This ringing started after I had two top molars pulled on the left side February 2018. I wrote on the chart that I'd had TMJ problems in the past and told him verbally. The extraction was brutal. Was on pain pills but they made me sick so took BC powders instead. The ringing started in the left ear and after a couple weeks, developed ringing in right ear. Went to GP and she said I had a little wax build up in the left. They cleaned it out and for approx 15 minutes - complete silence in that ear. Ahhhhh!! But it returned and I had sort of adjusted to it.

GP suggested I see an ENT. Made an appointment and saw him a week later. Nothing abnormal upon examination. Hearing test was good. All he told me was to continue with Lipo Flavonoid that I had already begun taking and come back in 3 months.

I had been wanting to see the movie "A Quiet Place" (ironic, i know) didn't even think about how loud the theatre would be, it's been like 7 years since I've been in one. Anyway, I sat through some previews and started feeling a little uncomfortable with the sound, so I balled up tissue and stuffed in my ears until the noise level felt completely comfortable.

Never Ever imagined what was to come. Afterwards, the ringing got a bit louder and has steadily built up to a fever pitch the last couple nights. I'm frantic wondering what damage I've caused going to see a movie. It didn't even occur to me at the time it could cause a problem. I feel so stupid now. Will this last forever? I'm in tears.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. The movie noises probably caused some sort of acoustic trauma on your ears which were a bit unstable at the time. That is why we advise people with new T from acoustic trauma to stay away from loud venues or at least wear adequate ear protections. You may have to be patient to wait out this spike. Keep positive that your spike will settle down as this will help to keep the limbic nervous system away and you don't have to function in fight or flight mode (which can make T seeming worse that it is). If the ringing is truly bothersome and distressing to you, then you may consider masking them or at least do sound enrichment around you so you don't need to focus on your T. Take care. God bless.

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I am so sorry about your traumatic dental experience. Ive had my fair share of those too.

I wonder if you still have wax in your ear, and youve pushed it further in with the tissue at the theatre?

Can you get your GP to have another look at your ear?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lovethesea

Lovethesea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Deb. Left ear was cleaned a week before going to the theatre. I had just left the ENT - day of the movie. He didn't say if there was any wax upon examination but I may go back to the GP for good measure.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lovethesea

Lovethesea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Will certainly be more careful/mindful of loud noises. Brother was cutting grass a couple days ago and I wouldn't go out without ear muffs on. Been masking at bedtime with a fan on the nightstand and tried a homedics sound machine in conjunction last night, plus a small window ac unit (have always used it for white noise). Hopefully this high pitch will go away soon. Thank you for replying.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
    7. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know how much i can help you but i do know the fear very well.
      Its like no other fear you've ever had because you feel helpless to stop the noise.
      Try to remain as calm as possible and also change your focus . Even do dishes.
      The running water helps calm you down.
      Take a shower. Again the water calms you.
      Try to tell yourself it will pass.
      For sleep you can try melatonin. Its a natural sedative not drug.
      I empathize with you but yoù have the courage to face it or you would not have reached out.
      Wishing you peace.