Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kevin85, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Kevin85

Kevin85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced (Gun shots)
      Hello all,

I just found this forum and thought I would introduce myself and hopefully get some feedback. My name is Kevin, and I'm 32 years old. I unfortunately have been experiencing some Tinnitus in my right ear for about the last week and a half. I was being stupid and shooting pistols with a couple of friends and was not wearing hearing protection. As soon as I heard the gun go off I instantly heard ringing in my ears and I continued shooting the gun a total of 10 times (I know big mistake!). For the next couple of days I seemed to have trouble hearing in both ears, although my right ear was worse. As of now it appears that the hearing in my Left ear seems to be fine, no ringing or hearing issues that I can detect. The pistol was extended out from my body, to the sound should have been equal on both sides.

My right ear is more prone to earwax buildup and I periodically have to have it removed. After the first couple days I ran water through my ear in the shower (I guess in hopes it would stop the ringing) and it seems that since then I have a tingling sensation and slight pressure in my right ear, in addition to the ringing still occuring. I went to my PCP provider this morning and she did clean out the wax buildup in both ears with a curette. She then re-checked my ears and said everything looked normal to her. However I am panicking again because I am still hearing the ringing and still have the tingling sensation inside my right ear. Is it possible that there is fluid (water) trapped inside my ear (from when I attempted flushing water in it) where it can't drain? I'm also wondering if my inner ear might still be swollen from the sound blast and that the pressure is increased, causing the ringing?

I've also noticed that when I talk, certain sounds seem more raspy, like I'm talking from a broken speaker, not sure if this could be a side effect of fluid/pressure I described above...

It seems like the ringing has decreased (or at least my perception of it), however my voice still sounds muffled when I talk. Just trying to remain optimistic about the whole thing, hoping that it will go away. I'm considering making an appointment with an ENT if this still doesn't improve in a couple of days. Any feedback is appreciated!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Kevin85

Many things can cause tinnitus although exposure to loud noise is the most common. Typically, it is headphone use and going to places where loud music is played that causes it. Or something equally as loud as gun shots that you've mentioned. In the early stages of tinnitus which you are in, the best treatment for it is to do nothing. If you just have straight forward tinnitus without additional problems: ear pain, dizziness, balance problems or deafness then to do nothing is the way to go. Under these circumstances, one shouldn't really see an ENT doctor too early, preferably 4 to 6 months is ideal. Please click on the links below and read my posts on tinnitus that you might find helpful. Try to read them in full and not skim through them. I advise you not to use headphones even at low volume.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin85

Kevin85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just wanted to provide a quick update; This past weekend things seem to have improved quite a bit! I've noticed the ringing has decreased significantly (is now higher in pitch and more faint) and my ears have started cracking/popping more. I can still tell my Eustachian tube in my right ear hasn't fully opened/drained, but I am continuing with Mucinex, nasal spray, and hot steam, hoping that it will open up soon. I still have my appointment with the ENT next week just in case the Eustachian tube still hasn't opened by then.

4. Heather43

Heather43 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi Kevin-

What nasal spray have you been using? I currently have tinnitus in my right ear and was diagnosed with fluid in my ear and a sinus infection. Iā€™m on antibiotics now but would like to try a spray to help relieve the pressure. I hope that everything is improving for you!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin85

Kevin85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Heather - I was initially using an allergy nasal spray (equivalent to Flonase, even though I do not suffer from allergies), but then I switched to a Saline nasal spray that you can find in any drug store, which should help dry up your nasal passages. I also found that boiling a pot of water on the stove provided steam that really helped with relieve the pressure.

I still have some faint high pitched ringing, although it is much more bearable than it first was and I still believe there is fluid/pressure behind the ear, hopefully the ENT will be able to tell for sure after my appointment this week. Good luck with everything!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin85

Kevin85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just thought I would provide another update. I had my appointment with the ENT doctor yesterday and he didn't see any abnormalities with the ear, ear drum appears normal and pressure also appears normal to him (although I feel like there is pressure in my eustachian tubes still).

He had me get an audiogram done while there, and from the report I do appear to have minor hearing loss in my right ear (the one with the ringing) 30 decibels at 6,000 hertz frequency, he explained that this is what is referred to as a "notch" in my hearing, commonly caused by loud noise exposure.

The ENT tried to emphasize that this is a very minor hearing loss and that basically that I will get accustomed to hearing the ringing (I hated hearing that part!). I asked him why I am still experiencing the cracking in the ears and the pressure, and he believed that this was due to me still recovering from my cold, even though my cold is basically over with now.

My tinnitus is still improved over how it originally was, it sounds much higher in frequency, almost what I would imagine a dog whistle would sound like. It is not the same constant sound though, it seems to vary in pitch quite frequently, sometimes every half a second even, which makes it even more noticeable for me. Does anyone else experience this rapid variation in their tinnitus, and have you found anything that helps deal with it?

I started taking Lipo-flavonoid about a week ago consistently, which I will continue to take for the foreseeable future, but not holding my breath on it improving anything. Take care!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin85

Kevin85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just another update I wanted to provide; I still have the high pitched ringing in my right ear. I have noticed that in the morning when I first wake up that I do not hear it at all, and after getting showered and ready for the day it starts to get noticeable, first as more of a hissing sound, then into a high pitched ringing. I'm trying not to fret or notice the sound and keep my attention off of it, but some times it's difficult. It seems that when I hear certain sounds (even as I type this message on the keyboard) triggers the tinnitus to increase while I am hearing the noise, is that to be expected?

I still have this feeling of fullness in the right ear mostly and still seem to have cracking occuring in my ear, like the ear needs to pop but won't. I don't if this is just a result of the damage to my ears, or if they have pressure in them. According to the Tympanogram screening report I received when I had the audiogram performed, my right ear has ear canal volume of 1.23, left is 1.40; Peak Admittance (mL) in the right ear is 0.82 and left ear is 1.25, and peak pressure (daPa) in both ears is -4. According to the audiologist this is a normal pressure reading. I realize that no one can probably comment on their interpretation of these readings, but has anyone experienced / diagnosed with Eustachian Tube Disorder (ETD) and still had 'normal' readings reported on the Tympanogram? I have to travel on a plane later next week and didn't know if I should take any precautions in case I may still have ETD occuring...

Thanks again for the encouragement, I still have hope that this may at least subside more over time.

8. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I'm 6 weeks in with a noise event causing T and the ear fullness has been there for me too. It seems to come and go. It was much more noticeable a month ago compared to now. If I am around noises my ears don't like my ears feel full and sometimes make a crinkly noise for 1-3 days after. It really freaks me out sometimes. I tried chewing gum for a few days to relieve some of the pressure but my jaw got sore from it. The ENT gave me some Flonase for the fullness in the ear too but I stopped after a few days because I don't feel like the fullness is from my Eustacian tubes not working.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin85

Kevin85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      New Guy how are you doing now? Any changes with your Tinnitus? I just came back from a 1 week vacation and during the vacation I barely noticed the tinnitus at all (which was relieving!). However it seems that now that I am home and back to reality, the tinnitus is back to what it felt like prior to going on vacation. I'm trying not to think about it.