New on Forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Wenno, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Wenno
      Lucky

Wenno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely chronic sinus inflammation
      Hi All and I'm very pleased to have found this forum. I'm on antidepressants and trying to 'habituate'.
      I came down with 'sudden sensorineural' hearing loss in late March this year. Diagnosed withing a fortnight by audiologist.

I simply woke up with it one morning- a feeling of fullness in the left ear, along with a 'buzzing' sound and also with what I now know is also 'Diplacusis mono'. I sing one note but hear two- in left ear only.
      A week later 'echoey/loudness' ( 'Hyperacusis' followed in same ear), AND 'pulsatile tinnitus' in right ear- but only when 'bending forward/down' or in bed 'lying back'.

I'd had blocked ears for two weeks prior to all this drama.

I'm convinced that my numerous sinus surgeries and chronic sinus issues left me pre-disposed to this. But I'm convinced it could've been avoided. I'm pretty aggro about it all, especially when apparently if I'd been given an immediate high dose of Pred by the ENT who'd seen me just before diagnosis, I might not be stuck with this life sentence. The Diplacusis is very weird, and the Hyperacusis I'm learning to live with. But they're both 'bearable' now ( 4 months later).

In late May, a different audiologist liaised with my GPs to give me Pred (50 mgs twice daily for 3 days then tapering). I had immediate relief for about a fortnight after that, with no 'fullness/ buzzing'. Then those same two symptoms came back late June. I'm now on the same Pred course again and within days already noting that those same 2 symptoms are leaving me alone yet again. It's wonderful! But for how long, who knows?

It makes no sense. I'm convinced that much of my problems have been ETD related cos with various manoeuvres I'd been able to remove the 'fullness' issue frequently throughout this period until late June. Why does the Pred work when apparently I have a 'damaged ear nerve and dead hair cells' etc?
      Clearly I can't keep taking these steroids every time my symptoms deteriorate- but gee it's like a breath of fresh air when I get these relatively easier days.

The 'so-called' hearing loss is 'mild to moderate low-frequency' and is the least of my problems.
      One audiologist told me to stop focusing on my hearing issues or it would get worse. How does one avoid focusing on something that is so 'all pervasive'? Mm.......

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. prydain12345
      Benevolent

prydain12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/29/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus/Ear infection
      Something I've learned since being on this forum is that even thought it's counter-intuitive, trying your best not to focus on it is one of the best things you can do. Keep yourself distracted. The two greatest things tinnitus preys upon are silence and boredom.

I think I also have ETD related tinnitus, so I can definitely relate to you. Mine started after a cold that turned into a sinus infection that possibly turned into an ear infection. I tried the Toynbee maneuver recently (close your mouth, pinch your nose, and swallow), and it seemed to help me with some ear fluid drainage.

I hope you find some more permanent relief soon!

• Like Like x 2
    3. Nice
      Gloomy

Nice Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss
      Welcome, I also have sudden hearing loss. I'm going on six weeks. Everyday is different for me but the ringing is constant. I have to use maskers, sound therapy, to get through my day. Mornings are the worst. I'm determined to return to my normal routines but some days are challenging. I'm crying less so that's a good sign I guess.

Monica

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Did a professional diagnose you with pusaltile tinnitus?, it has nothing in common with regular tinnitus.

Hearing loss is your ultimate problem as if there was a way to reverse various forms of cochlear damage it would probably reverse tinnitus and hyperacusis as well. Within 5-10 years there will be medicines that regenerate cochlear hair cells
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/frequency-therapeutics-—-hearing-loss-regeneration.18889/

Predisone works by speeding up the bodies natural healing process they do not address long term damage.

Audiologist aren't really a help, they don't specialize in tinnitus and obviously cannot restore hearing and they certainly don't like telling people about devices that might be available in 2-3 years they may help with tinnitus.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-university-of-michigan-tinnitus-discovery-—-signal-timing.2805/

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wenno
      Lucky

Wenno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely chronic sinus inflammation
      Thank you, wonderful people for your responses- I feel much less alone. I’m going to check those links and do some reading. The recent Prednisolone helped again- but as I’m tapering it down again the symptoms seem to be damned awful. The loud echoey sounds of every-day stuff like voices is a real issue right now. I mowed the lawn on Sunday. Used basic foam ear plugs since the mower really doesn’t trouble me- but since then ‘the buzzing’ is back and everything is SO loud. I broke down at work with frustration and self-pity. I know there are many people with worse problems and I feel for all of you on here who suffer to varying degrees with the different aspects of hearing disorders. It’s a tough gig, no doubt about it.