New Product — Helmet Angel — for Cyclists with Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Support' started by kelpiemsp, Feb 26, 2019.

1. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      • Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Plainsman

Plainsman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure, potentially from shooting range
      I’m a cyclist, following...

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bike pic time! Here's a photo of my baby... I love her... 20170713_133625.jpg

• Like Like x 10
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
    5. Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      @kelpiemsp Nice bike! I have a Bianchi too, but only a cheaper Via Nirone 7.

Not been on it since my tinnitus worsened a couple of months ago. Life hasn't been the same without cycling, need it back in my life. Was afraid of making things worse from wind noise and traffic. Didn't really notice it getting worse in the past when I had milder tinnitus. But I have tinnitus from loud noise exposure so have to be cautious with this recent spike.

How did you get on with the Cat-Ears and Windblox? Do they help? I'm tempted to buy the Helmet Angels as they're affordable and worth a try. Look a little strange though, as commented by @gorzakus but I'm sure I'd get used to them and the comments from fellow cyclists.

6. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      The cat ears help a lot with wind noise, you just have to tighten the strap a bit.
      It reduces the wind noise with at least 70 percent for me.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      @gorzakus That's a big reduction in noise. I'm assuming it doesn't help with other noise such as traffic noise. Do you use anything else for protection or find that the cat ears are enough?

8. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Cat ears are enough for me, I actually like the bit of wind noise since it masks the tinnitus.I don't protect my ears when outdoors, only in restaurants or loud places.I don't go to bars, movies , concerts or clubs anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      Thanks for the information. Might give both the cat ears and helmet angels a try then and get back on the bike.

10. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Ok please let me know the difference between both, looks interesting

11. Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      Will do. I have just ordered the Helmet Angel protectors which I'll try first. I'll feedback here after I've had my first ride with them. Then I'll most probably get the Cat-Ears to compare.

I've just viewed the following video reviewing Cat-Ears and Wind Blox. The noise reduction claimed isn't as good as advertised going on the results in the video, but still a significant reduction.

Wind reducers - How good are they?...We test!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Plainsman

Plainsman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do the cat ears get sweaty in the Summer? I ride a lot in the heat, lots of climbing, and I was afraid that they might act like sponges.

I just got back on the trainer for the first time this year. I wore ear plugs out of fear/caution. I have a kickr which is pretty quiet, but also run a fan. My tinnitus is very recent and I’m still on prednisone, so perhaps my caution is unfounded but I’m trying not to expose my ears to anything unusual. Any thoughts on noise and indoor training?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Well I have the new type cat ears and don't have any problem with sweat, but you can always wash them afterwards.
      As to indoor training I don't see any problem. I couldn't imagine not having sports anymore to release stress and adrenaline so please don't give up sports as it will only add to your anxiety.

• Like Like x 1
    14. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      I put this thing to the test this morning. I taped the mic from my earbuds to my ear and used my decibel app to measure the noise with and without Cat Ears.

I measured my speed with my Garmin sportswatch and had the following results:

riding speed at 25 km/h:
      84 dB without Cat Ears
      70 dB with Cat Ears

riding speed at 35 km/h:
      90 dB without Cat Ears
      77 dB with Cat Ears

Since I barely ride faster than 35 km/h I didn't measure going faster, it's not exact science but it gives us an idea.

Anyway I would recommend everyone cycling to use Cat Ears or some form of protection when you see these figures.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/listen-cyclists-risk-hearing-loss/

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      I need to get some...
      She's got a proper track stem on it now

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    16. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I never thought of protecting my ears when cycling – are you cycling on some really busy roads? To be honest I would feel slightly unsafe, I like to be able to hear where all the vehicles are.

17. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      You hear the traffic better with the cat ears because the wind noise is less and it's the wind noise that's damaging.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It really depends on the speed you are cycling. I am an amateur racer, category 3 in the US. Group rides are almost always above 23 MPH / 35 km. Recent studies show at that speed, dB can average in the 90s. I usually do atleast one 4 hour ride at this pace a week.

19. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Do you use ear plugs or some kind of protection during these rides?

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No but I have road aero helmet that helps a lot. https://www.giro.com/us_en/vanquish/

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What’s your helmet and sunglasses situation? I feel like the right helmet can help (and the wrong can hurt).

22. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      My helmet doesn't cover my ears, I don't really understand how the shape of your helmet can lessen the wind noise because it's on on top of your head and not in front of your ears.
      Did you ever try to measure the decibels when wearing your helmet?

23. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      If I know for sure it reduces the wind noise to tolerable levels I would buy it in a second but I can't find any review mentioning anything about reduction of wind noise.
      Would be nice to try it somewhere and test the decibel reduction

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Plainsman

Plainsman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When I did a lot of triathlon I used the Giro Advantage 2, total ear coverage, but not what you want for a 4 hour group ride in the mountains. I honestly never thought about wind noise before. I’ve cycled for a long time, wonder if that could have contributed to my issues?

• Like Like x 1
    25. Plainsman

Plainsman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @gorzakus, thanks for the encouragement. With the lack of sleep, getting on the trainer is a challenge for sure, but I’m praying this phase of sleeplessness will soon pass.

• Like Like x 1
    26. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Maybe it did, maybe it didn't.
      I don't know the hearing loss ratings among professional cyclists but don't they wear ear buds all the time as well? I think for me it was the wind noise from my motorbike that did me in combined with stress, I had no idea about the decibels wind noise can produce. It never seemed loud at all but what is done is done so no use in dwelling about the past.

27. Plainsman

Plainsman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very true @gorzakus, the past is fixed. All we have is the present and the future.

• Like Like x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Because a good aero helmet shapes wind from the first point of attack (your forehead) and around your head. A good aero helmet creates an air gap around your ears and significantly reduces wind. This is especially true when riding at high speeds into wind.

Also, it depends on your head inclination. I.E. flat back and riding

I suppose if you are sitting straight up that would affect things. But I’m taking almost exclusively riding in an aero position.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Plainsman

Plainsman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Okay, I’ve got to get back on the bike (outside). For mountain biking I’m not worried about wind noise (I doubt my sub 10mph average rides are hurting me - you can tell I climb more than downhill). But I want to get back in the road and need to pull the trigger on something. I’ve read that the new cat ears slims are not as effective as the originals (although I think they look a lot better). Any thoughts? Anybody tried the helmet angel yet? Any of you guys on Zwift by the way?

30. Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      @gorzakus @kelpiemsp

Hi both. Hope you're keeping well and still enjoying the cycling.

It's been a long time since I posted and intended to feedback on the Helmet Angels that I bought a few months ago. I've only today got back on the bike after many months out of cycling - took up hiking/walking instead which has been great with no negative effect on my T, even on top of windy mountains (wearing skull cap to protect ears).

My opinion on Helmet Angels - they look good and I had nothing but positive compliments from a cycling buddy. However, it felt that the noise levels from the wind seemed either the same or worse - only riding at 11 mph average speed! I kept adjusting them thinking I hadn't put them on correctly, but I believe they were correctly fitted. Have come home from my ride with elevated T, definitely spiked, seems louder than normal, so am a little disheartened. And to make things worse I have recently ordered a brand new bike as I really wanted to get back into the cycling to compliment the walking/hiking.

It looks like I will try the Cat-ears next. Are you still using the Cat-Ears/ Windblox? Have you found any better alternatives? Is there a combination that you use e.g. foam ear plugs+Cat Ears/Windblox or Ear Muffs. Would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

• Informative Informative x 1