New Research for Hearing Loss Using Stem Cells from the UK

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Anonymous2929, Feb 17, 2016.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    1. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Thanks for the link.
      Not a breakthrough, but a MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!
      But than they continue:
      the next stage will be to “check if the cells can restore hearing”.
      But I do like to see news like this:)

I was able to find more information on this link: http://www.ballymenatimes.com/stem-cells-for-deafness-1-350456
      Perhaps the other link does not work fully for countries outside the UK?

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anonymous2929

Anonymous2929 Guest

The link seems to be working for me so is the link which you posted. Both have the same information.

The main player in this is The University of Sheffield. They started researching in stem cells for hearing loss since 1999.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ourplan...dies-archive/stem-cell-deafness-cure-1.254363

They are also affiliated with Action On Hearing Loss. AOHL merged with RND I think. They are highly funded but as we all know, it is really complicated. I was told by one leading researcher, that they only found chickens can regenerate their hearing senses but humans cannot in the 80's. He also said it is slow due to not finding genes fast enough. His understanding is there are hundreds of genes in the cochlea/hearing nerves but only half have been discovered. Thus in my belief, a full blown cure will be be possible until all genes have been discovered. A very long time line to go

3. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Many people are saying a cure is in 10 years though. Can I ask what s realistic timeframe is? Also whatever happened to genvec? The trial with them is supposedly still going on and could complete in ten years. I know there is a pause on the study, but does anyone know when it will resume?

4. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Unless I am missing something, this is not new. The paper appears to be from 2009: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/stem.62/abstract

As far as I know, it isn't publicly known why it was paused. Therefore, no one knows when or if it will resume.

5. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes it looks like you are correct. Weird! Why would they do something like this?
      I already thought that this stem cell approach had been looked at before, but ignored it and looked at the date of the news article(s).
      This means there is 8 years more knowledge out there:rockingbanana:

I have read articles that state that computer models/software have been improved a lot in the last couple of years. We could not do it without computers.
      I think we all would like to know. Every day I check for news on Yahoo finance if something changes

6. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      unfortunatly, 10 years means always "nobody knows"... 10 years ago, it was always written in 10 years... so it's a widely used term.
      I think that a solution for inner ear regeneration will come along with therapies for other unsolved health problems.
      Nobody can predict a timeframe, but all the research should give us hope.
      There will be also man failings and many missleading headlines until we see some causal working therapies.
      But advances in the last 10 years has been incredible, this is certain.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree with @tomytl
      I keep following Action On Hearing Loss, Hearing Health Foundation, Harvard and other universities.
      They are dedicated and sometimes, verry cousioutsly, make predictions when to expect important improvements.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anonymous2929

Anonymous2929 Guest

Genvec study consists using gene therapy. Stem cells is a different approach. Not sure what is happening with genvec's. Might be an safety concern

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anonymous2929

Anonymous2929 Guest

Weird indeed!

10. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Do you mean the inner hair cell restoration trial?

11. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Is there something special about stem cells from the UK ?

:p

• Funny Funny x 2
    12. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      I have a feeling Japan will be one of the first to touch hearing loss through the use of stem cells whether it be through hair cell restoration or auditory nerve restoration. With their newly established guidelines of clinical trials, they'll be able to quickly test and create treatments through the use of stem cells much faster than any other country. They've discovered ways to restore our hearing through the auditory nerve and I believe they've touched base for hair cell regeneration. They already plan to be the first to treat those with diseases like Parkinsons, Alzheimers, Heart Disease, etc. I say keep an eye on them. They've already seen great results from some of their stem cell treatments.

• Like Like x 1
    13. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Nick, where did you read this information? So are they going at it at their own. I don't suppose they are part of the HRP hearing restoration project?

Great article from above. Thanks for sharing Anonymous2929.

14. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here is the article talking about Japan's speedy Stem Cell trials: http://www.bioinformant.com/stem-ce...ized-market-for-ips-cell-therapy-development/

Stem Cell's Push for Regenerative Medicine: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/oct/07/stem-cell-meeting-mesa-2016-japan/

Here is Japan's new stem cell discovery method that allowed restoration of the auditory system. Interesting that the ATA posted this on their site. (Not associated w/ hair cell restoration): https://www.ata.org/news/news/new-s...ion-method-restores-damaged-auditory-pathways

- The University of Kyoto in Japan seems to be working with the UK's University of Sheffield on the 2nd link.

I thought I had read an article about Japan working with hair cell regeneration but it turns out that it was actually for ACTUAL hair follicle regeneration!

• Informative Informative x 2
    15. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anonymous2929

Anonymous2929 Guest

Yes! Lol. The UK used stem cells a few weeks in an actual operation for blindess...first of its kind ever. Plus I live in the UK and it makes me proud that British institutes are researching for a therapy for us

• Like Like x 3
    17. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      It should be a UE initiative, I don't understand why european researcher don't work together to create drugs/stem cell/gene therapy together... :/

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anonymous2929

Anonymous2929 Guest

If so, then it be great! But why do I read at times that stems cells used in East Asia (japan and china) are unsafe? And anyone going there needs their brains scanning

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anonymous2929

Anonymous2929 Guest

No problem :)

20. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I've always wanted to go to Japan. ;)

*Seriously, I would be more than willing to be a guinea pig for the research. Quite frankly, here in the West we take too damn long to start human trials on various treatments.

• Like Like x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anonymous2929

Anonymous2929 Guest

You are correct there. Imagine if Sheffield University collaborates with the Stanford initiative to cure hearing loss! They both are working on stem cells. Imagine, there be a cure out much quicker. The likes of Stefen Heller from the SITHL and marcelo rivolta from Sheffield working together...too good to be true

• Genius Genius x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anonymous2929

Anonymous2929 Guest

I'm checking these out! I sell a limb to be involved if they looking for people!

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anonymous2929

Anonymous2929 Guest

Thats due to the bloody FDA in the USA and MRC in the UK. I think the EU also sticks their fingers in. In the papers last week, there was a high ranking cancer research doctor who blamed the EU for not allowing cancer research clinical trials

24. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is some collaboration going on in Europe: http://cordis.europa.eu/news/rcn/123985_en.html
      But I agree it would be highly beneficial if scientists in the hearing restoration field would team together more than is happening at the moment. Make Hearing Health Foundation bigger:beeranimation:

25. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      @attheedgeofscience started stem cell therapy 3 years ago. you can read his journal here.

TLDR: 35% reduction in one ear, 50% reduction in another

26. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The type of stem cell therapy ATEOS went through is not one to where the stem cells allow significant regeneration of damaged areas to the auditory system. Surely it boosted his overall health through the replenishing process of injecting the Cord Blood Stem Cells into his spinal cord. The funny thing about this non FDA approved stem cell therapy that this man went through is that it's way to faulty for me to actually believe there was an improvement from this procedure. There has been work done with embryonic like stem cells being differentiated precisely into auditory neurons which then have been transplanted straight into the ear of a non functional auditory nerve. The stem cells were directly placed on the damaged glial scars "portions left behind from the damaged spiral ganglion neurons" and even with such detailed work there was not a very immensely shown improvement in the auditory system. Results varied, some showed good improvements and others not at all.

It just baffles me that a procedure that uses Cord Blood Stem Cells injected into ones spinal cord would allow vast improvement of ones Tinnitus or even Outer/Inner Hair Cell properties. Where were these statistical percentages found that showed such improvements and what did they base it off of? From ATEOS' own thoughts on his hearing? If this stem cell therapy actually showed the potential to cure the ailments of ones central nervous system issues regarding hearing then it would be all over the news, social media, and we would be celebrating as a cure for auditory damage has been discovered. Tinnitus sites and sufferers would be glorifying this procedure no matter what the price was.

I'm not trying to bash the bravery of ATEOS, but it's just the factors of this procedure show way to many faulty figures to distinguish this stem cell therapy actually restored destroyed or damaged neurons associated with the auditory system.