New Scientist: Train Your Brain for Better Hearing

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Sound Wave, Jul 16, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Sound Wave

Sound Wave Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Interesting. I've read somewhere else (sorry don't have source at the moment) that professional musicians always had better speech understanding in noise scores than their non-musically trained counterparts, despite having more advanced hearing loss.
    3. Quentino

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Ear is only the brain microphone.
      This is why people with hearing aids have to habituate : to train their brain again!
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Dawn Whinetaker

Dawn Whinetaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I've heard that as well, and I find it to be very true. Lip-reading in particularly seems to be a skill that many musically talented people can pick up on. I'm not sure why that is, exactly- but it's a trait I've noticed with many of my friends who play in bands. I, on the other hand, am not very musically talented- and I have a lot of trouble reading lips. It's a skill I'm still trying to learn.