New Study Looking for Blood Markers in Tinnitus Patients

Discussion in 'Research News' started by maxthescout, Feb 27, 2019.

1. maxthescout
      Spaced

maxthescout Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      Last week I was invited to participate in a study to ascertain the presence of tinnitus by looking at metabolomic blood markers conducted by the School of Population Health at the University of Auckland.

The selection criteria was quite rigorous, as they were looking specifically for people with tinnitus on one side as a result of noise exposure (that's me!). I think I'm the participant number 10 or so, and I've been told that the target is to reach 30. It's a small country, but let's hope they find the remaining volunteers soon.

This is, believe it or not, the first study of its kind.

So, if you live in New Zealand and you're reading this (and you're not a doctor or academic), reach out to the Hearing Clinic at the Auckland University and get ready to donate a teaspoon of your precious blood!

I'll be notified of the results of this study, so I'll keep you posted (I won't if this thread goes unnoticed).

I've also managed to cope with my tinnitus like a champ... If anyone's interested I can share my experience.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Didn't go unnoticed. Keep us posted!

Do you have a web link for the study? Or is there one available?

Also glad you're doing well with your tinnitus. Feel welcome to post your story in the "Success Stories" section if you'd like and feel it's a fit.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      maxthescout
      Spaced

maxthescout Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      There's not a web link for this specific study, although I'll make the recommendation. The clinic's website is: http://www.clinics.auckland.ac.nz/en/about/our-services/hearing-and-tinnitus.html

4. TimmyC
      Innocent

TimmyC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD possibly, or neck and jaw, or maybe anxiety?
      Using blood markers to identify noise induced tinnitus? That is exciting! I wonder what process they discovered to give this hypothesis any weight?