New Study Reveals the Function of a Mysterious Component of the Inner Ear

Discussion in 'Research News' started by derpytia, Jun 30, 2018.

1. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      So Harvard found something out that might be of help to those with Meniere's...

https://hms.harvard.edu/news/safety-valve

"In a study published June 19 in eLife, the team reported the results of their investigation: the endolymphatic sac acts as a pressure-relief valve and is formed by a thin barrier of cellular projections that opens and closes to regulate the release of fluid from inside the inner ear.

Their findings reveal a unique biological mechanism for maintaining fluid pressure and composition and may inform the study and treatment of disorders involving defects in inner ear pressure such as Meniere’s disease, a condition marked by vertigo, hearing loss and ringing in the ears. The results could also help researchers study pressure control in other organs such as the eyes and kidneys, which also have liquid-filled cavities."

It's an interesting read. Check it out.

• Like Like x 7
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Good study but nothing useful for cure

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Harvard found something that may eventually be helpful to those with menieres, rather.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Terrel

Terrel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe not too loud music? Maybe something crawling in my ear
      What is it?

5. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Nothing new discovered though. I have some kind of hydrops due to acoustic trauma and I also have some eye floaters and blurred vision that got them at the same time I got tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. noitseuq

noitseuq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Right 2006. Left 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      @cspc the acoustic trauma caused you hydrop ? What symptoms you have/ for how long? and how were you diagnosed?

7. noitseuq

noitseuq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Right 2006. Left 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Hope this study gets fast follow up and open a way for a cure.

8. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Acoustic trauma was diagnosed has taken place in February and was diagnosed in March. Didn't got an official diagnosis for hydrops but I have episodes with strong tinnitus and hearing loss that go on for 2-3 days.

After those my hearing returns to normal but sometimes it doesn't. Sugar, Salt and Alcohol affect my tinnitus and my hearing very much. I usually don't have dizziness but once last month I had an episode with tinnitus, temporary hearing loss and dizziness where I couldn't stand or move for 30 minutes.

I have some days where I hear a low buzz and after that I get hearing loss in high frequencies along with tinnitus in high frequencies. I get sound distortion sometimes in low frequencies and sometimes in high frequencies. I went to 4 ENTs the first 2 saw the acoustic trauma in March and April.

Then I went to another 2 these saw an issue with the pressure behind my tympani in May and in July. They found abnormal pressure in my ears. I had a type A tympanogram in May and an abnormal tympanogram (type B) in July. I was prescribed nasal sprays, neti pot saline rinses, saline rinses, beta-synto (betahistine for better inner ear function) in May. I saw no difference in my ringing or my symptoms with the rinses and the sprays. The beta-synto was good but it gave me some weird side effects with my eyes (blurry vision and a dark spot and I discontinued it). I don't have the dark spot anymore but I still have blurry vision.

The 4th ENT has prescribed me a nasoxyl for when I travel with an airplane and betaserc for daily use. I didn't took any of them. Betahistine messes with my eyes I'm not aware if anyone here experienced something so strange with Betahistine.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Thank you to all who came here to be negative lol :)

This is important though because a lot of people have tinnitus due to meniere's and this information could lead to some actual treatments or even cures for those who have it.

I don't have it but I'm sure this is good news to those who do like @glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's anger actually. Anger is a positive emotion. It shows that you are interested enough and you are willing to make changes and find things that work. This finding is important but it's a pretty obvious one if they have studied enough and seriously and they could have found a treatment by now.

Good for them they found it later then than never.

11. CricketEars

CricketEars Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      Personally I think it's also interesting because Zebrafish can regenerate their hearing when it is damaged, so it's great that they are finding new discoveries about them and then finding how it applies to the human ear

12. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      @derpytia Thank you for your post. It’s sounds very promising. Go Harvard!!

13. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Anyone with Meniere’s Disease should consider trying the “John of Ohio” regimen. The components are all safe, over the counter supplements that are not very expensive and it seems that many sufferers (over 80 percent) have found good improvement.

John (of Ohio) explains the entire regimen in great detail.

http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.PDF