New Sufferer

Discussion in 'Support' started by miss_todd, Sep 2, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. miss_todd
      Bookworm

miss_todd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure yet...
      Hi guys, have had tinnitus for just over 2 weeks - is there anything I can insist from my GP that will help me in the initial stages? I had a hearing test yesterday which was normal.

Appreciate any advice.

Thank you

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      I wish you the best and your in the right place for support. Only thing I can recommend is anti anxiety medication like clonapam. That's if its causing you anxiety or insomnia.

3. Craggy 65
      Amazed

Craggy 65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Hi,how are coping at present?

4. miss_todd
      Bookworm

miss_todd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure yet...
      Thanks guys. I feel I'm coping ok, I have a radio on my desk at work which takes my mind off of it whilst I'm there. I don't find it difficult to get to sleep as I always read before bed which makes me drop off, but if I wake up then I really struggle to get back to sleep! :( I just had a bit of a panic on my way home, the pitch and volume of the t increased double in my right ear for about 20 seconds then went back to its normal volume - is this normal?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

SteveSkis92 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity from Electronic Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol)
      Hi MT, don't worry about that very short "spike." This is called "fleeting tinnitus" and is very common in everyone, even people who don't have T. No need to panic, but I definitely understand why you would! Hang in there!

-Steve

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      What is the cause of your T? If it is from loud noise exposure, then steroids like Prednisone may help your case, and you should get it from the doctor asap. If you can cope with it well, and can sleep without meds, then perhaps your T is mild. Try masking with a sound machine, or using PC with TT's masking sounds on the 'Don't panic' thread. By the way, this thread also contains the link to a sleep thread for more info on sleeping with T.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/panic/

You can even try natural sleep supplements to help sleep better, such as Camomile tea, Hops, Valerian tablets, Melatonin etc. Check out this site on using natural herbs for sleep problem:

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/library/articles-on-herbs-and-health/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia/

7. miss_todd
      Bookworm

miss_todd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure yet...
      Thanks for your replies and your suggestions Billie. I haven't worked out what has caused my t, I think it is linked to my jaw/neck problems.

8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      How loud is your tinnitus on a scale of 1-10? Like in terms of loudness can you hear it everywhere or just in quiet rooms?

9. miss_todd
      Bookworm

miss_todd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure yet...
      I would say a 2. Noticeable in a quiet room but when radio/TV is on and I'm concentrating on something I don't notice it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      I know this condition is a pain and I am not dismissing your struggle in any way but be thankful its a 2. Some of us on here are stuck above 5.

11. miss_todd
      Bookworm

miss_todd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure yet...
      Ok thank you. Does it usually stay the same volume throughout or will it get quieter/louder?