New Tinnitus Sufferer :(

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Reeree1994, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Reeree1994

Reeree1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      End of July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One week after panic attack
      A long story short in July I was having anxiety attacks , about a week after this attack I was having odd symptoms , the last to occur was tinnitus :( and it never left :(

The past few weeks I had sort of gotten used to it , it toned down, wasn't think of it as much and was no longer bothersm

Two nights ago I was on YouTube - found a video "a day in the life with tinnitus" someone made a virtual example and the video was so accurate however the video was playing a constant beeeeeeeep to portray tinnitus!!!! After the video ended my tinnitus was sooo loud and a constant beeeeeeep

Two days later my tinnitus is still loud from this :( last night I could not sleep and was constantly woken up to the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tone :(

Has anyone had this happen ? Will the tinnitus go back to quiet ? I'm only 23 and this making me very depressed :(

Any support would be appreciated

Ree xx

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You said "The past few weeks I had sort of gotten used to it , it toned down, wasn't think of it as much and was no longer bothersm". I think concentrating on your tinnitus is making it louder for you and right now you are depressed and keep focusing on it which makes it worse. I totally get where you are coming from. Try to go out and get some sunshine and exercise and hang out with your friends and see if you get distracted from it...then when you are in a good mood you might "check on it". Hopefully by then it won't bother you and it will have gone down.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Based on my personal experiences and the experiences of others on this forum, it is most likely a temporary spike. Keep in mind that temporary spikes often last longer than a week. If it lasts longer than a month or two, you might begin worrying about it being permanent.

But this shows how something that is harmless to a person with normal ears can cause problems for us, now that our ears have been compromised. The fact that you say that your T had "toned down" seems to imply that your T will continue fading and that in 6-12 months you ought to be feeling a lot better.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      going through the same thing, I have a horrible spike now after watching a screamer video a week ago, I hope it's stress rather than damage that is causing it, only time will tell.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Nina Saleh

Nina Saleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably neck pain, stress, sleep issues
      The long beeping you heard in the video is the reason your T spiked. Even ppl who don't suffer from T will experience this listening to ringing for a long time. Don't worry as long as it was getting lower before, it will again. Just try as much as possible to get good sleep , i understand it's hard with the buzzing but try to use a loud fan or something to mask your T so you can get good sleep. And just to make sure your health is ok, run a blood test and see if there's any deficiency found, you can take the supplements that goes with it. But don't worry, you're gonna be ok :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Grantas
      Relaxed

Grantas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu - Low Frequency SSHL
      Try to be as positive as you can. Spikes can be scary, but over time you'll accept them and be aware that they subside.
      My T spikes constantly and rarely follows any real pattern. Sometimes it's very low, other times I can hear it above the car engine and radio.
      You will adjust and you will get used to it. Of course it's scary, but your live will and can be as rich as it was without tinnitus. Don't let it define you.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reeree1994

Reeree1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      End of July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for your reply ! I have been going to work keep distracted but all I can focus on is this tinnitus :( and I think about it everyday I just wish I could forget about it :( im turkey hating myself for watching that video :(

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reeree1994

Reeree1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      End of July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Bill I really appreciate the positive comment ! I truely hope this is temporary :( not only is it louder but the tone changed entirely :( it used to be More a buzzing noise but now it's a constant eeeeeeeee like my ear has replicated the noise it heard off the video , from your experience is this normal and still concidered a spike?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reeree1994

Reeree1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      End of July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Thankyou for the reassurance Nina ! I highly appreciate your reply :) I have done multiple tests and I'm healthy :( just this stupid tinnitus :( I'm only so concerened because prior to the video I watched my tinnitus was more of a buzzing but now it's the eeeeeee like my ear and brain duplicated the noise from the video :( is this normal and still nothing to worry about ? It's been three days of this horrible loud tone

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reeree1994

Reeree1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      End of July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Grantas for your positivity I can't help but always be panick and afraid :( it's such a dibilitating thing to experience :( any tips on how to stop noticing or thinking about it ? I'm really struggling here :( only support I have is this forum

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know a second acoustic trauma can change T from a hiss to a high pitch tone. It can eventually change pitch again...

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reeree1994

Reeree1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      End of July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Urgh why has the universe created such a curse !

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What I was trying to say is that people Had experienced improvement after months of higher than normal T. Wait 3 months before getting upset......

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reeree1994

Reeree1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      End of July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks I will try to remind myself it will settle :( is it ok to still like I dno go on an airplane ? Go to night clubs? What if a fire alarm goes off near by I dno is all this going to affect tinnitus ?

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Fire alarm Had gone off near people with pre-existing tinnitus, and they ended up with a (permanent or temporary) spike. There are many stories like that posted on this site. Other horror stories involve being stuck next to a police car that had its siren on. After reading those horror stories, I always carry
      https://www.amazon.com/PELTOR-Ear-Muff-Headband-X5A/dp/B00BBCTQK6/
      with me, everywhere I go (including important meetings). It should only take a couple of seconds to slip those on.

Search this forum. There are many threads about this. My understanding is that it is not a good idea fly (unless you take something to address the problem) if you have congestion.

Otherwise, if you wear Earplanes earplugs under the Peltor Muffs or Bose 35 noise cancelling headphones, you ought to be ok. Aisle seats in the front part of the plane are a little quieter.

I believe that this is a bad idea. This forum is full of horror stories of people getting permanent spikes despite wearing ear plugs to night clubs.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...the-onset-of-tinnitus-and-regretted-it.23061/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/earplugs-muffs-give-very-little-protection.21737/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-much-worse-after-club-despite-wearing-solid-35-db-custom-earplugs-—-im-at-my-wits-end.15744/#post-186018

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/bad-spike-not-subsiding-after-loud-bar-—-despite-wearing-properly-inserted-earplugs.20675/#post-239000

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...t-an-acoustic-trauma-shock.18964/#post-219363

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...le-in-real-life-situations.19067/#post-220314

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/33-decibel-earplug-not-protecting-from-sound.22151/

In fact, some people take a risk exposing their ears to noise years after their T had been cured only to get debilitating T again. I believe that now that our ears had been compromised, we should do our best to avoid noise. The risk is not worth it.

16. Nina Saleh

Nina Saleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably neck pain, stress, sleep issues
      You need to make sure that your Middle and inner ear are not affected/damaged. So, if you didn't do the audiogram and tympanogram after this video incident then you need to do those tests and a blood test of course. If the results turn ok, this means that what you have is not related to your ears. It will either be something related to your central nervous system and brain, or something related to your muscles ( neck, jaw and facial muscles) and in such case there are several ways to lower the T down, you will find many threads here that can help you out.. You can check my thread it could be useful for you..

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reeree1994

Reeree1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      End of July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I did all that before an I was fine it came on as a symptom of anxiety , the tone in the video was not loud enough to cause damage ! It must be the central nervous system :( it had quietned down heaps up until I watched that video and it changed the tone to a constant eeeeee where as before it was just buzzing. :( how can I tone it down if it's not ear damage ?

18. Artie 22

Artie 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones / Loud noise / Anxiety
      Anxiety is our biggest enemy. It is usually impossible to tell how much influence it has on a spike/ change of tone. I think because you are concentrating on the noise & listening to it all the time it is making it worse. I remember my Tinnitus tone & volume changing following a hearing test. It did settle again but beware it can easily become an obsession, if you allow it to be. The only way to get through it is by distracting yourself & keeping busy. Don't sit around listening to it ( of which I am guilty of!)
      All the best. I hope things improve for you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reeree1994

Reeree1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      End of July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But I don't know how to stop listening for it :( my mind constantly looking out for it and listening to it I just can't stop it :(