New to Forum, Not to Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JFB, Mar 5, 2018.

1. JFB

JFB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/Labyrinthitis
      I was diagnosed with tinnitus 2005 and have had permanent ringing in left ear and muted ringing in right ear. I have managed well apart from loader bouts with a cold, loud TV noise, an evening in a noisy pub/restaurant and long car journeys.

In 2012 I had what I can only describe a the fog horn of the QE2 in my left ear which was intermittent. The doctor said it may be a spasm and within a couple of days it cleared.
      Now.... this QE2 has returned with a vengeance.

It’s my left ear and is permanent (3 sleepless days now) and my ear feels full. My tinnitus has also become louder in the ear.

The only time it stops is if I massage my left neck.... which is tiring, and if there is external noise. This morning my husband was showering and the noise returned after he turned off the extractor fan in the bathroom.

Just now as I type it’s noisy and my husband asked me a question from another room, it stopped .. then it returned when he finished talking.

What is the cause?
      I have a very mild sore throat.

Please reassure me that this is not going to get worse..... I’m not a person who suffers stress and am pretty chilled about my tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I am sorry that you are not feeling well. Have you seen a dr or an ent to possibly discuss your issues? Tinnitus can a difficult ordeal, so do know that you are not alone. All of us face it daily and this site supports all it's members...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JFB

JFB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for answering.

I have considered the Dr. but although my experience is OK with them they seem to give quick and easy solutions which never quite answers my problem.
      Came to this site in a hope that others may have had a similar noise and what it actually is.
      As I have a minor sore throat I thought I’d await until it clears and if the noise still continues I will consider the Dr (at least he won’t be able to blame the sore throat if I go now).
      I have been through the ENT route and my hearing is fine and the MRI was clear....Well not totally , I do have a brain!).

Thank you for your support and hope some other unfortunate sufferers can give me their experience with this wretched fog horn noise.

4. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey,
      Your not alone here, you might try getting a basic book on massage and giving it to your husband... then use yourself as a guiny pig for the massage. Perhaps that would help or a chiropractor. You could take some suppliments like magnesium and valerian root for an easyer time sleeping but I bet you know all that allready. Next to that I am kinda new to T, but thats what I would come up with after reading your post.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @JFB,
      You might find the utube masking byEasyjet
      Good for a deeper drone tinnitus.
      Love glynis

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JFB

JFB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      John 415 -Have tried many supplements over the years and Ginko is my most used one.
      As for a chiropractor it’s something I shall consider if the cause is related to muscle or spine misalignment problems.

Glynis - thank you for the EasyJet suggestion..... instant relief! :joyful: :joyful:
      I shall be playing it tonight to catch up on my sleep and then after a couple more days, if it continues, it will be the professional route (dr’s... etc).

But I still don’t know the root cause....... no head/neck trauma, age maybe? (60yrs),
      Thyroid prob? (Hypo).....

Neck massage stops the deep noise, external sounds stops the noise even scratching my head stops it! Is it a spasm or is something blocked.?

Any other similar suffers out there as to the cause?

NB My tinnitus has not been affected... it continues to happily ring in the background of this ‘fog horn’.