New to the Forum, Hello Bonjour

Discussion in 'Support' started by CoraFrance, Apr 13, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. CoraFrance

CoraFrance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi!
      My hyperacusis started in 2008 after several years of over exposure to loud music. I had taken prescription ibuprofen and was on major antibiotics once in a while. At first I was in pain all the time and every single noise hurt. Since, my ears have gotten a lot better. I can now go to quiet restaurants and to shopping malls. I have purchased a plane ticket to go back to Canada to see my family this summer (the first time in 9 years). I am worried about the flight...I bought a first class ticket to be right up at the front. Anyone have experience flying a long distance with hyperacusis?
      Cora

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      Just wear ear muffs all the time and that's it !

Even economy class is fine with those

A good pair for the best noise reduction possible and comfort are the peltor x5a

Also good for long car drives or noisy places

3. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      image.jpeg

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    4. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I paint over the white line using a thick black marker and it looks like a pair of big headphones

5. CoraFrance

CoraFrance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Thanks for the support Bobby. I guess I will be ok. I also have noise-cancelling head phones (they cost 300$!) so I guess I will see what is the most comfortable! But during the safety presentation at the beginning I will have to put in some good old orange foam earplugs (they don't like it when you wear earphones... they think you aren't listening to them!).
      I am just worried about the 3 hours in the airport, then the 9 hour flight and then 1 hour getting luggage... that equals 13 hours straight wearing heavy duty ear protection... are my ears going to survive the sensitivity afterwards?

Oh and also the vibrations of the plane motor... my ears really don't like the rumble of big trucks... ouch... for 9 hours ...sigh....

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear plugs dont cut bass much and that's what you mostly get inside a plane or car, truck . Ear muffs are Better for bass especially this type and you can take them out whenever you want.
      Most people think they are over sized ear phone but in fact most People don't even care at all everyone is thinking about their own little problems

• Useful Useful x 1
    7. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And also - it's hard to insert those foam plugs deep into the ear to get the real 30db reduction - and what's more , you have to be super careful removing those as you could hurt the drum and get more damages by pulling them out too fast
      Not to mention the risk to push wax deeper into the ear
      If you have real ear issues the look aspect isn't a big priority at least for me

8. CoraFrance

CoraFrance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      That's true... everyone has their own problems to worry about, and I have mine!
      Good insight about the foam plugs not blocking out as much bass as earmuffs... that's important to me!
      Oh and yeah, putting in and taking out those ear plugs isn't really comfortable. In my country I can get these wax earplugs that are pretty easy to manipulate, in a flash. They just sit in my ears, ready to be used if I need them. But there always seems to be a bit of suction involved each time... that can't be good for ears. I had a doctor 10 years ago who said to let wax gather up in my ears to help me block out sound...??