New to the Wonderful World of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Keefaz, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Keefaz

Keefaz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Hello!

I've played in bands and been in music all my life. Occasionally, I'd get the post-gig ringing in the ears. A few years back I'd developed a strangle rumbling in my right ear if I brushed against it or someone shouted into it. More recently, I started to get crackly sounds at most gigs: even acoustic gigs. Again, in the right ear.

A month or so ago I was asked to join one of my favourite bands. So I jumped at the chance! It is loud, bare bones rock. 3 days ago we had a rehearsal. I'd left my earplugs at home.

The day after, there weren't really any problems. But in the evening, I was in a shop and a high pitched alarm went off. Since then I've had terrible ringing in my right ear, accompanied by a general 'muffledness' and a kind of bunged-up feeling.

Not sure what I should do now. The ringing has lessened a bit, but is still loud. I dropped a spoon onto a plate this morning and WOW!

2. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Maybe you had an acoustic trauma because of the rehearsal and the alarm.

You should see your GP or ENT and maybe go for a course of steroids.

3. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      It sounds like you've been lucky so far.
      I wouldn't be around loud sounds after this many close calls..

It only takes one loud sound after your ears have had enough to become a permanent ringing like the rest of us with acoustic trauma.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keefaz

Keefaz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Hey, guys. I went to see a GP on Friday and, tbh, he wasn't very helpful. His attitude was, "Well, you should've been more careful: you've probably ruined your hearing now". Which, while true, was of no real use. He didn't really do anything to help other than to advise I shouldn't expose myself to loud noises.

I've been wearing earplugs most of the time. The ringing is still there, a little fainter, but I'm starting to wonder if it's permanent. Bit down now: I'm a professional guitar repairer. My GF and all my friends are musicians.

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @Keefaz
      It will get better but it will take much longer than you think unless you are still in your 20's
      Count a good year or more for the nerve damage related sound sensitivity you are noticing now. Don't expose yourself to more noise give your ears a rest
      Do a course of prednisone it may help a bit early on
      Don't think diet has much to do in your particular case

• Helpful Helpful x 1