New to This... Am I Making It Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jaybeee, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Jaybeee
      Wishful

Jaybeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety?
      Hi All. I know that several years ago I became fixated on the high pitch hissing in my head. But after a few days of panic I didn't hear it anymore, except when quiet at night. I moved on. But a couple of weeks ago my ear started to feel full and I noticed a rumbling in my head. Panic set in! In a matter of a few days I saw an ENT guy and he diagnosed otosclerosis. Told me the sounds were here to stay. Tomorrow I have an appointment for a hearing aid fitting.

However, in the meantime the rumbling noise has gone, but the hissing noise was becoming more dominant again. I have been in such a terrible anxious state that I have been prescribed loads of meds and signed off work.

But in all honesty I had only been hearing the noises at night and since taking 1 x 15 mg mirtazapine the hissing in my ears is audible all day.

I have taken the odd diazepam to help me sleep but thought mirtazapine would be relatively risk free. You can imagine my horror after a really good night sleep to have worse tinnitus that I can hear all day.

My question is, do you think my anxiety is causing the loud hissing? I'm terrified about my future, I can't believe this is happening to me. I'm told I should stay away from these sites but you guys know how I'm feeling!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Jaybeee
      Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about the discomfort you are experiencing. Unfortunately, otosclerosis is not my field although I know of the condition. I mostly deal with tinnitus that was caused by loud noise, which is the common cause of it. There are a few members here that have otoscelerosis and they might be able to give you some advice.

Whoever told you to stay away from tinnitus forums I'm sorry to say, the person is right and also wrong. There are some very helpful people here that give good advice and encouragement to those that are having a difficult time with tinnitus and this can be beneficial and gives a person hope. However, there are a few that tend to spoil this at times, by spreading doom, gloom and despair and their negative outlook on life. This doesn't help anyone. My advice if you decide to stay. Try not to read too many posts that have a negative outlook on tinnitus and treatments for it.
      All the best
      Michael

• Winner Winner x 2