New to This Condition

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by hendog80, Jan 16, 2017.

1. hendog80

hendog80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Good day everyone,
      I am new to the tinnitus world and it is very disheartening that this has happened. I'm not understanding what's going on, until I get to an ENT in February. This came on out of nowhere. I was in bed a few weeks ago and my left ear starting ringing. I've had spikes, especially when I turn my head to the left, moments of silence, left ear pain, and changes in type of noises I'm hearing. I want to know how people are coping with this condition. Now that I have sleepless nights, depression is starting to step in. Any positive advice would be very helpful. Thanks again.

Hendog

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      You could try melatonin for better sleep or something stronger while you adapt to your tinnitus..
      Also keep sound on around you day and night.
      At night play natural sounds below your tinnitus through pillow speakers or free standing unit.
      Your brain will work twice as hard to pick up the lower sound and help your brains natural filter to work in not focusing on your tinnitus and over time that will help in the day also....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      While some members may respond to your post, it is best to read the many success stories to see how people are coping with T or winning the battle. They will also give you hope that you can get better over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. poppity

poppity Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi hendog80 I have just developed this condition myself IF it is to stay with me I have to find a way to cope and except live and be happy and somehow I will. There is so much hope if you read the success stories and I am hanging on to them.

5. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Hendog,

Welcome to the site.

Let's take a step back. Prior to the onset of your left ear ringing, were you in any very loud situations (ie: concert, party, fireworks, gun firing, fighting, etc.)? Have you been ill recently?

The ENT will ask you the same question, then check inside your ears, your sinuses and then give you a hearing test. If he does not offer one, ask him to give you one. This is the only way you will know if your hearing has been compromised.

Until then, don't sweat it! Tinnitus by definition is a phantom noise only you can hear; it will not kill you. Since you are new to the game, your brain has not had a chance to process the noise and come to terms with it. In other words, your mind perceives the noise as a threat which is a normal human reaction and that is why your stress and anxiety levels are up. Basically, the solution to deal with tinnitus is not to fight it... simply let it win. You let it win when you convince yourself that it cannot harm you. The clinical term for this is called "habituation".

Hopefully, the ringing will go away for you as suddenly as it intruded upon you.

Lastly, if you have yet to do so, use this board as a resource and look around. The information is vast and very informative! Good luck.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hendog80

hendog80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks MikeL1972,

No, I was not around anything loud the morning it happened. It just came on out of nowhere. No stress, good health, nothing. It's annoying in the day, but at night, it seems to come on strong until I turn off my fan and music. After that I have to concentrate to really hear it when I'm just lying in bed. Weird. I'm tired, stressed, and antiety is getting to me, I just try and stay positive. If I can just sleep at night, I think I can function a bit better during the day. Thanks a lot for your words, they are very helpful. I'm going to the ENT in a couple of days. Thanks again.