New to Tinnitus! 3 Months In...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Emily Hart, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Emily Hart

Emily Hart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 Months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated Ear Drum
      Hi All.

I’ve been reading a lot about this site for a while and I’ve decided to finally join after coming to terms with tinnitus.

It really hit me hard one day when I noticed I had it and I didn’t know what it was... (I did the worse thing and looked on the internet and I thought my life was over) but 3 months in I’m doing well, I’m still being able to carry on with normal life activity (going work, seeing friends, going cinema) the only time it really troubles me is in a silent room trying to go sleep!

I thought to myself one month in that I needed to go doctors to have it looked at only to find out I had a perforated eardrum, I thought once it got better it would heal my tinnitus but unfortunately that wasn’t the case anymore!!!

I then started getting to be scared of every day noise as reading on the internet telling me to avoid loud noise which then made me get hyperacusis but I slowly started introducing myself to everyday noise again and it’s gone!!

But after getting that I started getting a thump in my ear every time I sneezed, burped or had hiccups! Which really drove me to distraction, it was the only thing I could think about all day all night, I couldn’t understand why this was happening to me at the age of 20, I still have bad days but slowly having more good days!

My perforated eardrum is gone but my doctors didn’t help with the other complications I’ve had on the way basically told me I have to grin and bare and see how it goes along the way!

I understand I am very new to this and time is a great healer but I just feel very alone, I can’t talk to my family as they don’t understand they think I’m being over the top which isn’t the case! They will never understand what it’s like until it’s you going through it... everyday I tell myself I could be worse off and I’m grateful to have good health, a family that love me and roof over my head but some days it does get to me!

Only positive people please get back to me, I don’t want anything negative in the comments as I just want someone to speak to about this awful tinnitus!!!

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      Hey,

Sorry to hear that. How loud is yours? Its good not to ‘overprotect’ your hearing as it will make you much more sensitive to sound. I would however reccomend earplugs for cinema & clubbing (actually I would say its best to avoid all of the really loud clubs) You’re 3 months in so there’s a major chance it will get much better. You say it mostly bothers you at night (/ I’m presuming in quiet rooms) which means it will be totally possible to habituate (get used to it to the point wjere you don’t hear it). Really no need to get anxious. Give it a couple of months I’m sure you’ll feel (almost) back to normal.

If your family really doesn’t understand anything about what you’re going through you could consider having them read some articles on tinnitus/ the impact of tinnitus. There are some good ones around (on tt and the internet).

I wish you all the best! <3

Lynn

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emily Hart

Emily Hart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 Months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated Ear Drum
      Thank you for getting back to me!! Means so much to know that there’s other people going through it.
      It isn’t really loud. I can only ever hear it in quiet environments (going sleep or in a quiet room).

I’ve been thinking about getting earplugs but I don’t really know what ones to get? I very rarely go clubbing only usually go when it’s someone’s birthday or an occasion but they will be good to have when the time comes!

Xxxx

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That is one challenge with this condition: others can't possibly begin to understand what you are going through... Don't be mad at them though, they just don't have anything to compare it to, and it's invisible. Ask yourself if you'd have understood the severity of it before you had it.

What ruptured your ear drum in the first place?

Did you do a hearing test? If so, can you post your audiogram here? (blank out any personal info)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emily Hart

Emily Hart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 Months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated Ear Drum
      @GregCA I think I got a perforated ear drum by using cotton ear buds and going to far in!!!

Unfortunately I haven’t seen an ent doctor yet as my GP wants to see if it gets better before we take it any further! My hearing doesn’t feel any different... Everyday is getting better but I just have so many questions that aren’t being answered! You’re very right about would I understand it if I didn’t have it! It’s hard talking to people who don’t understand how mentally draining it can be sometimes!

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It may be worth taking a hearing test though (if possible ask for a high frequency one too, going above 8 kHz), as you could have damaged some of your hearing with the ear drum collision. It's unlikely but it's worth doing if just to put your mind at ease. Our brains are fairly good at masking the minor imperfections of our hearing, so you may "feel" no difference, but that may only be an impression.

You seem to be on a good way to recovery. Most people recover, so you stand a good chance and will most likely be fine. Good luck!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emily Hart

Emily Hart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 Months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated Ear Drum
      @GregCA yes I’ll definitely consider having a hearing test! Thank you for your help it means a lot!!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Lora

Lora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Emily Hart

Hey Emily!

Sounds like you’re doing really well considering how difficult it can be! I’m 23 and I’m the same!
      If you want to chat anytime let me know I’ll link you my instagram or whatever,

Lora xx

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emily Hart

Emily Hart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 Months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated Ear Drum
      Hi Lora,

It can be super difficult! How are you doing now? X

10. Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Hey,
      I’m 24 and also got mine from a perforated eardrum! I haven’t come across anyone who got it like us yet. Unfortunately mine hasn’t (and won’t) heal :(
      How did you perforate yours?

hope you’re doing better now xx

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emily Hart

Emily Hart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 Months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated Ear Drum
      Hi Yas!
      I’m sorry to hear this, I know the struggle and how it can effect you mentally. I have been doing a lot better, I was lucky enough to go be getting help through the NHS who have been giving me therapy which has helped a lot! I promise you bad times like this do not last, I still have tinnitus but it does not have any effect on me now and I refuse to let it effect my mental health! X

• Like Like x 1
    12. Sessilini

Sessilini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Q-tip or ETD
      Hi @Emily Hart id love to connect with you. I read somewhere you got your perforated eardrum from q-tips and so did i...at least i think.. seen several ents no one can see anything. im also experiencing hyperacusis and that thump you are describing.. i am trying to find positive people to talk to outside the forum as its making me scared to be here with negative comments. 5 months in now, my t is a mild hiss but the physical sensations are hard to ignore. trying to get used to everything! Take care kind regards Sofia