New to Tinnitus Myself... Dad Has Been Living with It for Years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gagan, May 24, 2016.

1. Gagan

Gagan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      24-May-2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi All,

I am 37 years old. My dad-65 years is living with Tinnitus for 7-8 years now. He has heavy loss in both of the years as well.

Recently I am feeling that Tinnitus is coming to me as I hear whistling sounds almost all the time. It gets louder when I am off the phone. I do not feel I am missing sounds or have loss in any of my ears..

I cant compare, but I am sure its not as bad as my Dad's tinnitus. Never been exposed to loud noises or traffic or motors etc. The work profile is indoors only on computer.

As its pretty early stage of Tinnitus, can the experts/experienced here, help me with dealing with this?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks
      Gagan

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      First would to get your ears checked and hearing test done.
      Sound therapy is good to mask tinnitus but at night it needs to be lower than your tinnitus .
      Your brain will work hard to bypass your tinnitus and pick up the sound you have chosen.
      This will help train your brain not to focus on the tinnitus and will start to help you in the day to ignore your tinnitus.

Keep posting on the main forum for round the clock support....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. wertz

wertz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tetanus shot
      Hi. probably depends on what has caused it. mine was just last week but it was after getting 2 kinds of tetanus shots because of a cat bitten me after i accidentally stepped on her, im starting to hear better now though.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gagan

Gagan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      24-May-2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Glynis and Wertz for the responses.

Not sure where to start the diagnosis. I am in Australia. Do i need to go to GP and then see ENT or do i walk into one of the audiometerist shop and request for hearing test ??

Will search the forums to see how it works in Australia.

Thanks
      Gagan