Newbie to Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by skn, Sep 14, 2015.

1. skn

skn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/06/2015
      New to T, about 6 weeks in. Actually it was frightening when it started, very loud. Now It's not a loud ring more of a hiss. And I now have days when it's very quiet. So I'm hoping this trend continues and I've had more good days than bad. I would say I have about 3-4 days a week where it is low, then the other days the volume is turned up! Not sure if anyone else experienced this during the early stages of T? My ENT told me it's hearing loss, but I believe it came from a bad sinus infection along with 2 weeks of antibiotics. I've had minor hearing loss, they didn't tell me anything new.

2. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Hi Skn,

Welcome to the forum. I am also new to T. I am 3 weeks in. Mine came from acoustic trauma following a very loud concert but fotunately, no hearing loss. Did your ENT test your hearing for sure? From what I have learned, either hearing loss , sinus infection or even the antibiotic you were on could possibly be to blame. What I have read and was told by my ENT, is that hearing loss is the major culprit in the majority of tinnitus cases. My dad has hearing loss and has been exposed to loud noise occupationally for many, many years and does not have T. I had one exposure and no hearing loss and I have T. Go figure.

It sounds like you are doing fairly well though. I hear from the veterens here on the site that the T typically settles down after onset and people tend to adjust and habituate. If it is hearing loss related, protect you ears with ear plugs when around loud noise so you will not have a set back. Mine is low and primarily noticeable in very quiet environments so I need noise to sleep. Most ambient noise of daily living drowns mine out fairly well. Thank goodness.

Best to you.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      skn

skn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/06/2015
      Thanks Forever Hopeful. I have good days and bad days, and I'm uncertain what I can contribute it to.

My ENT tested my hearing, she said I have minor hearing loss. Although I had a head injury in May which followed with a sinus infection and 24 days of antibiotic.

4. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Mine has been pretty consistent and slowly improving. I find masking helps a lot and the days I focus on other things while masked instead of trying to hear it are the days i do my best. I have done everything I can to stay busy. From what I have read things should continue to improve for the both of us. And I can tell you moving forward I will pay particular attention to the type of antibiotic I get. Some are more prone to causing tinnitus than others. I had no idea certain meds could cause tinnitus.

I hope things her better for you.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      skn

skn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/06/2015
      You too! I'm experimenting with zinc and insotil(sp?) just picked up from Whole Foods. I'm also taking b12, niacin, NAC and lipofavonoids.
      We shall see, time is what I need. Good luck to us both!

6. Riya

Riya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere disease
      Hi all

I am also pretty new, 6 weeks into it. I try and masking mine with cricket sounds during the night, and mostly avoid quiet rooms. Anyone tried ginko? Any effects? Please do share help tips! :)