Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dean Christe, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Dean Christe

Dean Christe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/07/2015
      My Tinnitus started about 5 weeks ago after a visit to the doctor for an ear infection. He suggested I get my ears syringed, which I did, worst decision I ever made. Within 24 hours I started getting this high pitched ringing in my left ear. Initially I thought this was just temporary but 5 weeks later it's still there.
      I was scared and depressed. Some days were worse than others, realised that stress would definitely make it more noticeable.
      Have seen an audiologist, psychologist and a few other gists :) which has been helpful sort of. Going to an ENT next month.
      Will read through the forum and see how everyone is coping.
      Thanks guys

2. Pumpkin
      Batty

Pumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Hi, I feel your pain. I perforated my eardrum 6 weeks ago due to a nasty ear infection and have had tinnitus since. I'm being referred to an ENT by my GP as there is still quite a lot of dried blood on my eardrum which they want to look at. All the doctors I have spoken to seem quite confident the tinnitus will subside once my ear settles but I'm beginning to lose hope. I'm not handling it very well at all if I'm honest. I have barely left the house in 2 weeks. I suppose I'm lucky as my tinnitus can be masked by most things but I'm struggling to see the bright side.

You sound like you're a bit more upbeat than me.......what's your secret?!!

3. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      Hi Pumpkin
      I'm no expert but I have had perforated eardrums. Don't get too despondent just yet until its fully healed. I had my left eardrum perforated twice from infections when I use to swim a lot and live in a tropical climate. I remember going to a doctor once and he didn't believe me because I have a small ear canal and he couldn't see any hole in the eardrum. So I proved it to him by holding my nose and playing a whistling sound through my ear. That got his attention.;)

I was sent to an ENT and it was antibiotic resistant and took 3 courses of antibiotics plus having my ear packed with some sort of dressing. Anyway I eventually recovered from both perforations with no problems and no T.
      I only have developed T now some 25 year later from huge noise exposure at one concert which caused hearing loss.

4. Pumpkin
      Batty

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Thanks for the words of encouragement Tamika. Did you have tinnitus while they were healing?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dean Christe

Dean Christe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/07/2015
      Hi Pumpkin
      I guess I was trying to be upbeat even though inside I was scared stiff. After lots of reading I have come to the conclusion that this is something I am going to have to live with for the rest of my life. Like any disability you can give up and let it ruin your life or say stuff it life is too short not to make the most of it. I will stick with this philosophy as long as I can.
      I did download an app for my iPad called "Overcoming Tinnitus " I don't think for one minute it will actually fix my Tinnitus but it does help me get to sleep. There's also a good masking app called "iSuppress" which is really good for masking your Tinnitus.
      I hope this is some help, maybe we can work through this together.
      Take care

6. Pumpkin
      Batty

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      You have such a good outlook. Keep me posted on your progress! I'm seeing an ENT in 2 weeks so hopefully will know a bit more then.

Go well!!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dean Christe

Dean Christe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/07/2015
      Hi Pumpkin
      Let me know how you go. I'm seeing ENT on the 13th of August, fingers crossed.
      How are you going?

8. Pumpkin
      Batty

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      How did it go with the ENT?