NHS at Its Best — Finally Got an Appointment for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by glynis, Oct 13, 2017.

1. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Finally got an appointment for my tinnitus, only took 11 months after getting referred to the wrong person. And now one for my nose on 7th November...

I have been under ENT for Meniere's and tinnitus a long time ago but asked now to make sure my earbones are ok and then a referral to Audiology.

I have a sinus problem causing problems with my ears and breathing so I'm going to get a good M.O.T on my ears and sinuses...

I can't knock the NHS really as have taken good care of me regarding 3 operations and regular visits every 3 months with my breathing.

Will keep you updated.

Love glynis

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Many hugs to you, Glynis. Glad you have an appointment. Did your tinnitus return to its usual level? I recall it was louder recently. Maybe due to an ear infection? Sorry, my memory is spotty so I may be wrong!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Tinker Bell ,
      Its still really loud and have had two lots of antibiotics 500mg amoxicillin 3 times a day.
      Will get ears checked next week see if the infection has gone completely.
      I just want make sure my ear bones are ok and not just put down to Menieres as had tinnitus well over 12 years .
      Love glynis

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Any change in your hearing?

It’s so difficult. We do what we can to protect from loud noises, but viruses and ear infections can do damage too. My hearing loss and tinnitus is due to a virus. We’re heading into cold and flu season here, and I’ll admit it’s giving me anxiety — which isn’t helping my tinnitus!

Keep us posted! Sending healthy and positive thoughts your way!

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I understand that very well. Last year when I prepared for (ear) surgery, I was paranoid about viruses/germs as well because the surgeon explained that he would be making a hole into my cochlea, and that there would be a window of vulnerability (maybe a few days) where bad things could get into the cochlea and wreak havoc, until the seal he made with my vein would catch on and create an impermeable membrane protecting the cochlea.

I had everyone at home wear masks, we were using hand sanitizers all the time, I was avoiding contact with people, etc... it was a bit nerve wrecking.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Tinker Bell ,
      My hearing is down and both ears were blocked a few days ago with infection.
      My sinuses are blocked with cronic rhinitis causing post nasil drip and clogging up my eustation tubes so ENT will be checking ears and nose on the 7th November....
      Love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I really hope that they can help you Glynis and that your T will lower very soon.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Hi Glynis!

Who were you referred to before, and who will you be seeing now?

Sounds like you will get a tympanogram and then an audiogram? Have you not done tympanometry before?

What does MOT mean?

I know what it's like to have problems with sinuses and not being able to breath properly. In fact I am to meet an ENT for that on Monday next week, and then have a surgery later this month.

Good luck to you Glynis!

10. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Hi Greg!

Forgive me for being nosy, but I am curious, in what month did you have the surgery? Do you think that the same applies for sinus surgery, regarding infection risk?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Samir,
      AnE refured me and got seen by ENT nurse for infection but should have been my old consultant so will now see him in November.
      My doctor thinks my Rinitus and post nasil drip is making my ears worse with re acuring ear infection so will be checking sinuses but also my ear bones to make sure nothing gets missed and put down to my Menieres.
      As a sever asthmatic its not just my lungs but nose also that reacts to allergies and leaves me struggling to breath as lungs,and nose and tubes fill up fast with mucus and lungs shrink so its really hard to breath with attalcks.
      My sinuses might need making bigger .
      So my ear bones and sinuses going be checked and audiology.
      Love glynis

12. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      In April.
      I don't think sinus surgery is the same: in my case there was an opening created into my cochlea making it vulnerable to external attacks for a window of time.
      Sinus surgery has its own risks, but getting your hair cells attacked by a virus is probably not on the short list: your cochlea stays protected throughout the procedure.