No... I Got Tinnitus, I'm Just 24, So Sad

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Michael Calbera, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting
      Hi guys, I just 24 right now with T. I would like share some story of mine(T) with you guys. My T was begun since 9 days ago. 24 October 2015, 2 days before my birthday.

I guess the problem is come after I went to have practice shooting indoor with ak-47 about 16 shoot and without earmuff or any ear protector. After I finish suddenly I lost about 70-80% my hearing, and didn't notice yet about T, after hours my hearing going well until I fall asleep.

Day 1
      When I woke up, my hearing is well but there is high ringing noise. I was very uncomfortable that day, and find about T in internet. Gathering information about T all day,when the night come I'm desperate because around is quite but T keep ringing. And what make me desperate is looking for "Tinnitus Suicidal" on google and found some scary story that make me more desperate. But fortunately i can fall asleep with T.

Day 2
      I woke up about 70-80% T as before day I felt. I felt better, but i still can hear T while I'm in front of my CCTV System. This day I believe it would be fine after several story about cases like mine, I mean temporary tinnitus. But I decide to make an appointment with ENT, because I rely it is important to know.

Day 3
      I woke up about 50-80% T as the first day I felt. ENT had check my ear not have any damage from external ear, it might be my internal ear. He told me to come after 2 weeks for audiogram, and give me some B complex (B1,B6,B12). Thanks to internet which provide me information, I buy Ginkgo biloba extract, bananas, onion, olive oil, nuts to consume everyday until now. I quite smoking, not drinking tea or coffee as internet told me. I also asking to the doctor how many percent i will recovered, he said 60% (although I know I have done some permanent damage to my ear which I didn't know how many because I can't feel but I still optimist T should be gone)

Day 4 - Day 9
      It was decreased till today and hope some miracles. Today I'm not heard T while I'm at silent outdoor condition at night, it was slight but i can't consider it is T even i know it is T. But I can hear it while I'm at my basement, and while I'm take a nap with ear next to my pillow or my bed (like closed ear).

Lesson I take:
      1. I learn so much about how precious being healthy after T happened in my live.
      2. I just get more sad suddenly about my young brother, he is 12 years old and have deaf for right ear since he was born. Now I know how does it feel if had problem with your hearing, he have concentration problem and affected with his score in school, but we assure him that he can reach his dream even with only one ear can hear properly.

My Question:
      1. Can I sleep with noise from CCTV System?, it is like your PC while you are close with or white noise which i found at youtube. I feel comfort while I sleep with it, better than no noise.
      2. Need suggestion for me or any post would make me relieve I'm not alone.
      3. How many DB AK47 in indoor room? or 16 shoot, is that much?

Thanks for reading

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. BCB

BCB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Try a hyperbolic pressure chamber. I read it may work if you do it shortly after you get it.

3. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      1) I use white noise to help me sleep, found a video of it on youtube that I like and play it through my TV. I personally feel it is a good thing to do.
      2) There are many posts that you can go through to help feel better, they are under the knowledge base heading named "Success Stories" on the home page, definitely helped me to get to where I am compared to before.
      3) A lot.

Also be protective of your hearing from now on with earplugs. Hope you feel better

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting

thank you :)

I will find it soon

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to TT, @Michael Calbera . Don't be too sad about the situation. It may be a temporary problem. You T is so new you never know it will fade or disappear over time. Even if it stays, there are ways to help you get better. you are never alone here.

For a new T sufferer, you may wonder what you can do to help your situation. I will try to offer a few suggestions:
      1. Masking to help with anxiety and step-by-step instructions from TT:

When T is new and the ringing is causing much anxiety and panic, it is advisable to get masking ASAP so you won’t be so anxious and fearful. Stress and anxiety are toxic to T. So try masking if you haven’t done so. Here is a TT thread with an audio player for many good masking sounds. It also comes with nice tips and step-by-step instructions for new sufferers . It has link to a sleep thread to help you sleep. There are also links to ATA & BTA with loads of more info. The more you understand tinnitus and how it works, the less fearful and stressful you are and which is good for T.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/panic/

If you need more masking sounds, here is free ‘aire freshener’:
        http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

Rain sounds are soothing indeed. How about making your own rain sounds with this rain generator:
        http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/rainNoiseGenerator.php

And if you need DIY notched Acoustic Coordinated Reset Neuromodulation (ACRN):

http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/acoustic-cr-neuromodulation
        http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/

2. Supplements, diet and Natural alternative products for sleep:

Members here often recommend some good supplements, such as NAC, Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3, etc., and reduce intake of salt, sugar, MSG, caffeine, alcohol etc. You may also want to help yourself to get more sleep. Sleep deprivation is one sure way to fire up T. Get some bed time masking such as a sound machine or a sound pillow etc., so you can fall asleep better. Instead of sleep meds from the doctor, you can try natural alternatives such as Camomile tea, Hops, Valerian tablets, Melatonin etc. Check out this site on using natural herbs for sleep problem:

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...alth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia/

3. Prednisone and corticosteroids:

Since your tinnitus is so new and may be related to acoustic trauma, you may want to get your doctor/ENT to prescribe a course of prednisone or other corticosteroids. Members here often recommend new T patients to get this treatment as soon as possible. Here is a discussion thread on this treatment:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads...dexamethasone-others-oral-and-injections.348/

4. Read Success Stories:

Try to read as many success stories as you can. They can help lift your spirit and reduce your anxiety. They also contain insights and wisdom from those who have gotten better. I was in a mess a few years back afflicted with ultra high pitched dog whistle T and severe hyperacusis which turned all normal sounds unbearably loud and piercingly hurtful. I also had relentless anxiety and panic attacks. I never thought I could recover and have a good life again. But here I am living a normal and absolutely enjoyable life. I list some pointers which have helped me greatly. If you wish to read it, here is the link:
        https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

You may want also to read the most read success story ‘Back to Silence’ with a simple effective strategy by IWLM:
        https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

There are a lot of things you can learn from TT to help you get better. Don't panic and don't despair. There is a high probability that you will be just fine. Just believe it. In the mean time protect your ears from loud noises such as the gun range. It is just prudent. Take good care & God bless.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting
      billie, I take 25mg prednisol today. My T begun since 3 weeks ago, do you have any advice how many days/weeks I need consume this med? need advice

7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting
      Just 2 day take Prednisol 25mg, my T seems be covered in quite room or at bed. hmm quite interesting.
      I had read that thread, I'll continue until next week. So far I'm not feel any side effect yet, just a mood swing~

9. yvette

yvette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-9-2014
      Haii, so sad for you that you got this. It's a hard thing to accept. My name is yvette i'm from Holland so sorry if I write things wrong. I am 20 years now and I got tinnitus sinds 08-09-2014. Back then I was Just 19. I have it Because of a car crash and that I have a whiplash. Some Day you Will accept it and you can handle it better thanks you can do now. Today I started my theraphy for it and hope it will help Just a little bit so I can sleep everynight more than 2 hours. They gave me a tip to buy a pillow speaker. Because when I listen to music I don't hear it that much maybe it will help.

I wish you all the best and hope for you it will go away some Day

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting
      thank you yvette you most welcome :) we have a same thing, you are not alone. Interesting, is your pillow speaker have an alarm also?

11. yvette

yvette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-9-2014
      Yeah it's nice to talk to People Who have the samen thing, and it feels good to now that I am not the only one on this age that haves this, the People in The group off the theraphy where al 50+ so you feel me haha.

I don't know tommorow after work I go look for one, if I buy it on the Internet I Will pay 8 euro more for delivery. That is al lot for here in Holland. So if I found one I Let you know!

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting

sure yvette, could you please post it photo also? I think you should buy pillow with timer because it will annoy your ear if u heard it all time.

13. yvette

yvette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-9-2014
      Music never bothers me I grow op with neibours Who always had music on loud til the morning. Bit I didn't really have doen recheargs at the moment. But if I know more I lett you know also with pictures

14. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Same thing here got the worst tinnitus and hearing loss since firing many guns and rifles including the ak47 - not the loudest but a nice recoil nevertheless.
      I was wearing ear protection and still got issues I guess my ears were already quite damaged from decades of noisy clubs since the 1980's , shooting guns , military service and later driving loud cars not to mention all the girls screeming in my bed - right after the noisy clubs

Back then people didn't meet over the Internet or apps - but the internet is a savior when we have issues like that I fully appreciate that

Back to your issue :
      The steroids help, antioxidant help - see my post on hydrogen - and time will help too I'm confident you will recover most.

What I do for sleeping is just use one of the many iPhone apps that can generate white noise, put it at the lowest sound setting and that works .. In the morning the T is a lot less Loud than a night without the white noise so that may help in terms of brain rewiring and such
      Make sure you carry good quality earplugs in you pockets at all time - it's really crucial that you preserve what you can for the rest of your life

• Like Like x 1
    15. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      oh and you need a good potassium ion channel opener - try Minoxidil, I am just done applying a large dose on my head and to my surprise the high pitch dog whistle, mettallic sound is mostly gone two hours later like someone else posted here..
      Again there are some solid scientific studie wiht these potassium channels opener linking tinnitus but that product is safe, readily available so don’t wait

16. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So Michael it's been over a month - did you recover ?
      Any improvements ?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting
      Oh thanks Bobby,
      So about corticostreoid. Mine same like others, T comes back mild. Was 30% before steroids, 10% during take steroids (1 week) and 20% now without steroid at all. It mean there is an improvement. I don't know to continue or not, any suggestion?

Potassium? can I get it from bananas also? potassium ion channel opener, so I just asking to pharmacy for Minoxidil?

Glad to hear your T improved, any story T gone at all?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting
      Right Bobby, T less noticed in the morning than night before sleep.. seems we have some similarities for the causes of T, but not "girls screaming in bed" piece, wish it happened soon.
      I didn't use any white noise generate, because PC sound (an electronic sounds produced by PC) in my room seems enough to kill T ringing and daily activity, T is not noticeable. I take sleep position which not cover my ear. And about white noise, should I take? since I ever read that "white noise help to led your brain forget about T noise for long term use", in my perception that words would say that white noise is active to train your brain. How about my PC sound then? Don't know it white or brown, pink since I felt comfort with. So again, should I take?

19. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i would concentrate on restoring some of your hearing - it could be possible as the loss is recent, once you get it back then T will fade. Don't worry about the T yet..it will go up and down based on various factors and even reacts to some sounds...the hearing is more important, note how you hear high pitched sounds etc.. and how the sounds change day by day, birds etc..
      this is what I do to restore my hearing
      -minoxidil (on head - I don't drink the whole bottle !) 3 times a day large dosages, massage it hard.
      -anti oxidant Hydrogen (NAC works too)
      -L- Carnitine 1000mg a day or more
      -vitamin b12
      -another drug that thins the blood given by my doc (minox is a blood thinner also)
      -no loud sound!
      -no zero sound either. I put my rain app on the Iphone at very low volume at night to rehab my ears to high frequencies.
      here is a good example for a PC one
      Rain sound (10 hours)

20. donico
      Creative

donico Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

21. donico
      Creative

donico Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For how long would you recommend this regime?

22. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's hard to make any recommendation as i just started but one or two months or at at least until your happy with the results

lcarnitine may increase arterial blockage of cholestreol at high doses so watch the food - no cholestreol raising food like processed meats, trans fats, salts , animal fats and dairy etc..

Minox has some side effects too so don't go over board - anti coagulant , low blood pressure , fluid imbalance , heart pounding hard etc...

I guess the key is to start ASAP because once the cells and nerves have been dying for some time it's going to be hard to be revived.

This really only applies to recent hearing loss due to a one off acoustic trauma - gun shot, one loud concert/club etc

Minox acts on 3 levels that have been crossed linked in hearing loss /accustic trauma studies ( you can search the studies ) as factors to protect the ear - but of course we don't know at what dosage exactly

- ion channel opener
      - promotes VEGF
      - opens adenosine channels

I got a noticeable boost in high level frequencies hearing after taking the l-Carnitine - today I can finally hear the birds and high pitched voices clearly but minox made the pitch of the t change to a higher note each time I used it and so did the anti antioxidant so this is a good combo

And of course predsinone right at first - my doc said that steroids only work for the first 4 weeks after the trauma .. I was 2 weeks in already and I took a one week course.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting
      Bobby, thank you for care.. I take Minox and the others, I feel dizzy today on my head until now since I apply Minox and did massage to my head, I know it side effect.

Btw I didn't know I got hearing lost or not since my doc said I not severe hearing lost after he did a simple test (like he is whispering in a room and he is about 5 meters away from me, and I past it). So he said my hearing is normal or lost a very little db.

Following your suggestion, from my 1 month and 10 days T, here is medication and supplement I take so far a day:
      - Tribion (B complex, B12)
      - Gincata (Ginko Biloba, 1 tab)
      - Fish Oil 550mg (1 tab)
      - L carnitine 500mg (1 tab), should I take 2 tab?
      - Zinc 50 mg
      - Minoxidil (1 times 12x spray on my hair)

What I avoid:
      - Loud noise
      - Cover silent with another friendly sounds
      - Less stress much fun
      - Low fat dietary
      - Sleep well
      - Food which can stimulate my nerve (coffee, alcohol)

Well mine had been 1 month so far, not like some similar stories (shooting) which gone after week or 2 weeks on their first time shooting/gigs stories. Maybe because mine come from indoor shooting room, but I do not bother anymore, I'm focusing on my medication and life.

24. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after reading some more stories turns out that a safe targeted channel ion opener for the ones in tinntues is an epilepsy drug called
      levetiracetam (brand Kappra) so I am getting some next week. I don't think the minox isn't doing anything more at this stage and my T reacts to noise especially high pitched noise - its very tiring.
      two persons got some improvementsd so its worth a try as the side effects aren't too heavy

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting
      plus it increase hair growth. isn't?

26. Tyler Horn

Tyler Horn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/4/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting
      Man, my dad has t not me. I made this account to help my dad. I'm glad to see someone else has got tinnitus from shooting guns. That's how my dad got it. He is struggling and looking a little older. But over time he got used to it. Be positive man and don't worry, just relax. Since my dad got so much better, without asking me or my mom he went shooting again... this makes his t go really loud. So DONT go shooting again for awhile or ever again as this worsens the t and it can become louder. Hope you get better soon

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did he use ear protection ?

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting
      no sadly.. too late

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting
      sorry for your father. Hope it not permanent, mine has 5 months and I learn to be habituated.. Now even I'm in deep silent situation, while I'm on my bed for the example I do not miss how quite my live was not like first month.

Some day good, some day bad. Stress make you bad, don't stress :)

*sometimes I'm paranoid to crowded. It's too crowd..