No Reversing It Is There?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dubbyaman, Feb 13, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Once tinnitus is triggered and the neurons start misfiring all over, theres no way they can go back to the way they were is there?

2. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Plenty of people recover, or even if they don't, they habituate. Everybody in the world of a certain age will have had temporary T for perhaps a few hours or even a few days, this shows it can recover.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      your neurons get rearranged in interesting ways every day...

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I've been thinking about this, for people that recover from T I wonder if silence is ever the same or if they will always seek out the noise but then again it depends on how long they've been exposed to T and how badly it affected them.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Are the neurons changed after sleep?

6. Paul201
      Worried

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      Im also wondering do most people actually hear "silence" at all. Im thinking back to when I was lets say pre t, Im sure I remember waking up a few mornings and thinking there is a very slight ring in my ears and then just completely forgetting about it. I've asked family members with no t to plug their ears and nearly all report some noises, but these noises are all ignored by the brain, until they reach a certain volume, then you have t. Its possible only younger adults and kids really and people who have no noise exposure really of any significance who have no t whatsoever. Also ive read the brain and hearing areas are quite noisy and electrical in nature but completely ignored by the brain, luckily

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Well, lots of studies have shown that "silence" is a myth and that anyone who tries hard enough is going to start hearing some regular noises from the nervous system functioning.

So, if tinnitus is the thing which initially causes you to "start looking", then yes, that is hard to unwind -- look at the reports on here from people who "got" tinnitus by reading about it and then started noticing sounds they'd already been hearing and ignoring for years...

Perception creates reality. There's not anything mystical about that statement. The thing we call "reality" is just a best guess that we agree on based on our sensory input and experience.

• Like Like x 2
    8. CarolinaGuy
      Wishful

CarolinaGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely ototoxicity
      It is indeed true that our perception of what is dangerous or bothersome has an enormous effect on us.
      I have a "floater" in my left eye, like lots of other people. It happened years ago when I had a cold and I first noticed this little speck in my field of vision. I can see it in bright light, but for years it has not bugged me.
      Since the onset of my tinnitus, I notice that I am being more bothered by the floater too, because now I am on edge about every little thing that happens to my body and worrying that something is going to get worse.

• Like Like x 1
    9. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I have to take a different view ,ive done a lot of chi kung and at one time I could do this meditation with movement stuff with no noise around or in me total silence no phantom/mervous system noises at all...what would we all give to get that back?????

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      In complete silence, even people with perfect hearing and no tinnitus hear 'phantom noises'. Once your ears interpret sound again, the noises stop. There is a video on the BTA's website where Dr Roland Schaette talks about this. It's also why when I was younger (teens) pre-tinnitus, I definitely had a weird hissing noise in my head when I was trying to sleep or in an extremely quiet room. As soon as I started doing something or talking, or even just shaking my head the noise was completely gone and I would forget about it till the next time. I would happily go back to that for the rest of my life ;)

• Like Like x 2
    11. Paul201
      Worried

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      @AlecP yes life is full of those, I was happy back then, but I didn't even realise it. Now t came along and overshadows all those previous problems, which are mostly still there, but faded into the background, just like we all wish t would :p

I'll bet you would just love to have that hissing noise back, there would certainly be no problems sleeping with a little hiss etc

12. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      @Paul201 yea I remember too, waking up to a slight ring before T but then again sometimes waking up to complete silence. Today has been good but it did start once again in my R ear this evening so :/ and agreed I think there is noise but maybe our brains are so use to it that it just blends in with silence. For those that have habituated how long did it take for your T to finally blend in to the background to the point where you just don't notice it and or hear it?

@linearb *nods* agreed.

But I don't know I think once you're exposed to T for more than a couple of days, that when and if it goes away silence just won't be the same.

13. Paul201
      Worried

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      @Fiore it would sure be nice to wake up to silence and not have any noises until the evening, it would be a bit like an unwanted caller to the door about 6 or so that u know will soon be back out the door again :p But u are right to be worried, mild t can unfortunately easily it seems jump to a new level

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Sure; experience changes neurology. Being in a few serious car accidents has forever changed the way I experience the concept of safety while traveling in cars.

• Agree Agree x 1