No Tinnitus in the Morning?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Samir, May 13, 2017.

1. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Has anyone here experienced like you don't have tinnitus in the morning?

I am not sure what to make of it. But for the past two days, I have felt like my tinnitus is completely gone in the morning! :eek:

As I start to wake up, I cannot perceive it. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It's so weird, it's as if it fades in and out with my sleep cycles or consciousness. I think my tinnitus is so called "central tinnitus", i.e. it's perceived as if it's in the brain rather than the ears. I am still able to perceive it though, and usually, as I get up and go on with my day I start noticing it more.

Maybe I am starting to recover from it... maybe, although that's probably just wishful thinking. :( I think I have had it for too long now for that to happen.

I am just curious if anyone has had the same experience?

This is so weird... I wish someone would be interested enough to call me into their lab and study my brain during sleep and wake hours. How could this be explained?

2. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Hehe be happy mine is the other way around, loud in the morning, more silent in the evening. But good sleep is always great for the Tinnitus ..

3. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      I have it the exact same way.

Also, In the morning when I slumber in and out of sleep or near sleep it will fade away. Sometimes, very rear, I believe if this slumber in the morning is done in a special pattern. Especially if I wake up early and sleep for another 2-3 hours my T will be gone all day. Experienced that yesterday and Im stupid enough to believe Im finally cured every time and finding excuses/reasons for my sudden recovery.
      After a night of sleep its back to normal torture routine, where all I can think about is killing myself.

So fucking diabolical this condition.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Not exactly, but my tinnitus loudness is pretty much always lower in the morning.
      Always an increase soon after eating. Breakfast lunch or evening meal.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Do you ever experience like it is completely gone? Maybe for a few seconds?

Does it feel like it's in your ears or in the brain?

Exactly the same thing happens to me!

Please don't even joke about that. You are stronger than this! I know I have felt several times like my life is over. But then I decided to fight it, for as long as I can. I have had dark thoughts myself, and I believe many of us have. The beginning is most difficult.

I talked to a woman in her 50s, a relative of mine. I told her about my recent ailment. She said she has the ringing too. I had no idea. I'm not sure how severe hers is. She has been to psychologists for anxiety and depression on and off for a few years now. I think it started when she lost her job.

She is probably unaware that those things may be related to her hearing disorder. Who is, anyway? The connection between mental health and hearing disorders is not well known even among the professionals. That's the impression I get when I read articles, talk to people and meet with doctors. Why I suspect she is unaware is because she always blamed it on external factors.

This just shows how little people know about tinnitus, and how little they talk about it. I suspect that the number of people with tinnitus is even bigger than what they say it is.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Interesting... it seems that most of us perceive it less in the mornings. Why is that? What could it mean? How is sleep related to it? I hope we will get the answers to these questions soon. But I think this is an important lead that should be investigated.

Hmmm... I wonder why. Something about eating is upsetting your tinnitus.

Does your tinnitus change when you chew or yawn?

I first started experiencing like it's fading in and out as I chew my food. Every time I chew it would go like "zzzzz..." or similar. I stopped eating and I stopped hearing that. Same thing when yawning really hard with mouth wide open.

But then this noise became more of a constant companion in my life, and now I hear it almost all the time. Chewing and yawning doesn't change it much anymore. It's mostly yawning now that changes it. By change I mean I hear it more, as if it increases in volume.

I think I have had further degeneration... maybe synaptopathy.

7. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rest? In the morning we supposed to be rested. In the evening often we are not. Not only physically, but also mentally.
      Someone on TT suggested sugar level in blood. That I think was a good suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Mettafort
      Sunshine

Mettafort Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 8th, 2017 (a few days after)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vertigo->48 hours->Deaf in left Ear->Tinnitus
      This is an interesting point. The variability of individual triggers is as large as the causes of tinnitus it seems, yet out of the population of tinnitus crusaders, some may well have diet as a means to control the T.

In the morning the body is in a fasted state (assuming one didnt take Ambien and then raid the fridge in the middle of the night :woot:), which as a result typically means the body is in ketosis and heres little insulin in the blood stream. Ironically cortisol levels are high first thing, partly due to the fasted state, so eating first thing is not a good thing to do if you dont want an insulin spike.

All that to say, if in the morning the T is lower due to the MANY positive benefits of fasting, I wonder what the results would be with an actual regime of intermittent fasting. As soon as I am off my steroids (currently tapering) I intend to test this theory out. However in the past week my T is actually pretty high first thing, which is new - I was definitely waking up with it down at a 1 or 2 initially.

mf

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You had it for less than 6 months. That's not that long. The fact that it is improving is a very good sign.

10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Samir,
      Mine is really loud all the time and to wake up to it is tough but its blasting hellsbells at the moment.
      It's got to settle soon .
      Love glynis

• Hug Hug x 4
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      That is true, rest is good for our physical and mental well being. But also, in my case, I feel like there is more to it than just rest alone.

Sometimes, even though I feel rested (as rested as one can be with this condition), I can feel it fading in and out as I doze off back into sleep. I usually don't jump up out of bed right away, I like to press the Snooze button on my alarm clock and catch some more ZzzZzz...

As I switch between these states of being awake and asleep I can sense that the tinnitus fades away. I think it's mostly noticeable as I fall deeper and deeper into sleep. As I wake up again, I can feel it coming back again. But for a few seconds there, I can be awake/conscious and not have any of it. Most noticeable the last two days. But as I get up, go to the bathroom to fresh up, go to the kitchen to have my morning coffee, I can feel it building up slowly.

Maybe the solution is to never wake up? :p Sleep for the rest of your life, or until they have a cure.

By the way, I am not a heavy coffee drinker, I only drink one cup in the morning. :coffee: I used to have two, one in the morning and one in the evening. Now I have cut it down to only one. I have done so for other reasons, not because of tinnitus. I don't think coffee affects it much, but I am willing to try. I will try cutting out coffee completely for a few weeks.

So eat less and sleep more? Is that it? :) I don't know... I am willing to experiment. Ramadan is coming up, so I will tell you if it works for me.

Yes, but it started slowly before that. That's when it increased and became more obvious. I decided to go with that date as a starting point. I have had it when yawning or chewing for about 1 year.

It starts blasting as soon as you wake up? That must be very difficult. :( Hang in there Glynis!

12. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Blood work for diabetes was part of ENT's work up. Apparently uncontrolled blood sugar can cause microvascular damage. This may pertain more to nerve issues however than T. My blood sugar was fine so not the cause.

I can be woken up by the T several times sometimes. Not sure if it actually wakes me up but I wake up several times and it is there. There when I go to sleep too.

13. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I experience the same @Samir does. When you are "switching" between falling back to sleep and waking up again I can hear my tinnitus come and go accordingly.
      Therefore I do not think tinnitus wakes me up, but something else did and the first thing that I am conscious about is my tinnitus.
      I think the tinnitus sensation is not part of the unconscious/sleep.
      Could it be that there is more commonality that is just not yet recognised?
      One common denominator seems to be noise induced tinnitus. I don't know any percentage, but the wide majority of tinnitus is damage in the inner ear/nerves/brain after noise. (Often not recognised. The hidden hearing loss).
      Even with something so complex as tinnitus you can expect effects of this damage to be the same in many people (within a certain range).

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      That's good news though, Samir!

Although mine never goes away completely it's usually at its lowest in the morning, with a few exceptions. (If I slept few hours or poorly).

This whole sleep + tinnitus thing is quite confusing. I'm one of those who get louder tinnitus after daytime napping. Other members here have said the same thing. I don't know what to make of this either.

15. Mettafort
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, you raise a very good point. Noise induced T is more common, even more so today ever I read due to modern technology. So yes, I agree on this.

16. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      I've had T for 9 years. It is always worse upon waking for me. It could be after a full nights sleep, an hour nap or just after a 10 minute cat-nap. Its always louder upon opening my eyes. Once I get up & move around, it subsides. Completely opposite of most that wrote here. So perplexing.

17. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      Yeah I have the opposite, loud in the morning and barely perceivable, almost gone, in the evening.

18. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I presume stress and anxiety play a role. The "fear" of it increasing inevitably leads to it increasing. Very complex systems we have.

19. Dr. Jay Hobbs
      Studious

Dr. Jay Hobbs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Blessed to not have...often
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NA
      This is a common issue. For MOST, I find that the tinnitus is WORSE upon waking. Of course, part of that seems to be that everything is perfectly quiet, but there is certainly more to it than that.
      • For those who notice MORE tinnitus after sleep, there is usually one of two causes:
      • Some notice LESS tinnitus in the morning:
      For those with LESS, I would refer to the same causes, and solutions, and find ways to capitalize on that REDUCTION of the Postural stress or Mental Stress response throughout the day.

@Mettafort , I'm certainly open to the idea of blood sugar being related. Without question, diet, in general, and blood sugar specifically, are related to neuron health. I find that these are critical to LONG-TERM recovery. In my research, those that had a "Healthy Brain Lifestyle" (which included a good diet) were more likely to respond well to the Auditory Discrimination Training therapy.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Mettafort
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey @Dr. Jay Hobbs ,

I am no expert for sure, but I do know first-hand what intermittent fasting and then later, a strict ketogenic diet, did for my health and well-being. I am still tapering my 'roids, so I havent been able to effect any strategy with respect to fasting, though I am on a keto-diet right now. With the steroids still in my system, it feels like it is difficult to make a statement one way or the other at this point. As I have tapered, I feel my overall tinnitus has gotten louder, even though I am eating a ket0-diet. That said, yesterday and this morning I again woke up to a much quieter T than previous days first thing. However I would also admit that my tinnitus can start at around a 1 or 2 out of 10, and I immediately shower and get ready for the day first thing, and by the time I get downstairs I am already up at 5-6, sometimes 8 or 9, still in the fasted state. That said, I definitely intend to be quite scientific with these eating approaches once I am fully off the steroids and I can baseline.

I am not sleeping well right now either, so that might well affect how the T unfolds from T-0 after the alarm goes off.

Its definitely an interesting domain.

mf

• Like Like x 1
    21. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      The reason it is more quiet in the morning is that you have not been exposed to noise during the night while sleeping.

22. Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Mine is the opposite. The quieter the environment, the more my T ramps up. This includes waking up with high T. As my ears absorb more sound, the high pitch goes away and turns to a low hum which I can totally live with. It's as if general noise does the same thing as listening to static which results in lower T for most. Someone suggested to always keep the ear busy if you have T and this seems to be the best solution for me. I do is by going to sleep with nature sounds and I listen to "tinnitus cure" sounds from YouTube for a few hours a day while working. The one that works the best for me is this:
      9 Hours Extremely Powerful Tinnitus Sound...

As long as I keep my ears busy, my T is just a low hum.

23. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I'm the same. When I wake up I can hardly hear my tinnitus as if it's completely gone but after a few minutes of waking up it comes back and it's almost like your brain has woken up if that makes sense, but once it has, bam there's your tinnitus.

I struggle to go to sleep but once I'm asleep I have no trouble staying asleep.