Noise-Cancelling Headphones / Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Support' started by Parfait, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Parfait

Parfait Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi. This is my first post. I got what I would class as severe tinnitus from being seated in a restaurant around 50cm from a loudspeaker (25.11.16- that date will be etched in my mind forever, almost as if it is already on my tombstone). The band was also seated directly behind me, 20 piece brass band. Anyway my tinnitus in my right ear has devastated me.

I am 41 and trying to process the likely odds that this will be with me forever. I say it is severe as it can be heard above everything. It is unmaskable and v loud 24/7. I digress... what I want to know is about something that can reduce external sounds. My ear cannot stands loud noises and with 4 kids I've had to use ear muffs in the home on occasion. That's fine (but for the fact the earmuffs make the t scream). However the earmuffs are sore on and so tight. Once they trapped a nerve in my face (the sensation went away a few minutes after taking them off).

Would noise cancelling headphones help? Or the bespoke ear plugs? Also I've got hearing loss since. Would it help to get the hearing aids with white noise? Thanks for any replies.

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Get better ear muffs
      Try the Peltor x5a
      Much better than anything else

3. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      How long were you seated beside the speaker??

What does your hearing test show??

Sounds like you also have hyperacusis, kids screaming, traffic, screeching brakes sound so loud. I had this for 6 months after I was exposed too a powerful alarm 29/5/16 (I know what you mean about the date being engraved in your mind)
      Hyperacusis does improve over time but you need too protect your ears for a few months or more. The 3M x5a is a good choice.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Parfait

Parfait Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks. I'll check out those options. I haven't had my hearing tested yet but it's duller in my left ear, the one angled towards the speaker. It was about 1.5 hr exposure. Breaks my heart. That was bad luck too aboutvthw alarm. Sounds like it might have been a similar db. Hope the h improves like yours has.

5. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      The alarm was around 120db but it's also the pitch. I'm amazed I can hear at all after that and my hearing is still pretty good. I was in front of it for a few minutes.
      Yup heart breaking and cannot forgive myself at all :(

Wa anyone else you were sitting with affected??

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Parfait

Parfait Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      There was a table of 10 woman and nobody else was affected. I felt it was too loud but felt it was rude to leave. The regret I have about that is more than catastrophic. Thank you Jason.

7. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      If it was that loud, you couldn't even a conversation! I would asked for a table away from the speakers. I have tried to protect my hearing for years before I got tinnitus. It's been permanent for the last seven years, but 28 years ago, I can remember ushering for a concert. The speakers were taller than me and my station was right in front of them. I brought my earplugs. Now I would go for the noise canceling muffs too!