Noise-Induced Tinnitus with Slight Hearing Loss, Can It Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lakadema, Jun 10, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Lakadema
      Gloomy

Lakadema Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29-5-2015
      I know that this topic is a recurrent one and asked many many times, it may sound annoying to some ppl (i apologize) but I really need to ask this, as this is chewing my life..

It all started 2 weeks ago, after I listened to a really REALLY loud song for 2 hours straight, all my life ive been listening to music with earplugs, never gotten anything. Right after i finish i went to bed, noticed a mosquito like buzzing which I ignored.

Next day it was gone, i (stupidly) continued hearing music with earplugs tho I did lower ver volume to half or so, thing is that next day I started hearing the classic high sound pitch ¨eeeeeee¨ which is haunting me till now, I tried taking ginko biloba and Betahistine (doc rec) with no effect, in fact..i noticed that the screech is worse than 1 week ago , dunno if its because im obssesed with it or if it really became a lot louder, since enviromental sounds can still mask it (like a hot shower sound).

I do have a slight hearing loss in my left ear, but my ringin is very prominent on my right year, no acoustic neuroma neither and im 120% sure its noise induced because it started right off after this sound incident and i suspect that my hearing loss comes from all those years wearing ear plugs and not only for that loud music incident.

The million dollar question here, is anyone here with noise induced trauma that went through a spikey period and finally tuned down or went away? how long..was that period? Did it get progressively worse?

Also i notice that when im half asleep during morning (about to wake up) I hear an extra mosquit buzzing (the same one i heard the first time, but as soon as i fully wake up, its gone and im back with the single high pitch ¨eeeee¨ scream.

really need some hope or people post their experience since im now afraid, hopeless, stresssed and on verge of a nerve collapse...

thansk a lot.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Tibberz
      Supportive

Tibberz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      5 9mm Gunshots
      The first month was the absolute worst. The volume of the ring should subside with time, I just started my 2nd month with my T and faring 75% better than the first month (Suicidal, couldn't eat, hard to mask). Today T is still annoying me but its reaching a volume where I just need to play a video game, or watch a tv show, or listen to music and I can't hardly hear it if at all (but the moment I think about T its back, although nowhere near as intense as it was last month). I have noticed very subtle weekly changes for the better. Hopefully it keeps up. Best thing to do is to do your best to ignore it and the brain/body will do the rest on its own.

• Like Like x 3
    3. Lakadema
      Gloomy

Lakadema Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29-5-2015
      Thanks Tib!
      Did it actually went down or you just got habituated? the thing is that i dont really know if it really went loud or its just me being paranoid, I definitely hear it way more and at a much disturbing volume but the same volume of white noise (like taking a shower or brushing my teeth) still mask them..but at the same time, i can start hearing the screech when i walk down a road (i didnt during the first week).

Im so confused and scared right now..

What i really need now is to read or to know ppl with similar incident that lowered a lot the noise, or (hopefully) nearly went away.

I tried joining a T fb group but everyone there is a big sufferer, no success stories, nothing..talking there actually gaved me a depression attack..

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Tibberz
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      5 9mm Gunshots
      My volume definitely went down(I think its still going down). If it didnt I would be having constant panic attacks and suicidal thoughts. I was breaking down at work it was so loud (which is pretty awkward but I managed to avoid running into other people during my moments). Although I am perceiving the volume lowering, all it takes is me to "focus" on it with my mind and that will make the volume seem to skyrocket (not as bad as onset but I get a little nervous, start to panic) until I get preoccupied with something else again. Randomly spikes which are very annoying but they usually die down after a while to manageable levels. Could be getting better, or it might be habituation. I dont know. Im just happy it got better than what it was.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Lakadema
      Gloomy

Lakadema Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29-5-2015
      Thanksk tib!

i was so distressed yesterday that i dindt realize that i posted this in the pulsative tinnitus support section lol..

Anyways, today my T went for even worse.. (like how worse can it get?) just clenching my teeths here and see if it improves.

6. Tibberz
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      5 9mm Gunshots
      Try your best to keep your mind occupied. The more into an activity you can get your brain into the less you will focus on the Tinnitus. Worse thing to do is to try and wait it out and do nothing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Uniqdzign
      Musical

Uniqdzign Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1973
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Playing instruments too loudly.
      Hi Lakadema, as a long suffering musician with T, I'm assuming you mean earphones that go into your ears when listening to iPod or similar? Earplugs is usually the term used to defend the ears from loud external noises.
      In which case if it's the first, then there can be many triggers for the onset of tinnitus. Certainly one of the most obvious ones from your description is the volume - length of time that the ears are subjected to that volume and the repeatedness too.
      I used to find that after playing loud gigs the T would be there but after a few days it would subside. Then as the years progressed it took longer and eventually - and we're only talking aged 35 - it stayed put!
      Certainly there seem to be people - I have many musician friends - without T despite the loud volume that they play at.
      I read recently that - apart from certain foods and illnesses which increase the problem - that placing earplugs into the ears to defend them, can actually make them more sensitive, as when you remove them the external noise is much louder and the ears are less likely to adjust. Having said that, my personal experience is that as you get older the problem gets worse and when deafness sets in you're done!
      I would certainly have taken more care to reduce the volume that I both listened to music and played when younger, if I had known that - for me/as I guess that I'm more susceptible to volume - I would have turned it down!
      Hope that helps.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Lakadema
      Gloomy

Lakadema Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29-5-2015
      @Uniqdzign

yea, earphones. Ipod Earphones specifically..i would never listenened music like that if i knew the consequences..

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. r_ve

r_ve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      New Years Eve
      Hey Lakadema,

first of all, yes, noise induced tinnitus CAN and WILL go away in most of the cases. Just protect your ears from now on, always, dont listen to loud music over headphones (Ive stopped listening to music over headphones almost completely) and try to always mask it. Ive got noise induced tinnitus from a loud party 5.5 months ago and it hasnt subsided but thats probably because I was listening out for it daily and I kept thinking about it, till today. So its very important to always try and mask your T with background noise, like quiet music or white noise (youtube). So you can forget about your tinnitus if you dont get remembered about it every time.

Plus, I have a friend who says he got tinnitus because he fell asleep on loud boxes and it took months to finally go away, but it did go away.

Heres a little post I found in the forums months ago and I think its really great for giving you motivation. Good luck!

• Like Like x 3
    10. kostas

kostas Member

thank you r_ve.

11. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Hi, I got T from a loud concert on April 24 this year. I hope your right when you that in most cases it will go away!

Lakadema I know what your going through . The first couple of weeks were the worst two weeks of my life. Couldn't work. suicidal. Chest caving in and shaking. I still have it but I'm doing much better. I barely hear it during the day. You get used to it and then you don't hear it as much. I do need to sleep with white noise still. But I'm starting to feel like my old self. Hang in there you WILL get better.

12. bellringer

bellringer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      trauma
      I am going on four weeks tonight from a loud concert with minor high freq loss in my left ear. I have been on prednisone afterward and I never thought it would get worse, but it did. In the beginning my doctor had me on Valium which I stopped more than a week ago in preparation for going on am-101 study. I have been taking occasional ativan, but I stopped that too in preparation for my study screening next week.

One thing I am finding that might really be making me worse is ibuprofen. On three separate occasions I took ibuprofen during times of high work stress. The first time I took my usual three pill dose (I am a big guy at 240 lbs, well I am now 225 lbs from the stress) and it calmed it down for the first 30 minutes, then the sound went through the roof for a day. I did not see the connection so I took one pill this Tuesday, and my T went down for about 30 minutes again, before cranking up again for a day. Stupid me, finally figured it out yesterday when I took two more pills after stress, loudness went down for 30 minutes, before cranking up for what is now 20 hours. NEVER AGAIN.

Last night I avoided taking ambien for the first time in a few days, settling for melatonin and it worked almost as well. Although I am ringing super loud (probably from the ibuprofen) this morning I am feeling pretty good.

Like many of you I thought of checking out of this world. Last week my doctor gave me ativan and told me it doesn't have to be so bad. The ativan showed me I could go on. Even though I am off of it, I know there is a bandaid solution if I need that and just knowing that has brought me off the cliff.

One more positive thing I hang onto is my tone changes every day. Sometimes it is squeals, sometimes it sounds like a room full of crickets, sometimes it sounds like I am standing under power lines. They are all annoying, but I think different is a good sign that is ever changing. Unfortunately, from a scale of 1-10 I seem to be stuck on a 7. Mornings are often a 4, but escalate to 7, or after ibuprofen a 9.

13. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      For me MUSIC is the ultimate healer of all problems and tinnitus ( but on low volume of course ) :p

14. barbara r.
      Balanced

barbara r. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      prolonged loud noise
      Ive had noise-induced t for 5 yrs, that worsened past 6 months after flu. Sl hearing loss. For 3 wks, ive had widex hearing aids, with 3 masking music settings. Today went to first class, at my ent clinic, for this. The dr teaching was great, more like a support group. One of the most important things is knowing how common t is. I had no idea. For better or worse, this t is a part of me for now. Soft music, masking, patience, and distracting your brain- key coping skills. Not fun, but could be worse. I think i like the h. a.s. they are digitalized, 2 tiny computers in my ears, according to the dr. Im still adjusting to them. I have a wire I wear around my neck, to plug into phone, mp3, etc. Sound goes right into my ears via invisible h.a. its cool. I do take a med for anxiety, which helps a lot.
      the good news is that there are ways to deal with it, and it will likely improve or fade. I wish you well on your journey.

15. r_ve

r_ve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      New Years Eve
      You're welcome, always keep up a positive handling with your tinnitus and whenever it gets stressful or you can hear it too loud, mask it with background noise. Just because you have a tinnitus for a few weeks or months doesn't mean that it will stay forever.

I had the problem, I was worrying way too much about my tinnitus. Although it was not very loud, there wasn't a single day where I have not thought and listened out for the noise in my ears (although I probably had a slight ringing my entire life, just didn't really notice it). I payed too much attention to changes in my ears and whenever the slightest thing changed, I was looking for an explanation, why. Sure, listening to your body is good, but not like that, you should never interpret too much into something. And now, after about 7 months, my attitude towards my tinnitus slowly starts to change for better. Plus, I'm starting a new music therapy in which you hear freqency filtered music to reduce the volume of your T.

• Like Like x 1
    16. George Sam

George Sam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Your story illustrates my case perfectly...with one difference that I have been suffering for 10 years since April, 2006.
      No cure has been brought about or was useful to me...only one period I felt better for a while it was few months ago i got betametzone (depot) injection...I heard a sound in my head like a bubble, sound became very low and concentrated slightly in the middle of the head ( previously in whole head and both sides left and right)

The good point in this group to meet people understand your situation.

Hope all we get better soon

17. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      AC/DC Concert
      Most seem to habilitate. -- Once the ear hairs are knocked down like hay (sorry for not being technical), there is now way for them to revive. It then becomes the nerve endings that can't determine what noise is (no hair protecting them) and they substitute it with the ringing.

The brain eventually blocks it out but you need to go on with your life and not dwell on it. -- I stumbled over the weekend by drinking/eating too much and mine has been spiking for 2 days but I know it will go down again because this happened to me twice before.

Don't join the UK forum. -- They are all very pessimistic for some reason.. -- Stay on this forum, eat right, exercise a little, and contact me anytime!

18. Genevieve

Genevieve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      car accident
      I really don't understand your doc, why Betahistine for God sake? It's for Menière desease, he should have give you the usual medication for acoustic trauma, namely cortisone and vasodiltator....

19. REDSNOW106

REDSNOW106 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise at Concert
      Sounds like another person who ignored the affects of the tinnitus and kept on harming their ears until the ringing never stopped, it's like what I told the other user Zora up here, nothing in this life lasts forever so protect what you do have and don't take it for granted, maybe it will go away maybe it won't, all you can really do is protect your ears from now on and and embrace the sound, I know it sound weird but by doing that over time u hardly notice it's there, some ppl do sound therapy I'm not sure affective that as far reversing the sound.

20. Vinnitus
      Bookworm

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Well Tinnitus appears to do so. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1