Noise Induced Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Michelle G, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at a concert
      Hello,
      My name is Michelle and I am 14 years old. On April 8th, 2017 I went to a benefit with a concert and I stood right by the speaker for a little over an hour. I then had very bad ringing in my ears that was constant and at a high frequeny. It took me a few hours to fall asleep, but when I woke up, the ringing was almost gone. I still went to urgent care after I woke up. My pediatrician "didn't see anything".

When I went to my bedroom to fall asleep the next day, all I could hear was ringing. Thankfully, I had no ringing the next day, but my ears feel extremely blocked and full of pressure. I went again to urgent care and saw another doctor. He also "saw nothing".

I booked an audiology and ENT appointment, but it's in a month. I've requested multiple times to have an earlier appointment, but it is "not a big deal" so they won't push it up. I have a lot of trouble falling asleep making me tired at school and very stressed. I have a sound machine in my room but it doesn't help when my ear is pressed on a pillow. Plus, I can't fall asleep without laying on my side (ear on pillow).

I was sick at the time I got tinnitus, but I have no fluid or wax buildup in my ear, so it must be unrealted. My ears are still blocked and ringing in quiet spaces.

I am very grateful that I do not notice it unless my ear is on a pillow, but it still prevents me from getting a good night sleep.

I have a few questions...

What is this blocked sensation and how do I get rid of it?

How long until my tinnitus will go away completely, or is it permanent?

My birthday is coming up and I am going to Six Flags (rollercoasters). Am I okay going on rides with altitude changes, wind pressure, etc.? Is it okay if the ride is upside down?

Also, I am visiting family over the summer. How do I survive the flight (23 hours to get to South Africa)?

What are some ways to help me sleep that I haven't already tried?

Do audiologists provide tinnitus maskers and do they work?

Does anyone know people my age going through the same thing that I can talk to?

Am I not able to go to concerts?

What should I ask the ENT?

Is noise induced tinnitus usually permanent?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just feeling really down and scared. Thank you all so much for hearing me out and I appreciate any response.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Michelle G
      Welcome to the forum.

Your doctor is doing the right thing by waiting for 4 weeks until you are seen at ENT. Usually they like to wait for at least 4 months preferably 6 months to see a patient with tinnitus. Unless the person is having additional problems such as: dizziness, pain in the ears or balance problems. What you have is noised induced tinnitus and the best treatment for that in the early stages is to do nothing! The ear is a very delicate organ and often things will settle down by themselves in time. The tinnitus will either go away or it will reduce to a low level and the person habituates to it.

If a person still has tinnitus after 6 months and hasn't habituated then it's time to look at treatment and there are various kinds available. I advise you not to listen to music through headphones even at low volume, as there's a risk of making your tinnitus worse. Also, keep away from loud sounds even if you wear noise reducing earplugs.

Please click on the links below and read my two articles. Tinnitus, A Personal View. I advise you to read that in full and not to rush through it. If you have a printer it's better to Print it rather than read it on the computer screen. The second article is: Hyperacusis, As I see it.

Try not to worry too much and use a sound machine or something similar for sound enrichment at night, instead of sleeping in a quiet room. More about this is mentioned in my article.

Best of luck
      Michael

PS: when you are seen at ENT allow them to ask you the questions.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      It's very common with noise-induced tinnitus, should go away with time.

Only time will tell. But most probably it will go away. It is very mild and you're very young. I bet it will.

If it doesn't go away, you will get better at handling it and it won't be such a big deal. Take care of your hearing in the future - you *have* to wear earplugs in loud places such as concerts for the rest of your life even if your tinnitus goes away. After getting temporary tinnitus when I was your age, I gave myself permanent tinnitus by going to a club with no hearing protection.

My advice would be - don't go to any concerts at all for the next few months. Later - you *have* to wear earplugs in loud places such as concerts for the rest of your life even if your tinnitus goes away.

Yes, it is. But not in your particular situation.

This is exactly why you should be very careful in the future even if your tinnitus goes away. I can't stress that enough.

I don't know. Consult a doctor. I'm more concerned about wind noise than pressure changes though.

Everyone is at the beginning. Your case is very mild, try not to worry too much.

Have I mentioned that you have to take extra care of your hearin even if your tinnitus goes away?

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Don't forget to mention that in the days following trauma, a course of steroids is an option.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Indeed @Foncky however, in the UK a GP is unlikely to prescribe steroids for tinnitus. I was against their use but have learnt they can help some people with early noise trauma so I agree with you.
      Michael

6. ryan1234
      No Mood

ryan1234 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @Michael Leigh @maltese these are some encouraging posts for me. I am roughly one month into the tinnitus and reading this thread gives me a lot of hope that it will either disappear or reduce to a barely noticeable level within the next few months!

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at a concert
      Thank you all so much!! I already cancelled my concert in august as I don't want to risk worsening my tinnitus even with ear plugs. I am going to ask my doctor about roller coasters, but what about a 24 flight? How does that affect tinnitus and the blockage in my ears in such high altidudes? Will I have to cancel my flight?