Noise-Induced Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by CrystalB, Jun 5, 2018.

1. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am wondering, if you get noise-induced tinnitus from a loud sound and it damages your ears, would you get hearing loss associated with that?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You might want to check out this Tinnitus Talk survey. One third of the people having tinnitus in general (all causes, not necessary noise induced), report no loss in the survey.

3. Nicholas
      Angry

Nicholas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      I have noise-induced tinnitus (both ears), I did the test and they discovered I haven't hearing loss. So no, it's not a must.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Me too, noise induced but hearing is still ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      When I visited my second ENT I started to get emotional about my t and the hearing loss (Noise Induced Hearing Loss over years) that caused it. The nurse looked at me and calmly said there are plenty of people with no hearing loss who have t too.

6. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Noise Induced but no hearing loss on a regular test.

They sometimes call it hidden hearing loss.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The hearing loss can be above the tested frquencies.
      Most likely there is hearing loss but it is at frequencies above 8khz.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      People may have a degree of hearing loss but not realize it.

• Like Like x 1
    9. RingerBell

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Or below the lower limit 125Hz. And sometimes lowest tone tested is 250Hz. For example, male voice fundamental frequency is often lower than 250Hz and it's not uncommon to have fundamental frequency below 100Hz.

10. RingerBell

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If threshold of normal hearing is considered to be around 20dB in the pure audiometry test, it still leaves much room for changes in hearing. And 0dB is not the lowest sound pressure level people in general hear, it just a reference level. If one has sensitive hearing, it can go below the 0dB in the pure tone audiometry, for example -5dB.

For example, if one would have very sensitive hearing in certain range, for example initial threshold could be -5dB. Afterwards threshold could be +15dB. That leaves some room to discuss whether or not hearing loss occurred...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    11. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I've had bad T from very loud noise exposure 2 times. No hearing loss.

12. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      How loud? If it's loud enough it will most definitely result with hearing loss. Although it may not be noticeable at first. Hearing loss is nothing magical. By the very definition, hearing loss is the loss of ability to hear. The only way that can happen is if you damage your ears, or a part of the brain that's essential for hearing which is less likely.

What is normal hearing? If you are told that you have normal hearing level, it does not necessarily mean that you don't have any damage to your ears. It may just mean that the damage is hard to detect. The basic hearing test is a behavioral test. It doesn't objectively verify that the cells are not damaged. It doesn't replace a microscope, but it's the best and only test we have right now. There are some more advanced tests that can be done, but they are mostly of interest to researchers in a lab setting.

I have noise induced hearing loss. I received an extremely loud noise, right in my ears! I jumped like one of those lab rats that scientists deafen for various lab experiments. I do have hearing loss, and I have evidence to show it. Moreover, my tinnitus has the same pitch as the noise I was exposed to. Also, my initial hearing test showed a 30 dB dip at 6000 Hz. Surrounding frequencies were at about 10 dB to 15 dB. Subsequent hearing tests showed a remarkable/impossible improvement at 6000 Hz, from 30 dB to 15 dB. A doubling! Remarkable improvement... then came the tinnitus... go figure.

13. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Do you think the loudness of your T depends on how much DB at 6 k your dip it. Does the T volume depends on the severity of the loss . My loss is at 6 k too but 70 bd. Only my left ears. I wonder if my T will be louder ?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Good question! Yes, that's the way I interpret my own experience. I had the in-ear phones in my ears when this sudden, extremely loud noise came on. It must have been at least 120 dB if not more. I instantly jumped and pulled them out but the damage was done.

As I recall it, my left ear felt like deafened for a short while but not so much my right ear. I didn't have any ringing immediately after. I figure my brain must have increased its sensitivity to compensate for the loss of hair cells. It must have been a narrow lesion in my left cochlea, because I can still hear 6000 Hz pretty well, or even "normal" if you ask my audiologist. By some magic trick, that 30 db dip has improved even though it's not supposed to since these cells don't regenerate.

The noise I was exposed to was almost like a pure tone. It was like one of those TV test screen tones, but only higher in pitch. It did have some overtones and harmonics, with average frequency centered at 5900 Hz. So at about 6000 Hz is where the most of the sound energy was at. The reason I know this is because I caught it on the sound recording, it was during a recording that the noise came on. So it's no wonder I had a 30 dB dip at 6k on the audiogram.

15. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      I´ll be happy the day people come on here, claiming to have no HL, assure us they have tested their upper hearing levels as well (8-20 kHz)

16. Angus William
      Gloomy

Angus William Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderate but long session with headphones
      I'd happily take a bit of hearing loss over listening to this high pitched ringing in my head. Four weeks in now and it makes one dysfunctional and the constant distractions needed are tiring. I'm here browsing for something similar to my predicament, with a view on recovery road.

The 8khz thing seems to be the common consensus. I got tested and the Doc said my hearing was perfect. Now I know about the 8khz thing, I'm not so sure it's perfect at all. It's probably high end cooked.