Noise Levels

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bart, Sep 8, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Bart
      Balanced

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      I have T from hearing damage and I was wondering what noise levels can increase my T.

I live in a city and next to a railroad and it can get pretty noisy, i often walk the dog or go out to eat with my wife outside next to traffic, cars honking there horns, squeeling brakes, screaming children etc etc.

Is this dangerous for my T, several doctors said that when it is outside it won't be much of a problem and i do not have to overprotect my ears, only at loud concerts or when other people should wear ear protection.

I used to just put ear protection in my left ear, the one with the T , when i went out to the city but recently the T spiked and i now seem to have it in my right ear as well occasionally, so i am confused, should i wear it in both ears or not at all in the loud city ?

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      I have ultra high pitched and severe hyperacusis a few years back. My T was sound reactive and my H turned all normal sounds into glassy, piercingly hurtful sensations as if my ears got drilled all the time. I had to wear ear plugs as I couldn't tolerate most noises, including the soft voice of my wife spoken too closely. I bought $200 worth of earplugs and earmuffs trying to protect my ears. But forum members advised me to be careful about over-protection from normal ambient sounds to avoid developing sound sensitivity or misophonia. So I began to take off the earplugs if reluctantly and slowly. Finally my H faded, and my T is no longer reactive to sound although it is still the same high pitch scream it was before. But I don't avoid normal sounds. Here is a guide line by ATA on sounds. Anything below 85db shouldn't be a major concern:

http://www.ata.org/for-patients/how-loud-too-loud

3. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      My "favourite" topic. And probably the one topic which will spark the most heated debates on this forum.

Consider what our ears were originally designed for - from an evolutionary perspective (ie. the quiet surroundings of nature). Now consider loud city noise and whatever else at 80 db (trains/cars/traffic) up to 100 db (eg. subway). Subtract your earplugs maximum decibal rating and you are still not close to what our ears were designed for. If protecting our ears for a couple of hours per day during noisy traffic is supposed to be so dangerous, then what would happen if you decided to stay indoors instead ie. working from home for eg. a year? Would you suddenly develop massive hyperacusis as a result? I haven't heard of anyone developing hyperacusis from sitting in their own home. Have you?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      No, because sitting at silent home and plugging ears at their very openings while there are noises ''noticible'' for the brain is not the same situation. If you're in silence, you're in silence and that's it , however, if you plug ears and the sounds are still there , but not loud enough to cause damage, the brain will freak out wanting to hear them and will try hard to tune them up so when you remove the plugs already brain will still be tuned up and now normal sounds will be tuned up too - that's how I understand H after having read some here and there. Anyway, for now most people who don't overprotect seem to be better than those who do, so the the choice seems clear. On the other hand there are different 'outsides'.. Obviously walking next to a busy road for a long time will not only be annoying for the ears but foe the mind too, at least it's my case, so I try to avoid it as much as possible. On the other hand we hardly ever spend long hours in such circumstance, so going shopping while cars are around should not be a big problem. Just be careful to foresee a loud noise - sirens, motorbikes and trucks - when those pass I cover my ears.

5. IreneO
      Busy

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma
      I do this too (cover my ears if a siren or loud truck is approaching) but sometimes noise happens without warning, especially in the urban environment. Twice so far this year, my T level has worsened because of sudden loud noise. Possibly exacerbated by anxiety response, but the spike was real and discernible and took me by surprise so it wasn't *just* anxiety. It was a total bummer, especially as I'd been habituating nicely after onset just over a year ago. So now I'm considering wearing earplugs while walking around the noisy city centre, which feels like a capitulation (I've been hardline about exposing myself to normal noise levels as much as possible) but I really don't want to keep regressing and having to re-habituate every couple of weeks. Hmm. :dunno:

6. Fangen
      Playful

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I am in the same boat. I have been exposed a few times to sudden noises, like fire alarms going off over my head and other things. I try to avoid to use ear plugs when walking on the streets, and I use ear plugs in the subway (when waiting for it on the platform because the trains can make that screeching noise when braking) but take them off when I am on the train, the trains here are fairly modern and block the noise from the train pretty well.
      But I have had a few scares (where anxiety made me feel that the T was worse, but in fact it wasn't). My increase is from TMJ I think, one day I had a really bad headache and sore jaw and the increased T has been with me since.
      Now recently I got a scare from a blow dryer and I can't figure out of if the spike is from the hair dryer (for 10 min) or if it because I am clenching my jaw in my sleep again. I would use earplugs when I know it's gonna be much traffic or in noisy subways. Otherwise I am all for trying to live as much as normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. IreneO
      Busy

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma
      @Fangen Unless it was the noisiest hairdryer in the universe, I'd say you'll be OK. :)

I was at my choir practice last night and got a nasty distortion effect when the choir hit high notes, which is new and a bit worrying. But I'm not going to stop singing ...

8. Fangen
      Playful

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Sorry to hear that Irene! I know that when you sing/yell/make any loud sound yourself, there is a bone in your jaw that pushes up towards the ear, which will block your ears from damage (of course you could probably yell and yell the loudest you can and eventually it might break your hearing) but with this body function I think you should be OK too :)
      Also, what is up with the motorbikes?? I was outside work taking some fresh air and I didn't see the bike behind me that started it's engine and it make that loud brumming noise for a second but my heart was about to pop out of my chest, both from being so surprised but also the loudness. Jesus, can we ban those freaking things?????

9. IreneO
      Busy

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma
      @Fangen Argh! My sympathies. Traffic can be so noisy and unpredictable. It doesn't help the anxiety levels, that's for sure. Wishing you a peaceful weekend with only relaxing noises :sleep:

10. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Hello to Ireland :) Could you tell what noises were you caught by that caused a spike ? I'm planning to visit Dublin and Ireland soon. Is Dublin louder than other cities ? In my imagination it's very peaceful :love:
      When it comes to singing it's not your voice that will damage your hearing but the voices of other singers around..but I understand you don't want to give up on this..

11. IreneO
      Busy

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma
      @Gosia Dublin can be pretty noisy in the city centre, heavy traffic, buses, ambulances ... There's a lot of construction happening as well. It's not the loudest city in the world but I would advise you bring earplugs just in case :headphone:

My own spike was caused by a roadworks drill and then noise from really loud speakers in a school I was working in. Both happened without warning. :dohanimation: