Non-Ototoxic Drugs for Acid Reflux?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Andrew Ingram, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Andrew Ingram

Andrew Ingram Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      workplace noise
      Hi there

I recently started getting acid reflux and my doctor prescribed me a course of Lansoprazole (Prevacid). I took one as soon as I got the pills. When I got home though I found out on Google that this drug can cause T. I haven't taken any more of them.

Anyone know of some GERD or Acid reflux drugs that don't cause T/are non-ototoxic

Kind regards, Andrew

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Half a Red apple with the peel - works great better than those drugs for me

• Like Like x 1
    3. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I take Tums which work instantly. Don't overdo it though cuz someone else on here reported they got kidney stones from taking too many Tums. However, I think the dosage they were taking was really high.

4. marxxx

marxxx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknows
      I see this is kind of old.... Sorry if you already found this info, but it's pretty useful so I will post it.

A lot of times acid reflux is actually caused by LOW stomach acid, not high stomach acid. So, taking a ppi to lower stomach acid would be the wrong treatment for those people.
      There is a supplement called Betaine HCL that will increase your stomach acid and may help if you are one of those with low stomach acid.
      As you may have guessed, this does not have any negative effects on the auditory system (that I have heard or read about anyway). This is cheap, available OTC and safe for those of us with tinnitus. There is tons of info if you do a google search that will get you started.

I am not a medical practitioner and not qualified to offer medical advice. Any info I post is just a suggestion and you should do your own research and discuss with a qualified medical practitioner.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1