Non-Ototoxic Medication for Panic Attacks?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by PrincessZelda, Jul 18, 2019.

1. PrincessZelda
      Anime

PrincessZelda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2 weeks on BuSpar
      Hi everyone,

So long story short, I have been dealing with panic disorder for more than a year now and originally was prescribed BuSpar which I was told was non-ototoxic, but it turns out it was and that is what caused my tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Anyways, the panic attacks are still interfering with my life and I don't think I will be able to maintain a job without taking medication for them. I am so very afraid that another anti-anxiety medication will make it worse.

Does anyone know of any medication that may be able to help me?

Thank you very much!

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      You don't need medication... dealing with panic attacks is simple. The method is very simple and counterintuitive and yet people seem to suffer from this from years sometimes, it's amazing to me and just goes to show the utter uselessness of doctors.

I have written about this before, I guess you could search for it, essentially you just embrace it, wait and hope for another attack, decide to explore it, by now you should know it will not hurt you.

In fact, why don't you go into your bedroom or somewhere private and do your best to get an attack? What have you got to lose?

Thing is, and you might know this, the expectation of getting an attack can cause an attack, so... break that cycle, get one willingly, or try, it's practically impossible.

After failing to do that, decide to wait for the next one with the plan of "enjoying", "exploring" it... then you will break the cycle and never have another attack.

Please try this, you are suffering for no reason and this works, absolutely guaranteed!
      It's barely a month since a friend of mine took this advice and it stopped his attacks in its tracks. He also did not believe me at first.

You might ask how would you muster the courage to "enjoy/explore" something so horrible ? Simple, you should look forward to never having a panic attack again ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. Tretred

Tretred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Remeron/stress/back issues?
      I take zoloft because I had debilitating anxiety and panic. It has been a godsend in my case. But I know zoloft has caused tinnitus for some people.

4. carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion (Wellbutrin), TMJ, possible ETD
      Hi there! Unfortunately everyone is different regarding medications. Lots of them CAN cause tinnitus, but of course doesn't mean they will in every single person who takes it. Just my personal story--I've been on many antidepressants and benzos in the past for panic disorder, and they have not affected my T at all (except Wellbutrin which caused it, but of course many people take that too and are fine). From what I've read, some can be ototoxic, but for me personally they weren't. I take Klonopin almost every day and it's been great for me, but of course there are also people who think it may have caused their tinnitus. It's very understandable to be hesitant when there are so many conflicting stories but personally, I wouldn't be able to function without anxiety meds right now. I hope it all works out!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PrincessZelda
      Anime

PrincessZelda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2 weeks on BuSpar
      I wish it was so simple, I have tried doing this for over a year now and it doesn't change. It is unfathomable on how strong these attacks are...I have tried everything in my power to control them, to ride them out, to push myself above them...nothing has helped me. I see no other option than to take medication except for the fear that my tinnitus will worsen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PrincessZelda
      Anime

PrincessZelda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2 weeks on BuSpar
      Thank you for your input. It's hard to decide on whether to take another anti-anxiety medication because I was initially lied to about the side effects of BuSpar for my panic attacks causing me to get tinnitus in the first place :/.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      This might work for some people, but this doesn’t work for everyone.

A panic attack can sometimes have a trigger and sometimes not have one. Just because you are “embracing it” doesn’t make it stop or diminish or make it less enjoyable. Your body is literally shutting down regardless of what your mind is thinking. Hence why it is called a panic attack, you can’t use logic and reason to stop it. It has to run its course and burn out.

This is like saying, “don’t feel the pain of burning your hand on a stove, just embrace it. Look forward to and continue seeking doing it. That way you won’t fear it.” It doesn’t make the burning of your hand hurt less or take away the pain afterward.

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh no, I'm so sorry! I'm about to get off Buspar myself. Luckily it didn't affect my tinnitus, but it's made me so dizzy that I can't function. I really wish doctors were more informed about potential side effects!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      How bad is your tinnitus today? I'm not functioning well today. I took some Klonopin but can't stop my noise. It's hard to tell where it's coming from but seems mostly left ear. The one I had barotrauma in and also the side I have some TMJ clicking/crunchiness at times.

• Hug Hug x 2
    10. carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry to hear that! Mine has been tolerable the past few days but I've also been really busy and distracted and for me I know it gets louder when I'm at home in the silence (I know not everyone is like that). I'm not sure if the Klonopin is helping the tinnitus or not or just keeping my anxiety down so I'm not thinking about it as much.

• Like Like x 1
    11. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      That is incorrect and not equivalent.
      And yes, it's that simple.

And you are wrong, the body is not shutting down, regardless of your mental state.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It’s not that simple to just stop panic attacks by embracing it. What aspect are you supposed to embrace? The ability not to catch your breath? The dizziness? The blurred vision? The intense over stimulation? The vomiting?

What aspect of these very disturbing symptoms are we supposed to get over and embrace? Just because someone knows what a panic attack is and knows it won’t kill them doesn’t make the panic attack less enjoyable...

This is the equivalent to telling some who is bothered by their tinnitus, that they aren’t trying hard enough to get over it.

“It's that simple, just get over your tinnitus by embracing it...” doesn’t seem to work for tinnitus, so why would it work for panic attacks?

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Meditation works, it's not ototoxic and doesn't have any known side effects, try this next time you get a panic attack, instead of relying on medication. If it still doesn't work, then head to your GP and ask for advice after telling him about your tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    14. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      vodka

15. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      With orange juice? Screwdriver?

16. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      upload_2019-7-24_8-14-28.png

17. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      That is a false equivalance and not comparable in any way. I know what I am talking about, feel free to throw in these strawman arguments if it makes you feel better, what can I say?

I could write an extensive explanation about the biological and psychological reasons for this but you would just ignore it, your loss I guess.

18. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What is your credentials in this area? I know PhDs in psychology who would strongly disagree with your statements.

You honestly believe people can just think away panic attacks? What about anxiety? What about depression?

People have physical triggers to these symptoms sometimes that aren't caused by environmental stressors that can effect someone's mental state. People can have thyroid issues causing chemical imbalances in their body, people can have chemical imbalances in their brain, people can also have adrenal gland disorders, etc. You can't think away or embrace panic attacks in these situations because your body is physically making you have it regardless of how your feeling mentally. A panic attack by definition is sudden without a cause. So how can you stop the panic attack if your not even sure what is causing it? An anxiety attack has a cause and a build up leading to an anxiety attack, which can have the same symptoms of a panic attack.

Please do write your extensive explanation so I can show it to my friend who is a PhD in psychology.

I think you are confusing someone having a fear of panic attacks vs actually having them. Sure, you can make someone not be afraid of panic attacks. Most people who have panic attacks stop being afraid of them after a couple because they recognize what it is and know the wont die from it. It is still very uncomfortable and dramatizing, but it isn't as scary.

I understand what your trying to say, but throwing a blanket statement like you did it 100% wrong. I highly suggest you never say this to someone in real life who suffers from a panic disorder or any type of anxiety disorder because it will not end well. Try telling a veteran with PTSD that they can easily get over their panic attacks by just embracing it and seeking it out.

If this worked as easily as you say it does, it would be more well known and destroy the psychology industry. People would be preaching this left and right, but apparently it isn't. I would love to see some studies on this method proving it is more effective than CBT or medication for people who have diagnosed anxiety and panic disorders.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      RaZaH, like others here, is entitled to an opinion...

20. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's "weak"/different compared to benzos or whatever, but you could try reishi, ashwaganda and most importantly CBD. It's generally beneficial to take these herbs for many reasons, so there's no real loss

It can be expensive and hard to find good brands though.

Ashwaganda and reishi takes effect with daily use, as does CBD. But CBD can also work when taken "as needed"

I don't have panic attacks so I can't predict if it would work for that specifically

21. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      DOES NOT WORK FOR SEVERE TINNITUS!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Says you, I have had severe tinnitus for almost a month, meditation works to some degree, it's harder to achieve, especially if you go for a flow state, but it's not impossible, I talk from experience.

• Informative Informative x 1
    23. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      @Jack Straw
      I am ok with us just having different opinions about this.

24. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't have 'your severe' tinnitus. I have 'my severe' tinnitus. So, yeah, I say! Geez. I say it doesn't work if t is severe.

25. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are right, you don't, everyone's tinnitus is different. To put things into perspective, I could barely read over a sentence, let alone post here while my tinnitus was severe, in fact, I didn't.

Everyone's perception of tinnitus and ability and way to cope are different, so I won't presume meditation would work for you, I am sad it doesn't and you are suffering and do hope you will get better, that said it can and does work for some sufferers, including some with severe tinnitus, because it does not work for you, does not mean it won't work for them.

26. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi PeteJ, my tinnitus is relentless and soul crushing.
      Everyday is a challenge.
      I often dabble, still, with suicidal ideation.
      I know you do too.
      I have posted to you before.
      We need to try everything possible until the medical community comes up with something that works for you , or me.
      Everybody here is on your side and knows your in agony.
      I am so sorry brother,
      For both of us, for anyone here in pain.
      Hoping you feel a tiny bit better really soon.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      No one knows.

An exotic car just drove by. I covered my ears. I didn't think I had time for my muffs. I don't know how I will get custom plugs.

What is the point? I have defective ears, hearing loss and a malfunctioning brain. I don't want to live this anymore!!!! Why doesn't society have euthanasia?!?!?!!!!?

Instead people are told to call useless hotlines! I hate this fucking society!

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      No one is coming up with anything to treat this. I am not in denial. I just want my suffering to end. It is difficult to do it myself but I will eventually.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I understand.
      I am in a lot of pain.
      I have kids, I couldn’t hurt them with me leaving now.
      Maybe you can hold on for FX-322, or Lenire.
      Things are gonna get better over the next few years I believe.
      I suggest you cope with the pain, perhaps get some Valium.
      I am not a doctor and all these smart people on the forum have given you good advice.
      My friend, just hold on, try hot baths, try breathing, try drugs, try everything with all your heart. If you have done that, then I accept and understand your decision 100 percent.
      I was just trying to be helpful.
      The hearing regeneration companies is where I am putting my hopes. They have successfully had a phase 1 trial in the states and the UK and are getting millions on top of millions in investor money. This means they know what their doing.
      Until these guys come to the rescue, we need to stand our ground.

Hang tight young man.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PrincessZelda
      Anime

PrincessZelda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2 weeks on BuSpar
      Yes, I agree that doctors and all medical professionals should be more informed. It seems that most know nothing about the side effect, it's very disheartening.