Not a Forum I Expected to Need...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ceaslessringing, Sep 6, 2016.

1. ceaslessringing

ceaslessringing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cotton Swab
      About two weeks ago I used a cotton swab after a shower like every other day, but the result was dramatically different. I immediately lost 90% of my hearing. The following nights I tried every conceivable method to remove what I thought was wax deep inside my ear. A persistent ringing developed which has never gone away.

Two days after the shower incident I finally succumbed and went to urgent care and was told my ear was "spotless" but that my eardrum was "warped and inflamed." I was prescribed antibiotics and ear drops, which I took religiously (the ringing was driving me mad).

Three days after I visited urgent care I went to an ENT. He told me my eardrum was impacted with wax and infected. He used a vacuum to remove the wax which immediately restored my hearing, but did nothing to stop the ringing. After my numerous pointed questions about the ringing, and with his foot halfway out the door, the doctor told me the ringing "may never go away." It was crushing news.

Its been two weeks since the shower incident and the ringing is still endless. I'm out of antibiotics and praying to God the ringing goes away even though I'm not religious. The antibiotics caused me to throw up numerous times and the ringing makes me thoroughly nauseous by midday. A video from William Shatner about his tinnitus spoke more to me than any video ever has -- I was in tears. The only difference between us is that I'm 25 and have been extremely careful my entire life about protecting my hearing, and yet here we both are.

This experience has taught me that people struggle to empathize with what the cannot see. I'm sure I've encountered numerous people with tinnitus and never knew it. The hope that it will go away and the realization that life can go on even if it doesn't have been what has kept me going. Thanks to everyone who share their stories and support to let others with tinnitus know they aren't alone (y).

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      @ceaslessringing Hi sorry to read your story. I hope your ringing will go away.Your story reminds me of when I first got it and how I felt... If it doesn't things will get better. The first month is tough. After a while you won't hear it most of the time. You will get used to it. Make sure you get some sleep .. very important. use masking if necessary. You actually are doing pretty good, it took me about a month to start to feel better.Take care of your ears. good luck

• Like Like x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Besides a video of his own, Shatner also went to the show of David Letterman who has 2-tone T himself (to my utter surprise) and both of them talked about their T in a more lighter spirit due to the nature of the comedy show. I had a big laugh when I first saw the video and I felt relief that even after T and after the initial struggle, people, even celebrities like them can still recover to live a normal, even productive life like them. With that realization and with other strategies I mention in my success story, I turned around from my ultra high pitch dog whistle T and severe H. Here are the links for Shatner & Letterman and my story. Hope they will help you. Take good care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

David Letterman with William Shatner - March,...

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ceaslessringing

ceaslessringing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cotton Swab
      That's an excellent description of what I'm hearing 24/7. Thank you guys for the support!