Not All Doom and Gloom?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hardwell, Dec 8, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Hardwell

Hardwell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27/10/2015
      My knowledge on tinnitus is extremely poor if I'm being honest, but I've encountered people in the real world who have claimed to of had T or know people who have had T that has just disappeared after weeks, months and even years?

I have no idea if there's any truth behind this and I can't seem to find anything that isn't negative on this site?

I'm a month and a half in with my T and I'm preparing myself for it to be a lifetime issue and that's fine. But I was just curious if T could infact disappear on its own accord for no reason?

2. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      Yes, T can disappear on it's own. Many people have their tinnitus disappear over time. And for those who don't (like myself), the grand majority go on to habituate to the noise and have it cause them very little (if any) issues in their day to day lives. The first months are the worst, as you're probably experiencing now. But in time, your brain will slowly habituate to the sound where it will bother you less and less, to a point where you won't hear it nearly as often, or for some people at all. (@Dr. Hubbard told me that he only hears his if he listens for it. I'm certainly not there, but I hear mine less and less all the time, and it causes me zero emotional stress when I do hear it... And before anybody asks, mine is quite loud. Can be heard over the television, and all other ambient noise in any room)....

If you have any questions, let me know.

Good luck,

Eric

• Like Like x 2
    3. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Hardwell,
      Tinnitus can go as fast as it came so stay positive.
      Life with tinnitus sure can be a roller coaster but even a life with tinnitus can be wonderful if you make it that way.
      Stay positive and fill your life with everything you love and people that you love and family and friends.
      I get more out of life giving than getting and know what makes me happy...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Hardwell

Hardwell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27/10/2015
      Thank you for the support and positive messages guys!

@eric peterson I got used to the noise within 3 weeks, it's a super high pitched noise but I didn't find it too annoying but I was exposed to a loud noise on Sunday and now have a lower pitch noise in my other ear which is frustrating, the only thing that irritated me about T was thinking of all the things I couldn't do because I had T.. And then I realised there's actually nothing T stops me doing, only difference for me is that if I go to a night club I should wear ear protection.

@glynis-harbron I'm yet to identify the cause of my T yet as I've only seen Gp's im about to make an appointment with an ENT. I've realised I can still do great things because T is not a physical disability and I have learned to love spending time with friends and family again which is great. While I hope my T does just dissapear, I'm certainly ready for a life with it if it doesn't xx

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.

When T goes away on its own does it normally slowly diminish on its own or do you just wake up one day and its gone all together? Has anyone ever posted on this? Not habitating but actually recovering from it completely? As I understand it habituation is more like your body learning not to elicit an emotional reaction to the T and letting it slip into the background more and more but the sound can still be heard on occasion, correct?

6. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Hi Natalie, Yes, I have heard of people who had their tinnitus go away - woke up with it gone, it slowly faded etc., both can happen. Habituation is what you say. I rarely notice mine these days and when I hear it I really don't care, which is a gift in my book.

@Hardwell, you T could still go away, but if it doesn't try not to think this is a sentence of doom. Habituation happens for most people over time. A life with T doesn't have to be bad. I have it, so does my father and many people I know personally and they all live full, happy lives. You're in the worst part of it right now, but it's very unlikely you will feel this bad forever assuming it doesn't go away. Hang in there!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      Natalie,

I don't really know to be honest with you. I've heard of ppl's tinnitus going away. If you made me guess, I'd guess it slowly fades, but I honestly have no idea. And I'd guess (at least from my own experience) that many people who habituate, will say that their tinnitus is quieter now than it was in the beginning. I often feel like mine is. But that can also be just the passage of time and getting used to it. Mine used to be a hornet in my ear, now it's more of a mosquito. But I can still hear it over the television at normal volume, and can still hear it outside at times (and I live and work in Manhattan). To me that's habituation. I've gotten used to the noise, and it doesn't really bother me anymore. I don't react to it the way I used to (like you said), I seek the noise out far less often, so I hear it less often. I'm shooting for hearing it never. Maybe that's aggressive. But that's my goal.

• Like Like x 3
    8. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      @awbw8 I see. Thanks for your insight! ;)

@eric peterson it does sound like you've made so much progress and are living a relatively normal and happy life. I hope that for everyone in this group! ;)

9. Thericker

Thericker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2010
      Mine actually spiked the day before it left for good. Had it for 4.5 months and just woke up and it was gone. Came back 5.5 years later (just this oct) but I can only hear it at night this time around.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. Asvalian
      Chatty

Asvalian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      25/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown at the moment, prob hearing lost/stress.
      Tinnitus is like having a guy inside your head that randomly decides to play an intrument, and with the same fashion decides to go away, just like playing the lottery!

11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. It can be: Mild, moderate, severe or extremely severe. It can be in one ear or both (bilateral) It can be in both ears and also in the middle of the head. It can fluctuate in intensity by the hour or remain constant. When tinnitus is severe it can be extremely debilitating. Unfortunately that is the sad truth.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1