Not Sure If I Actually Have ETD...

Discussion in 'Support' started by grotulon, May 27, 2017.

1. grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Soo.. My ear is muffled, and the sound is very dampened, if I plug my good ear near my fan, I can hear the fan, but I can't hear the clattering it makes, but once I unplug my good ear, I can hear it.

Thing is... if I push down on the bad ear, the sound resumes and I can hear everything that my good ear can...

And sometimes I hear a kinda.. pop? but it sounds like maybe someone flicked my ear drum gently...

It's annoying for sure

I actually had my ears popped in a way where the pressure was almost gone and I could ear.. interesting.

Also moving my jaw seems to determine how much I can hear from that ear, only sometimes though.. strange

2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It's hard to say based on your description. What you're describing could also be caused by impacted wax. I've had ETD/glue ear for around 3 months; particularly my right ear. Mine is caused by allergies.

I've got a very detailed understanding of my Eustachian tubes, because just like diving experts, I can voluntarily contract my Tensor Veli Palatini muscle to open and close my tubes at will. I can constantly contract them over and over repeatedly, and I can also voluntarily hold them open. One way I know they are clear (or at least there's a gap) is if I hum whilst holding my tubes open. If they are clear my voice will resonate inside my head (go into my Eustachian tubes essentially).

The only way you can force air up into them if they are blocked is via the valsalva manoeuvre, or using a device like an otovent or earpopper. When I do the valsalva (very gently, I'd add) I can clearly hear and feel the mucus gurgling and moving around.

I know when mine are blocked because my tubes just won't open (the mucus holds them shut). I spent weeks inhaling steam and taking nasal steroids, but in my case it still hasn't resolved. It has improved, however.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I might add when I do the valsalva, it either fixes it, or makes it harder to hear. and then a pop will happen and then it goes back to being muffled hearing.

4. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Goto an ENT and have do a nasal endoscopy and they can check.
      It likes like less then a minute.

• Like Like x 1
    5. cathcath

cathcath Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      microsuction
      Hi Grotulon! I saw your post about Micro suction.. I had it done too and instant horror noise pain,and now 3 months in LOUD tinnitus and hyperacusis.. AWFUL. The ENT didn' use a micro scope..just used the machine. terrifyingly loud and my worst nightmare. It s ended my life Did you sue your ENT?